test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In need of a story!

camm231camm231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Hello guys and girls!

I have been really eager to make a Foundry quest since I found out about this game and will be willing to put ALOT of hours into it to make it one of the best in the game. I want it to be challenging but fun at the same time which I think I can acomplish.

My biggest problem is trying to think / word a story. I will probably start it as a single playthrough but wanting to leave it on a big of a hanger so I can progress it further when I feel the time is right for it.

If anyone is having the problem of not enjoying making the dungeons or simply doesnt have the time but has a great story in there mind that they would like to share please get in touch with me.

Thanks alot Camm231
Post edited by camm231 on

Comments

• Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You could always recreate any of the thousands of published modules for D&D that are set in the Forgotten Realms.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    samuraikingssamuraikings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the best way to go about it is to pick a map. I usually either pick a premade outdoor map, or just make a cool custom design of an inside dungeon. I run through it with no mobs or aesthetics added and try to imagine where I'd put mobs and bosses. At that point I try to theme it and decide what race of mobs should specifically inhabit it and from there a story is usually easier to think of and put together.

As far as thinking of a story for you off the top of my head, sorry. The best basic storylines that most people probably start with are bandit hideouts/attacks, undead inhabited dungeons and various other mob themed quests. Your best bet is to just do something simple instead of starting with a master piece. Your first quest will always have errors and such.
    Foundry Name: "Wolframs Last Stand" (@Holythirst)
    Foundry Map: Blacklake District
    Type: Campaign, Story, Dungeon - 5 bosses, 1-2 players
    Current State: Version 2.2 is up. Full release. Try it with code below.

Short Code: NW-DU2BES2WA
  • Options
    fallensbanefallensbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Also keep in mind. There are TONS and I mean TONS of resources online to give you basic story ideas and you can go from there. For instance...

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/100_Adventure_Ideas_%28DnD_Other%29

Sometimes all you need is the base of an idea and it sends your mind into overdrive :)
  • Options
    eb2013eb2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't just make a map and fill it with encounters. Write what every room in the dungeon is going to be about before you flesh it out. Figure out what purpose each room has in the scheme of the dungeon. Is it a living quarters, maybe a place where the dungeon inhabitants ate, maybe they trained with weapons there, etc. Make encounters and decoration based off of these ideas. Is there a group of sleeping orcs in the living chambers, maybe an ogre chef cooking something vile in the mess hall? This will bring to life the encounters even when they're not key to the story.

The story itself is something you gotta figure out. My first quest started out as a basic kobold sewer dungeon and developed into a little more by the end. If you're stuck, decide what type of map you want to do and flesh it out, the ideas for what to do with the story may come after you've spent some time in the world you created.

Try my quest Tucker's Kobolds, now with an all new map and encounters!
    Version 2.0.2 (5/11/2013)
    NW-DGW8GFH6
    @EB2013

Part II Coming Soon!
  • Options
    camm231camm231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the tip guys. I think tomorrow I will make the dungeon but like you say with nothing inside it, maybe even nothing in the rooms and then just build upon the rooms like eb2013 said and make living quaters etc.

Thanks again , Camm231
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can also just go full speed into it and start making a complete custom outdoor map of a village, then start adding NPC's, and little bits of story to each, and I am sure a story will start to develop.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png