test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Commendation to Cryptic/PWE

cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi, good morning. Even though it appears this bug/exploit was reported in closed beta and should have been dealt with, the current dilemma, in my eyes, could not have been handled better. Not even a 24 hour rollback took place. They pinpointed nearly an exact time where this began. They put up a well worded FAQ. All(I hope) items have been returned to people(zen included). They are going to drop the ban hammer on those who exploited(and hopefully those who had a peripheral involvement such as profiteering from this). They are going to send out a "thank you package". How they handled this, they are keeping me as a playing for now.

Just wanted to give a quick thanks and thank you for your hard work over the weekend.

This thread isnt meant to start a debate. I just wanted to thank them since they are probably receiving a lot of flak right now.
Post edited by cesmode8 on

Comments

• Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    They pinpointed nearly an exact time where this began.

A-hahahahahah...ahhahahhahhhh... can't breath ....... hahahahahaha....
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    Well said.

Think they handled the communication fairly well (best i've seen up till now) with Twitter, Facebook and Forum (eventually..) posts..

Everyone just seems to get VERY emotional about this rollback, while it's definately the best of evils.
  • Options
    aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »

You need a break forum forums. I am certain if you were in charge the current population would have dropped by at least 90%.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1. Very well played.

Damning with faint praise indeed, though I wonder how many people will take your post at face value.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sirkimjong wrote: »
    Well said.
    It took them over 12 hours to even notice there was an issue after it being widely talked about on this forum.

They did NOTHING for the longest time after knowing this was happening, they didn't take the gateway or servers down until ages after this occurred.
  • Options
    kyrosiriskyrosiris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aronwen wrote: »
    You need a break forum forums. I am certain if you were in charge the current population would have dropped by at least 90%.

The only people who would leave due to a complete wipe are those who care about their own stuff more than the long-term health of the game.

One would think that the game would be better off without them.
  • Options
    epictrilogyepictrilogy Member Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    hey man because they did so well you can now buy a cat for REAL CHEAP... Good job Cryptic!
  • Options
    epictrilogyepictrilogy Member Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    kyrosiris wrote: »
    The only people who would leave due to a complete wipe are those who care about their own stuff more than the long-term health of the game.

I have said this so many times.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    hey man because they did so well you can now buy a cat for REAL CHEAP... Good job Cryptic!

True dat. 20 silver cats for all.
  • Options
    sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    It took them over 12 hours to even notice there was an issue after it being widely talked about on this forum.

They did NOTHING for the longest time after knowing this was happening, they didn't take the gateway or servers down until ages after this occurred.

Let's face it, if they took the servers down earlier, you would've cried about the longer downtime. I'm just saying they did okay, I've followed twitter and they responded very quickly there. Forum posts SHOULD've been a bit faster but it's already better than a few weeks ago.

They'll catch on eventually, I pray. Ps. I'm not a fanboy, I just enjoy this game and want it to last longer than a few weeks. I've spend a few bucks (20 euros) up till now and won't pay more till it's all fixed. Exploits are CRYPTIC's fault from the source, the way they handle it can be better.

That said, the rollback was needed and it's alright by me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Let's face it, if they took the servers down earlier, you would've cried about the longer downtime.
    And you know that how?

I haven't played for days so I would have lost nothing.

If containing the situation isn't the top priority something is wrong.
    I'm just saying they did okay, I've followed twitter and they responded very quickly there. Forum posts SHOULD've been a bit faster but it's already better than a few weeks ago.
    They did not do ok, I don't mean they should respond to the posts but actually DO something, the whole forum (just like now) were filled with people talking about this issue but apparently they don't even monitor it.

And the number of people using twitter is pretty low.
  • Options
    gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Excuse me? Why exactly should I care about 'the long term health of the game'? I care only about how much fun I get for my gaming dollar. I'm not here to subsidise PW. I'm a well-paying customer ($150 plus so far) whose paid for a product - with time and money - that product being my character.

There are plenty of good MMO's and if this one goes belly-up then that's too bad. Maybe next time PW will learn they need to do a better job. It's not my job to worry about the long term health of the game.

The company promised no character reset and I expect them to hold to that promise no matter what. They don't and PW lose a customer with plenty of disposable gaming income to a competitor.
  • Options
    gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Let's face it, if they took the servers down earlier, you would've cried about the longer downtime. .

Let's face it - those people who base their arguments on what they imagine the behaviour of their opponents might have been in other totally hypothetical situations have already lost the argument.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Excuse me? Why exactly should I care about 'the long term health of the game'?

Well when people bail on the game because the economy is in shambles, you can have your $150 worth of fun by yourself, I guess.

Pretty expensive masturbation session, though.
  • Options
    aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013

It's not about a wipe, it's about a wipe when ever there is a problem, and wipes only benefit exploiters in the long run anyways.
  • Options
    ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

In your world, things get done instantly. That's not how businesses work.

It was not widely spread like it became today. This is when it began, as far as the problem being so bad that it needed to be taken care of ASAP.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Excuse me? Why exactly should I care about 'the long term health of the game'? I care only about how much fun I get for my gaming dollar. I'm not here to subsidise PW. I'm a well-paying customer ($150 plus so far) whose paid for a product - with time and money - that product being my character.

Actually, you don't own the character. No one ever owns their MMO characters.

What you paid for is the fun, and hopefully more fun yet to come.
    There are plenty of good MMO's and if this one goes belly-up then that's too bad. Maybe next time PW will learn they need to do a better job. It's not my job to worry about the long term health of the game.

The company promised no character reset and I expect them to hold to that promise no matter what. They don't and PW lose a customer with plenty of disposable gaming income to a competitor.

You should be worried about the long-term health of the game, as the longer it lasts the more fun it will provide for the amount you paid.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am going to earn my cat the regular way. Then I am going to name her Duchess. I hope they introduce cat treats into the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Actually, you don't own the character. No one ever owns their MMO characters.

What you paid for is the fun, and hopefully more fun yet to come.

You should be worried about the long-term health of the game, as the longer it lasts the more fun it will provide for the amount you paid.

They specifically promised No Character Reset. I invested time and money purely on that basis. I would gain completely negative 'fun' from retracing all my steps. I would gain anger and annoyance and a permanent intention never to give PW another cent.

No Reset is completely non-negotiable.
  • Options
    rawrev0rawrev0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even though it appears this bug/exploit was reported in closed beta and should have been dealt with, the current dilemma, in my eyes, could not have been handled better.

This dilemma could not have been dealt with better? A wipe is needed to clear this dilemma. The economy on Dragon is still destroyed after this "sudden" exploit. Want to know something funny? This bug was way older than Closed Beta or even Alpa Tests of NW, the exact same bug was abused for weeks in STO and btw the foundry powerlevel abuse was in STO too, WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT? How can they do such a miserable Job again after learning about it 2 years ago?

Give me a good reason why they would rollback a couple of hours back, when it's not so that people would move away from this utter failure it is currently? This game needed a wipe, not a rollback.

They pinpointed nearly an exact time where this began.

Yup, literally years ago. And in NW it was abused weeks ago allready, so they just "removed" the dilemma it caused on 1 day which was gigantic, yes, but still there was alot more to it.

They are going to drop the ban hammer on those who exploited(and hopefully those who had a peripheral involvement such as profiteering from this). They are going to send out a "thank you package".

Ofcourse they will ban those who are abusing such an easy exploit. But this is not what they should prioritize right now. This absolutely destroyed the faith of alot of people in cryptic, as they release 1 failure after another. "Thank you package" my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, more like "Stay with us on this sinking boat a little longer, so we get more money off of ya."

I do like this game, but not for much longer as there is like 1 huge Dilemma every week and they knew about all those exploits/bugs since closed beta/alpha as they were reported there by many people or even longer than that.
    Cryptic is a bunch of amateurs atm. They have to step their game up.

I said it many times before but this game needs a Wipe and them putting down the servers until the Gateway and AH exploits are gone, they have to fix the foundry while at it.

Regards
  • Options
    manduchessmanduchess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    You are all oblivious. They just ignored the issue. The economy is ruined and so is their game. This exploit has been going on since day one. They failed hard. Enjoy your dead game because they cant even read their own forums where 70% of players who voted wanted a full wipe because real players realize it was needed. But of course PWE will fail.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No Reset is completely non-negotiable.

Yeah, who needs an "economy".
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Last time I offer up a public thank you :)