test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To all those raging and announcing to quit

thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
MMOs - I have played them all since Ultima Online was in its prime.

Over the first years I became kind of addicted, I've started to apply for betas and after a while I got them, open as well as closed (mostly for german language versions).

I remember when I played the closed beta for Lord of the Rings Online....man was I SAD when they announced the wipe in the end. We all knew it was coming but I still felt cheated of all my progress, my experiences and my memories.

I continued to play it when it went live until the F2P change but that experience changed my attitude and I decided to stay away from closed betas after that and in the last 2 years I also stayed away from open betas for games I expected to like enough to fully commit myself. I didn't want to spoil the fun in playing bugged content, risk brutal nerfs of my favourite classes/powers/weapons or have to get along with half-baked trading/guild/PvP features.

I made an exception for Neverwinter just because I wanted to study the Foundry to be prepared when the game finally goes Live. I fast-levelled a character to 15 just for the Foundry access and to my surprise realized, I actually loved the game allready - so I continued playing, this time fully enjoying the ride.

But I ALWAYS knew that enjoying content was a risky business because it's still beta, open or not. I could have frozen my character, just praying daily for ADs and wait until the game goes Live, exploring the Foundry in the meantime but I wanted to play SO MUCH that I took the risk.

So this is the message:

If participating in an open beta we always risk that several things will happen that completely spoil our fun, make our efforts worthless or our RL investments questionable. On the other hand its human to be eager to try out new things and most gamers simply want to be "first".
So we all made the conscious decision not to wait until most things are ironed out but to enter the fray right now. And we all have to be ready to pay the price for being "first". Those who aren't should stay away from open betas from now on.

This 7 hour rollback wouldn't make it in my "worst 10 list" of beta experiences and I am 100% sure a lot of us had far worse in the past.
In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
Post edited by thestoryteller01 on

Comments

• Options
    xezek12xezek12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Completely Agree with OP
  • Options
    riotwarriorriotwarrior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you 110%. Everybody on this forum is spitting venom @ PWE/Cryptic. Technically it isn't their fault, and before someone quotes this and says it is, who's to say taking the shards down wasn't a last resort effort? Along with the AD Exchange/Auction House? It's the exploiters, and all PWE/Cryptic can do now is find the middle-ground between right and wrong and implement it. But I've dealt with wipes, rollbacks, and a 3-day maintenance. Come at me and say 'oh its a soft launch' but no everyone, it's still in beta. This is what we have to deal with, and be glad it was sought out before the game release.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree. I lost more time due to rollbacks and server crashes in nearly every other MMO I played around launch. WoW was arguably the worst, but UO also had plenty of rollbacks for months when it launched. Still loved it, still miss it. UO, that is.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    v1spockv1spock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree with OP. A 7 hour rollback is nothing, barely trivial on my radar. Anyone that quits because of lost progress that amounted to not much more than a frakking nap, probably was not going to play NW for the long haul anyway. SO good riddance for us that plan on playing a long time.
    Live long and prosper
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ultima Online...brings back good memories ahh the random player explosions glitch and zones that would eat themselves . Ultima has had some of the greatest bugs known to man.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I agree. I lost more time due to rollbacks and server crashes in nearly every other MMO I played around launch. WoW was arguably the worst, but UO also had plenty of rollbacks for months when it launched. Still loved it, still miss it. UO, that is.
    Luckily I started playing UO when it was mostly bug-free but I remember Everquest, where we had hour long rollbacks still years after the release ;)
  • Options
    dalnar83reborndalnar83reborn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Generally I agree with the sentiment..BUT.

When you start selling stuff, it stops being beta more or less. The main problem is that the "beta" label is currently (ab)used in the game industry when you sell unfinished product. More or less.

As someone who started a new toon and wanted to give the game try - only to see his 7h weekend progress gone, I'm not sure I have the energy to repeat it, with the damocles sword above my head and the somewhat high possibility that it will happen again.

Maybe I will just wait for a new server to be opened.
    --- sarcasm is a dish best served hot ---
  • Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013

UO is still around
  • Options
    srswtffailsrswtffail Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my 200 dollar founder pack says the game is released
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

This 7 hour rollback wouldn't make it in my "worst 10 list" of beta experiences and I am 100% sure a lot of us had far worse in the past.
    It is among the worst 10 in my book since it doesn't actually fix anything.

(And I'm as veteran a player as you are).
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Generally I agree with the sentiment..BUT.

When you start selling stuff, it stops being beta more or less. The main problem is that the "beta" label is currently (ab)used in the game industry when you sell unfinished product. More or less.

As someone who started a new toon and wanted to give the game try - only to see his 7h weekend progress gone, I'm not sure I have the energy to repeat it, with the damocles sword above my head and the somewhat high possibility that it will happen again.

Maybe I will just wait for a new server to be opened.

This is just what I am talking about. It doesn't matter if the game is "mislabelled" as Open Beta or not.

It's like paying the ticket for a movie that doesn't have reviews yet, buying a book just for the blurb (which i do btw) or getting a shows season dvd right after watching the pilot. Its always the decision to either wait and research before spending money and the urge to get something right now no matter what.

But in the end of the day it was MY decision to buy that movie ticket, book or dvd - or Founder Pack
  • Options
    zorpennzorpenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    v1spock wrote: »
    I completely agree with OP. A 7 hour rollback is nothing

Well, i can play only once a week (if at all), and that was yesterday. So for me its whole week not 7 hours, because i wont be able to do same progress till next weekend.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  • Options
    demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WoW was arguably the worst

I can't stand WoW but this is nonsense. The WoW launch was very good. There were problems but to say that was the worst is such a lie. It was actually one of the best.

Star Trek online was by far the worst. You had the federation vs the klingons BUT they hadn't even made any quests for the Klingon side ALL you could do was pvp with them. My lord the amount wrong with that game at launch was unparalleled.
  • Options
    wangskiwangski Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well for me its the final middle finger, I've not been really getting into the game, dont really see why its called neverwinter its just 'Generic action grinder game 1.0' to me. 4e rules this is apparently? glad I played D+D when it was D+D. I find myself staring at my tradeskill window then logging to my alt to do the same. So yesterday I thought, well I'll give it a go and see if i can power through. So I spent 3-4 hours leveling and questing found a couple of nice items and got some dungeon loot (despite the ever present tard rolling need on everything), now I find I've lost all the effort I put in trying to get into the game
    oh well, moving on...

laters
    jell0r
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    demamp wrote: »
    I can't stand WoW but this is nonsense. The WoW launch was very good. There were problems but to say that was the worst is such a lie. It was actually one of the best.

WoW wasn't playable its first week, maybe longer. It is like SimCity x3.
  • Options
    missunderztooodmissunderztoood Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    2671659253_9c99da1237.jpg

Be honest with yourself, this is what a lot of you are doing.
  • Options
    xakanrnxakanrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    MMOs - I have played them all since Ultima Online was in its prime.

Over the first years I became kind of addicted, I've started to apply for betas and after a while I got them, open as well as closed (mostly for german language versions).

I remember when I played the closed beta for Lord of the Rings Online....man was I SAD when they announced the wipe in the end. We all knew it was coming but I still felt cheated of all my progress, my experiences and my memories.

I continued to play it when it went live until the F2P change but that experience changed my attitude and I decided to stay away from closed betas after that and in the last 2 years I also stayed away from open betas for games I expected to like enough to fully commit myself. I didn't want to spoil the fun in playing bugged content, risk brutal nerfs of my favourite classes/powers/weapons or have to get along with half-baked trading/guild/PvP features.

I made an exception for Neverwinter just because I wanted to study the Foundry to be prepared when the game finally goes Live. I fast-levelled a character to 15 just for the Foundry access and to my surprise realized, I actually loved the game allready - so I continued playing, this time fully enjoying the ride.

But I ALWAYS knew that enjoying content was a risky business because it's still beta, open or not. I could have frozen my character, just praying daily for ADs and wait until the game goes Live, exploring the Foundry in the meantime but I wanted to play SO MUCH that I took the risk.

So this is the message:

If participating in an open beta we always risk that several things will happen that completely spoil our fun, make our efforts worthless or our RL investments questionable. On the other hand its human to be eager to try out new things and most gamers simply want to be "first".
    So we all made the conscious decision not to wait until most things are ironed out but to enter the fray right now. And we all have to be ready to pay the price for being "first". Those who aren't should stay away from open betas from now on.

most are not raging about 7 hr rollback but fact that it done nothing to fix a broken economy with weeks of flooding of ill gotten money .
    Most want a proper wipe and know they are playing and investing in a game which has a future not a broken economy and exploited level 60s toons with exploited gear
    Ofc if this happened say months after launch i say no option but to continue but it happened early in NW life and should have been adressed properly
  • Options
    rubtherobrubtherob Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Totally agree.
    Got same situation with TS.
    Played most of well known titles starting from UO.
    Bad things happen.
    Much worse things happen.
    This rollback is nothing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xakanrn wrote: »
    most are not raging about 7 hr rollback but fact that it done nothing to fix a broken economy with weeks of flooding of ill gotten money .
    Most want a proper wipe and know they are playing and investing in a game which has a future not a broken economy and exploited level 60s toons with exploited gear
    Ofc if this happened say months after launch i say no option but to continue but it happened early in NW life and should have been adressed properly
    I have supported a full wipe in other threads but I dont see it coming because 80% of the players would rage-quit then. Here on the boards is only a minority of the player base. Sadly a large number of players are so "casual" you can allready call them ignorant, they don't give a rats tail for anything beside their own character progress.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    futrix wrote: »
    WoW wasn't playable its first week, maybe longer. It is like SimCity x3.
    In all fairness it was in another time, network/server issues were harder to fix back then.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    hotsoophotsoop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i didn't play yesterday and I'm still affected by the rollback i lost 3 levels and all the gear ,quests and diamonds i had :| it must be the last 7 hours you play or else i don't get it ... and I'm not sure i will play anytime soon, they can do it again now ,tomorrow ,the day after and will be a waste of time ...
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've quit, I am in no way posting this on the forums and I am not playing the game right now.

I'm also known to BS.
  • Options
    lmn1182lmn1182 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't call it rage quitting. I would call it not wanting to lose our progress. I believe that is understandable and justifiable. It also sets a precedent for further down the line. Game economies change at the drop of a hat, or release of content as it may well be.

Regarding WoW i think you are looking at it through rose coloured glasses. The launch was terrible. The EU server I was in was unstable for literally months with frequent DT, DC and a hundred other acronyms. The AH was forever down, mail would go missing and the PvP suffered every problem Neverwinter has. The launch of Burning Crusade was more of the same.

People see a few threads on a forum and then use the words "most", "majority" but that is not very accurate. There will always be a loud vocal minority on game forums. Eve has probably had the worst followed by WoW.

STO was an unmitigated disaster. There is no defence for that game. Cryptic should have done what the previous developer did and cut their losses.

I do however, love the way you insult other players just because you and a few others feel that wiping the game would improve it magically. It won't.
  • Options
    endersxetendersxet Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, reading "I quit posts" aren't so bad at all. In fact that it's a good thing to let the seller know that their game/items sucks! However what really blows for MMO forums are these folks that want to slap a wall of TEXT in your face about how crazy in love they are with the game and seller. Those kinds of fan boys n' girls are beheld a lot worse than the folks that simply say, BYE. Just thought I'd let all the brown-nosers know a little wisdom lest ye have none.