test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First game that takes it's games integrity seriously, will get my money.

kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am actually excited and eager what Cryptic will do here. Far too many games have I invested heavily in with lots of money to only be ruined by cheaters, hackers, exploiters and rude people (that last one is hard to curb). It's the main reason I have not spent a penny for this game yet, as much as my impulse is begging me to buy the founders, I am maintaining my composure in spending a dime. I mean why would you spend money on a founders pack when some Joe can come in with a Visa and visit a gold farmer and have all the nice things you don't have? Exploitation seriously undermines that value.

With that said, I have been seriously enjoying my time in NWO.
Post edited by kabothoriginal on

Comments

• ryude2ryude2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you serious? This game is one of the worst so far in how many bugs/exploits have been reported yet never fixed.
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And this basis is from the game that hasn't even gone live yet, correct? or no?
  • kblazekblaze Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sadly the "open beta" can be called a "soft launch" they had no plans of wiping characters servers weren't going to go down to create a headstart period between open beta and live, so they could easily just have the game be in "open beta" status indefinitly, or just one day remove the open beta and make no change to the game.

that really sound like a beta to you?

Edit: forgot to mention if you go to the PW site and look at the various game listing they have Neverwinter listed as "live" not "open beta" status.
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, I understand what you are saying but let me ask you this.

Have you never seen a LIVE MMO have to resort to rollbacks? I am even sure they have something in the Terms and Conditions they could do a server wipe even if the game went live. That would make people really angry, but by them calling this a beta, I am sure that would give them a logical out to do a wipe. I am sure some compensation would come out of it, other than refunding things that people have legitimately purchased in game.

I only been playing a week, so if they do a roll back farther than that I am really hosed, put in over 50 hours in on my cleric. I know others have done more, but for me, that's a HUGE amount of time invested.

But like I said, I didn't buy the Founders edition because I been suckered too many times and being a single dad, my discretionary funds are limited. From the looks of things, I might have made a mistake, but time will tell.
    edited May 2013
    Actually I have seen a LIVE MMO do a rollback. With as much HATE as people have for the game, It can't be denied at being the most sucessful.

EQ threatened it, don't recall them actually doing it, course I may have been deployed at the time.

WoW, in it's first year did in fact do a rollback. However it was only a 1-2 hour rollback because unlike cryptic when the problem was found it was addressed QUICKLY and the servers were brought down rapidly. they handed out suspensions and bans for it as well. took them roughly 20mins? to respond once the word got out. the game itself was down for about 5-6 hours while they addressed the issue as well.

One can argue that Blizzard is much bigger then Cryptic but as I said this was in the game's early life but you can be pretty sure they wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I know I know so much hate for them, but again they have to be doing SOMETHING right if they are as successful as they are now right?
  • drexl420drexl420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey kaboth you obviously don't care about where your money goes, so why not give it all to me? Dont worry, I'll take good care of it :D
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    Hey kaboth you obviously don't care about where your money goes, so why not give it all to me? Dont worry, I'll take good care of it :D

HAHAHA you have me confused with my fraternal twin, Made O'Money, he is currently doing some insurance commercials. I am the Broke Made O'cheaptissue twin. LOL ;-)
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't think you understand the definition of integrity. :P

People paid to have an advantage over others, that automatically disqualifies this game out of the gate.
    edited May 2013
    kblaze wrote: »
    Actually I have seen a LIVE MMO do a rollback. With as much HATE as people have for the game, It can't be denied at being the most sucessful.

EQ threatened it, don't recall them actually doing it, course I may have been deployed at the time.

WoW, in it's first year did in fact do a rollback. However it was only a 1-2 hour rollback because unlike cryptic when the problem was found it was addressed QUICKLY and the servers were brought down rapidly. they handed out suspensions and bans for it as well. took them roughly 20mins? to respond once the word got out. the game itself was down for about 5-6 hours while they addressed the issue as well.

One can argue that Blizzard is much bigger then Cryptic but as I said this was in the game's early life but you can be pretty sure they wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I know I know so much hate for them, but again they have to be doing SOMETHING right if they are as successful as they are now right?

Well that was kind of point, every MMO I have seen (and that's been a lot) has done a roll back.

Yes EQ has done roll backs, several in fact. I was there on Day 1 with my Drow Cleric named Drax. They did MANY roll backs, specially in the early days LOL, let me tell ya. Even UO (Ultima Online) has done some roll backs in their heyday. I am not sure if Diablo ever did, I know it was highly exploitable back then and they never fixed them so probably not.

LOL that should tell you how long I been playing MMO's, but some roll backs could not be helped, but there have been several roll backs because of exploits. I have yet to see a game do a full wipe after it has gone live though.
    edited May 2013
    I don't think you understand the definition of integrity. :P

People paid to have an advantage over others, that automatically disqualifies this game out of the gate.

TBH, the special packages they do for games doesn't garner you that much more advantage, especially after the game has been out a few months. EQ even took exploiters 10 days to get to level 50, the rest of us normal power gamers took double the time. Now when you play an MMO, you sneeze and you are level 5.
    edited May 2013
    Oh i understand but this is the perfect chance, perfect world has to fix a very big problem. since they are calling it a beta, even though anyone with experience in such things knows better, they can in fact do the wipe and get away clean.

They dug thier own grave in the matter though when they said no more wipes.

So now they have put themselves into a damned if they do damned if they don't situation, something no game developer should put themselves in. I said I couldn't remember EQ doing it as I was only able to play it in VERY limited quantities, UO I played but never really got into it as I was a bit on the younger side, but I'm an oddity my age belies my experience.

My point is since they are hiding behind the "open beta" they should USE that little "get out of jail free card" and fix a very real problem. The problem with doing a simple rollback is this exploit has existed and been used, not as openly mind you, since CLOSED beta testing. meaning that in order to actually address and fix the issue completely and catch every single use of it you have to rollback to day 1. which means.....wipe

I understand where you are coming from and agree to a point, but I'd rather have a game that isn't being borked and is fun, then a game that is borked and fun.

unless of course the point of the game is to bork it....
    edited May 2013
    Oh i understand but this is the perfect chance, perfect world has to fix a very big problem. since they are calling it a beta, even though anyone with experience in such things knows better, they can in fact do the wipe and get away clean.

They dug thier own grave in the matter though when they said no more wipes.

So now they have put themselves into a damned if they do damned if they don't situation, something no game developer should put themselves in. I said I couldn't remember EQ doing it as I was only able to play it in VERY limited quantities, UO I played but never really got into it as I was a bit on the younger side, but I'm an oddity my age belies my experience.

My point is since they are hiding behind the "open beta" they should USE that little "get out of jail free card" and fix a very real problem. The problem with doing a simple rollback is this exploit has existed and been used, not as openly mind you, since CLOSED beta testing. meaning that in order to actually address and fix the issue completely and catch every single use of it you have to rollback to day 1. which means.....wipe

I understand where you are coming from and agree to a point, but I'd rather have a game that isn't being borked and is fun, then a game that is borked and fun.

unless of course the point of the game is to bork it....

What I would do if I was them, and I am not, I would say do a full wipe, apologize profusely for this gaping exploit that people used to ruin the game for self satisfaction, extend the head start how ever long, and give those that purchased the game or in game items a free month live game time, and redistribute what people bought in game correctly.

Then I would make an exploit server to send the banned people to, where AD's and magic items drop like rain, mobs are super easy to kill and gain mass XP, and all server updates are 3 months behind, and there is ZERO in game support.
  • toomuchstufftoomuchstuff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Blizzard as a company always was pretty good about taking servers down. Putting them back up was a drag however. Over the years I played with them the Tickets were answered quicker and quicker when players in game had issues. I'm sure it was a major factor of having more staff on hand after becoming more popular. And people dislike it for many reasons but Vanilla WoW, was a joy, but the game for me was ruined by the people not the company.

But yes, this company (PWE) has had a lot of short comings with taking action quickly when they learn of game breaking errors. Excuse me, but its like calling in a bomb threat to them and they dont evacuate the building of 15,000 people. They would wait and check it out first then say ok guys, well, your F'd. Brace yourselves.

But you know, this may have something to do with their policies as a company. Perhaps they have to get everything cleared and confirmed before they can go use the bathroom. None of us would know unless we worked there. So it's all up to speculation...
  • toomuchstufftoomuchstuff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I would do if I was them, and I am not, I would say do a full wipe, apologize profusely for this gaping exploit that people used to ruin the game for self satisfaction, extend the head start how ever long, and give those that purchased the game or in game items a free month live game time, and redistribute what people bought in game correctly.

Then I would make an exploit server to send the banned people to, where AD's and magic items drop like rain, mobs are super easy to kill and gain mass XP, and all server updates are 3 months behind, and there is ZERO in game support.

This would be hilarious but the server would exist for maybe a month before they got bored and moved on to their next game and they could take it down. That sounds EXACTLY like what a private server is lmao and they are always boring.
    edited May 2013
    That's pretty much what quite a few of us, impossible to tell if it's the majority or not, are asking for. Maybe not exactly word for word but the general idea. They however are seeming to refuse this in every way possible like they are trying to save face about something that can't be saved rather then owning up to the mistakes. the whole damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

to tell them to "man up" would seem to be the best thing to tell them but I'm not sure many nowadays understand the point of those two little words.
  • l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They are taking peoples money, this is no beta. the game characters are live and won't be wiped. They will never correct all the exploiters accounts or even catch them all.
    edited May 2013
    This would be hilarious but the server would exist for maybe a month before they got bored and moved on to their next game and they could take it down. That sounds EXACTLY like what a private server is lmao and they are always boring.

Which is exactly how I got the idea (played on many private UO servers) LOL, and it is kind of the point LOL. That way Cryptic can say well they left on their own terms or keep taking their money. ;-)
  • majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    I am actually excited and eager what Cryptic will do here. Far too many games have I invested heavily in with lots of money to only be ruined by cheaters, hackers, exploiters and rude people (that last one is hard to curb). It's the main reason I have not spent a penny for this game yet, as much as my impulse is begging me to buy the founders, I am maintaining my composure in spending a dime. I mean why would you spend money on a founders pack when some Joe can come in with a Visa and visit a gold farmer and have all the nice things you don't have? Exploitation seriously undermines that value.

With that said, I have been seriously enjoying my time in NWO.

I can't wait to see the list of ****ty games you played.
    edited May 2013
    That's pretty much what quite a few of us, impossible to tell if it's the majority or not, are asking for. Maybe not exactly word for word but the general idea. They however are seeming to refuse this in every way possible like they are trying to save face about something that can't be saved rather then owning up to the mistakes. the whole damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

to tell them to "man up" would seem to be the best thing to tell them but I'm not sure many nowadays understand the point of those two little words.

Well, IF, they did man up and do a wipe and admit the mistake, I would drop 200 tomorrow. LOL Granted the founders package isn't a necessity, I do like having bragging rights. Like I said, I don't do that anymore, too many, lets just group them together and call them sucky people ruin the game, and then I end up leaving the game.

BTW, couldn't they just make some droppable items only be sold to a vendor or sold on the AH? That would kill twinking and 3rd party gold farming wouldn't it?
  • nekoakureinekoakurei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not beta.

DeNzZkN.png

But lets say it is. Even so there are issues that shouldn't have gotten out of alpha stage. Are you aware there is basic functionality missing? Even before the AH exploit the search didn't work correctly AND this exploit has happened before on PW's other MMO STO, and they either didn't think or care to check if the same exact glitch could happen here.

But even putting aside all that, there are still more issues with this game than pixels. Things that should have been addressed in alpha. There are class feats that don't work, The group finder randomly assigns members, being kicked from a party in pvp requires a relog, sometimes you don't teleport into an instance, tooltips don't update, the list goes on.

A open beta test is supposed to be a last test of game mechanics, small glitches, class balance, and server load. Not the hot mess that this is. I could even see a closed beta being this way but open beta? When they already declared no more wipes? When you declare no more wipes, that should mean the game is stable enough to hold itself with no major problems. Not only has this game had major problems, but 4 major problems.

This game has gone this badly in not even a month.
  • hazjaadhazjaad Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013

EverQuest did indeed do one actual rollback, as I recall.
    It was extremely early on - before the first expansion or right at its launch, can't recall - and it was done as a last-ditch fix to a bug that was actually causing characters & accounts to bug-out when they interacted with a few specific NPC's.

Thing is, the rollback was only a couple hours worth of time - the reports started rolling-in almost as soon as the servers came up after that morning's patch, and as soon as they had enough reports to confirm that it wasn't just a fluke or an isolated incident on one server they shut things down & reverted everything to the way they'd stood that morning when servers opened.

IIRC, the worst losses were about 3-4 hours worth of play, the amount of time elapsed between Server Up post-patch and Server Down hotfix.
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty sure this will play out as follows:

1. There will not be a wipe
    2. They will make some vague claim about undoing the exploits by someone dealing with the offenders.
    3. They will catch some of them but not all
    4. Servers will be compromised by cheaters and nothing will change. We will all be lied to about it and most will not even question it.
    edited May 2013
    majtrollx wrote: »
    I can't wait to see the list of ****ty games you played.

Is there any MMO you didn't consider bad? Or are you just trolling?
  • mindgame18mindgame18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ryude2 wrote: »
    Are you serious? This game is one of the worst so far in how many bugs/exploits have been reported yet never fixed.

lol really? You haven't played many games lately! TERA, SWTOR, and GW2 were both worse than this (aside from the current AH situation) as far as bugs/exploits go. Path of Exile was on another level entirely, almost embarrassing.

Those are only the games i've played as of late too, I could go back more years if you would like. This game is a fresh change of pace. They seem to be trying quite hard to please everyone and get issues fixed in a prompt manner.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wanna know what will happen to the bugs on this game?

NOTHING

On Champions side, bugs that were reported 3 years ago still are not fixed... meaningful updates have stopped and the only new thing are lockboxes and lame events with 2 missions... that last 2 weeks.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=221861

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=222921
    edited May 2013
    hazjaad wrote: »
    EverQuest did indeed do one actual rollback, as I recall.
    It was extremely early on - before the first expansion or right at its launch, can't recall - and it was done as a last-ditch fix to a bug that was actually causing characters & accounts to bug-out when they interacted with a few specific NPC's.

Thing is, the rollback was only a couple hours worth of time - the reports started rolling-in almost as soon as the servers came up after that morning's patch, and as soon as they had enough reports to confirm that it wasn't just a fluke or an isolated incident on one server they shut things down & reverted everything to the way they'd stood that morning when servers opened.

IIRC, the worst losses were about 3-4 hours worth of play, the amount of time elapsed between Server Up post-patch and Server Down hotfix.

I remember more than one roll back, usually after a patch, and depending how much you played that day you may or may not have lost time, some lost time from playing because the servers were down. Now actual roll backs I recall one was roll back by like 10 days, but that was due to data corruption and they had a serious crash, the servers were down a couple of days. Then there was a roll back that was for a few days after a patch. I seem to recall a third, but it was similar to the second one... its been a long time.
    edited May 2013
    yes and no. There are people out there whose whole life exists to try and find a way to "beat the system" some do it for good, some not so good. There is no such thing as a "secure system" and anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or an idiot. so twinking and 3rd party gold farming will always find a way.
    Does it mean it's easy? no not at all, but a way will be found. It's why people like me have jobs, I don't work for PWE or Cryptic but if I did and had let something like this AD dupe slip past me I'd be looking for a new job...FAST.

That's the problem with MMO's though people think the devs do things for the players/community and while they do somethings for them there is alot not told to try and combat the very type of people that caused the issue we have now. ok maybe not this EXACT issue but you understand what I'm saying. The fact this was not addressed when it was reported in closed beta and made it into a live version of the game is a sign of how games are now released by a date rather then when they are ready. Not that older games didn't have bugs...oh man good times with some of those bugs...but times were different then. Reputation was everything for a company ESPECIALLY a game company. Now it seems and I'm not saying this is the case mind you, they don't care about thier reputation.
  • nekoakureinekoakurei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mindgame18 wrote: »
    lol really? You haven't played many games lately! TERA, SWTOR, and GW2 were both worse than this (aside from the current AH situation) as far as bugs/exploits go. Path of Exile was on another level entirely, almost embarrassing.

Those are only the games i've played as of late too, I could go back more years if you would like. This game is a fresh change of pace. They seem to be trying quite hard to please everyone and get issues fixed in a prompt manner.

You obviously don't know PW very well do you.
  • theyear2000theyear2000 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There was a rollback in Late 1999 in EverQuest.

Low level monsters in South Ro were dropping the top game drops (at the time), Lower Guk, Solb B, Vox, and v1.0 Plane of Hate loot. It went on for 12 hours or more.

They rolled back to the beginning of the patch.