test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Other foundry guys are the only decent reviewers

chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Because they understand the mechanics of your quest and the work that goes into it.

So bored of the '<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> loot' reviews.

That is my two cents.
My new quest:

WIP
Post edited by chinspinner on

Comments

• Options
    nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Because they understand the mechanics of your quest and the work that goes into it.

That is my two cents.

Yea people who haven't created their own Foundry quest don't realize it can take a week or two just to make a good 15-20 minute one hehe.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That is my two cents.

Indeed. Back when I played Starcraft 1, I tried to get map makers to play my maps, because they usually had some good advice to give, and taught me a lot of cool tricks. Whereas the typical player might get their <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> stomped playing, and blame it on me for not balancing the map correctly, even when they're playing the one unit everyone else is constantly calling rigged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ahkronnemesisahkronnemesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That is my two cents.

Well, all I can say is that, you must be doing something right. hehe

I don't get good or bad reviews. Hell... I don't seem to even get plays.

I think I'll drop the long exploration/story/puzzle quests theme after finishing my current campaign and do some hack n'slash ones just do 15 min hack n'slash ones and see if I can get some of those one star reviews. :rolleyes:
    [Campaign] Into the Heart of Time (NWS-DLSK763NH) by @ahkronnemesis
    Chapter I - The Cult of Kairos (NW-DJFINX9KB)
    Chapter II - The Halls of Mortality (NW-DOE3ZC671)
    Chapter III - Paradox ( Soon )
  • Options
    ahkronnemesisahkronnemesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah, I finally think I got some One Stars.
    Unfortunately, not a single comment on that quest that got lower voting.
    Funny. :D
    [Campaign] Into the Heart of Time (NWS-DLSK763NH) by @ahkronnemesis
    Chapter I - The Cult of Kairos (NW-DJFINX9KB)
    Chapter II - The Halls of Mortality (NW-DOE3ZC671)
    Chapter III - Paradox ( Soon )
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a universal in art. Only other similar artists functionally understand what you are doing.

(Pianists, surrealist painters, detective fiction, modern dance, whatever)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    It's a universal in art. Only other similar artists functionally understand what you are doing.

if this were Twitter, I would retweet this.
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »

I am completely ok with them just appreciating it, telling me how it could have been better for them and moving on.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, Zovya.

I was struck with the observation listening to a performance of Hungarian Rhapsody, by Liszt.
    This is a hard piece -- I'm a barely passable pianist and got through a half page, flipped the sheet and... ... dear lord.

smn_77346.png

It gets worse. Much worse.

Yeah. I was listening to the mad genius Vladimir Horowitz. He was playing that piece... and embellishing. Laying additional flourishes and melodies. It sounded like three people playing.

A non-pianist would probably have zero idea what he was pulling off, how much of a seemingly effortless triumph they were hearing.

And they'd have almost nothing useful to recommend to Horowitz.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    (borked post because the forum sucks right now..)
  • Options
    yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It works the other way as well though.

As someone who is now, in my opinion, becoming pretty adept at using the Foundry system I can walk through most Foundry missions and see where the effort has been put in, and where it's really lacking (quite often the later). Even the missions that are being spotlighted and being touted as being these great works I walk through them and think "Yeh... I mean it was okay..", but I'm sure the author who spent hours and hours making it thinks it's their piece de resistance (forum doesn't like me using french grammar...). Unfortunately a lot of authors seems to think that because they put 100+ hours into their Foundry mission that they shouldn't be getting bad reviews, the reality is that time spent doesn't necessarily automatically qualify it as being a good quest, it might still be boring, easy, predictable...

So whilst the people who don't know how to use the Foundry can't identify the aspects that have taken hours to do, or the interesting creative twists that have been put into place (like Zovya's mushroom/difficulty slider) and will overlook them, they're also probably much more easily impressed by some stuff than I would be when I walk through an area and go "Prefab, lazy encounters, simple decorations".

Among your peers there is a level of respect and you can see that time has obviously been spent, but we're probably also the most critical and hardest to please when it comes to comparing what someone else has done with what we know we personally can do. At least that's how I am anyway :)
  • Options
    brute2112brute2112 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thing I am worried about most is when my level is done and I publish it that nobody will find it to play it. This is what happened in Little Big Planet series. The second you published your master piece twenty pieces of garbage would be posted on top of it and nobody would find it. However this community seems to be a lot stronger and the five reviews before it goes public gives me some motivation to go on.
  • Options
    tarum89tarum89 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    I would pay for some one star, bad review or just people that tell me that my quest doesn't work/is horrible :/
    I'd pay to know that at least one player that's not me has tried it...
    I really don't like how the "NEW" on L works...

... :(
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I disagree. I have not created in foundry yet, but I keep my comments constructive and my ratings appropriate. I simply do not care for the influx of 'world of warcraft' remakes. If they want to play wow, go do it, stop trying to bring it here.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    eb2013eb2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daschla wrote: »
    I disagree. I have not created in foundry yet, but I keep my comments constructive and my ratings appropriate. I simply do not care for the influx of 'world of warcraft' remakes. If they want to play wow, go do it, stop trying to bring it here.

What do you consider a world of warcraft remake?

Try my quest Tucker's Kobolds, now with an all new map and encounters!
    Version 2.0.2 (5/11/2013)
    NW-DGW8GFH6
    @EB2013

Part II Coming Soon!
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eb2013 wrote: »
    What do you consider a world of warcraft remake?

May be referring to "The Stockade". I understand that quest was made to be a duplicate of the WoW quest of the same name.
  • Options
    neurojamneurojam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've had some really good suggestions from other foundry users.
    If this action-hall-pocalypse would be over I could start acting on them.
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    May be referring to "The Stockade". I understand that quest was made to be a duplicate of the WoW quest of the same name.

Yep, on the Best tab for the last week there has been "The Stockade" and "Dread Mines" both are slightly altered versions of low level WoW dungeons.

At this point, having spent all day now waiting for the game to be playable again it hit me that for 2 weeks I have only played my character to invoke, review other people's foundry missions to help them be better, or to combat test my own mission.. Honestly I think I can say I dislike most everything about this game OTHER than the UGC and the community. I came in expecting D&D and frankly they failed to deliver, after a few weeks with the game they are failing to keep me invested in the game itself rather than the meta-game of the foundry.

I don't lament my time in the Foundry but at this point I certainly have no real drive to play any of the actual gameplay they provided.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daschla wrote: »

A single person is intelligent, crafty, and clever. A group of people on the internet has an IQ of a spoiled 12 year old and does not have the time or resources to read or understand anything. We need more single people like you, good sir, but sadly the game has a ton of people that have followed you into the game as well.

As for the WOW comment. I do not play WoW. However, someone also created a Spartacus like adventure. Does that need to go away? Every foundry quest that is successful has an audience. Good. That is the way it should be... regardless of where they got the audience from.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Member Posts: 2,617 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »

As for the WOW comment. I do not play WoW. However, someone also created a Spartacus like adventure. Does that need to go away? Every foundry quest that is successful has an audience. Good. That is the way it should be... regardless of where they got the audience from.

Actually, that one got banned for copyright, and they had to remake it and remove all references. So, yeah, it should have.

I come from halfway in between the op and the guy that was quoted in this post. I intend to get into the foundry when work chills out, and I have done enough research to know what I'm looking for in terms of gameplay, but for the most part? I comment on pacing, plot, and difficulty. Clever touches like the mushroom difficulty thing when I catch em.

To the op: You don't need to dev something to recognize clever. You just need to not see it anywhere else and appreciate its inclusion. :D
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, that one got banned for copyright, and they had to remake it and remove all references. So, yeah, it should have.

I come from halfway in between the op and the guy that was quoted in this post. I intend to get into the foundry when work chills out, and I have done enough research to know what I'm looking for in terms of gameplay, but for the most part? I comment on pacing, plot, and difficulty. Clever touches like the mushroom difficulty thing when I catch em.

To the op: You don't need to dev something to recognize clever. You just need to not see it anywhere else and appreciate its inclusion. :D

However, it still had an audience and when they re-named it... people are still playing it, no?
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am a newb here, so I can't begin a new thread, so I'll just ask here. I am working on a massive quest. Once I publish it, can I still edit it? I know that is a really newb question, but hey I am what I am. Also the twinkling path that guides players from objective to objective does not seem to work right in the editor. I might have broke it because I am sitting at 20+ objectives in the quest already.
    Third and last question. Is there a way to have multiple endings to my quest. I know on the tree I can split the options, but it looks like all roads still lead to Rome if you know what I mean. I thought it would be cool to have multiple endings for replayability. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ovaltine74 wrote: »
    I am a newb here, so I can't begin a new thread, so I'll just ask here. I am working on a massive quest. Once I publish it, can I still edit it? I know that is a really newb question, but hey I am what I am. Also the twinkling path that guides players from objective to objective does not seem to work right in the editor. I might have broke it because I am sitting at 20+ objectives in the quest already.
    Third and last question. Is there a way to have multiple endings to my quest. I know on the tree I can split the options, but it looks like all roads still lead to Rome if you know what I mean. I thought it would be cool to have multiple endings for replayability. Thanks.

Yes you can continue to update your quest - even after it is published.

The path is normally correct. Do you want to have players to see the quest objective... or is the path going thru objects?

If the wisp is going thru objects... the wisp path does not "see" textures - so often times the trail will travel thru buildings and objectives that it should not.

It really depends on what is wrong. Can you explain what is wrong in your quest about the wisp path? I would imagine you do NOT want the player to know which NPC to talk to for the quest objective?

In the story tab you can actually remove the ability to see the wisps for primary quest objectives. On each quest, there is an option to have the quest object look like a big circle area, a specific blip on the map, or not trackable. (I am not in game so I do not remember the exact names).
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    My conquest only has like 8-10 plays but I get 4-5 stars each time a new person plays it and comments along the line as "great job i hope the next one comes out soon" Because I have a bad habit of ending on cliff hangers.
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think I know what is wrong. I think I have the area selection checked for dialog and interact objectives. i think if I fool with it I can make the twinkly path come back. Just don't want my players wandering around wondering what to do.

Another question, is there a way to have the log display the quest text from the last objective reached? It currently only displays the general quest discription. If the player wanted to review what the last NPC said he can't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Other Foundry authors would rather abstain to vote than giving a 1-star.
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • Options
    savagehenrrysavagehenrry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have easily put four or five times as many hours into the foundry as I have the game. I have basically gained my last 20 levels through reviewing foundry quests.

I think my favorite complaint from a review would be either the guy that said "it's SOOOO long" when the average time for the quest is 19 minutes and in the description I say it should take 15-25 minutes to complete.

or

The guildie that said it wasn't to challenging for his 9500 gs GWF :o