test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PVP guide - Keeping it fun with the basics

brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
PVP in a nutshell.

I know there are many people who see the term *PVP (player vs player) cringe and avoid anything tagged with it like the plague. If you're not prepared, it can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

At the very core of PVP you have a simple game of action vs reaction. And I'm not talking about the reaction you get with your first shot of cheap tequila. I'm talking about one player's actions, prompting a reaction from another player or group of players.

Simple right? Not so fast. Lets compare your actions vs. normal mobs, or creatures within a game.

Fighting mobs can be fast and furious, and surely fun; as limbs fly and heads roll. Your actions against them however invokes a fairly routine and predictable response. Fun for awhile, but soon the novelty wears off, and it's off to the next mob. This is where *AI or artificial intelligence is a world apart from fighting an enemy with the ability to adapt and counter your actions with their own reactions. Pitting yourself and skills against other *PC's or "player characters" is the ultimate test of your skills and abilities as a player. That being said, it can also be a source of dread and despair if you're not of the right mindset for PVP.

How does one avoid the bad taste and bitterness PVP can leave upon a player?

Some simple things to remember.
1. You will never win a 1 vs team battle.
2. The better you get, the less effective you want to think you become.
3. Remember that your opponents are trying to kill you, as you are them.
4. Accept that death in PVP is routine.
5. There is always someone better.
6. Skill trumps gear.

Elaboration on 1-6

1. Team PVP is a whole 'nother animal from 1 vs 1 pvp. At no point should you ever get it into your mind that you > all. While there's no doubt you will find times that the stars align and in some dark area of the map you find yourself alone with maybe some poor sucker or suckers that have no idea how to react to your actions, and mow through them with the greatest of ease, it's not the norm. More often than not, it will be a pinata bashing fest with you vs the world, and everyone has a bat. It's these moments that make you take pause, laugh and make not the mistake of repeatedly getting caught alone or exposing yourself to gang beatings. Stick with your team. (unless of course your distraction as a sacrificial lamb was planned).

2. Understand that the better you get the bigger target you become. You will at times have rounds that you play where you feel you can't even pull your weapon out before your face has been melted and your corpse burned and stomped on by the other team. If this is happening time and time again, congratulate yourself and celebrate with a shot of your favorite beverage. Go tell the wife, neighbor or significant other what you've done, you've beat the game and are now on "god" status. You've become so effective at playing your character that the other team feels it necessary to instantly focus all their attention towards you upon detection. Revel in this glory, bask in it's greatness and understand while their team is focusing you, your team is free to move about the cabin unhindered and unopposed. You have become the Implied Sacrificial Lamb*.

3. Don't forget the nature of the beast. Stabbity stab stab, kill, kill kill. Expect no mercy, and have no misunderstandings about it; your enemy's mission is the same as yours; to kill, dominate the map and take home a win. You need to be just as passionate as they are; and realize they are on a mission to face plant you like a carrot seed in fresh tilled soil. Stepping foot into the arena/map once that timer clicks down, understand it's not for brunch with the other team, it's for the win. Expecting casual "honorable" fights will only frustrate you. Expect to be ganked, stunned, dominated and controlled to the point of laughable frustration. When this occurs, adapt and keep #2 in the back of your mind.

4. The holy grail, said time and time again; remember that "it's just a game". This isn't to mean "it doesn't matter" or "you don't care about winning". It means remind yourself that you're doing it for fun; the entertainment. Remind yourself that winning or dying is still better than doing those dishes, or mowing your yard any day of the week. Celebrate the times when you melt face and destroy someone's attempts at destroying you. Laugh at the times they return the favor in kind.

5. This isn't to be looked upon as actual fact. I've always had problems with the statement as I believe someone has to be the best; why can't it be me?! But let's take what we can from the statement anyway. Be humble. Appreciate the times when you get rolled like cookie dough. Learn from your mistakes, absorb the lessons learned and add them to your list of "not to do's" for next time. Each time you are able to do this, gives you one step up above the other guys losing their cool and mashing their keyboards with every frustrated ounce of might in their body. Don't be that person! When in doubt, laugh it out.

6. Before spending countless hours and possibly great amounts of coin grinding out that must have "leetsauce" gear, only to find you're still getting beat down like flank steak and a tenderizing mallet, make sure your skills are up to par. If you spent more time chasing gear than you have honing your basic skills; chances are you're setting yourself up for frustration and a lot of time wasted in the wrong areas. Skills first, gear later.

*Terms used in this write-up:

AI - Artificial Intelligence
: Artificial intelligence is used to produce the illusion of intelligence in the behavior of non-player characters (NPCs).

CP - Capture Point: Synonymous with Control Point. A point, usually some object or pillar, or zone area where players may capture or control by either interacting with the object, or standing within a fixed radius around the area or object. Teams normally fight for control over said objects or areas, and are given some form of compensation which aids in either points earned or time needed to win the match.

ISL - Implied Sacrificial Lamb: Someone who is being focused heavily by the opposing team, allowing your team more freedom to proceed relatively unhindered. (mostly useful in CP "capture point" based matches)

PC - Player Character: Human controlled character.

PVP - Player vs Player: A type of game wherein human opponents primarily compete against one another. Can be used to describe team, single, or faction based matches.

SL - Sacrificial Lamb: Someone who draws the attention of the opposing team to benefit the actions of his/her own team. Most specifically a player running to a far CP to draw or split up the enemy.
Post edited by brakkish1 on

Comments

• Options
    applepotatoepieapplepotatoepie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty good points but gear heavily outweighs skill in this game. I'm pretty bad at PVP but I "lol oneshot" people all the time.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great post, but
    brakkish1 wrote: »
    6. Skill trumps gear.

is debatable to say the least. After a certain level of skill, gear becomes extremely important.

Sure, against a totally new player a seasoned veteran PvP player can overcome a gear disadvantage. But a veteran player in the godliest PvP gear versus even the best PvP player in non-decent gear is going to be a face-roll.

Sadly this is the way MMO grinding (especially for PvP) is designed.
  • Options
    slogdratslogdrat Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After a domination win, your only choice is to "leave" the event. Then I'm still attached to the party, but you can't join another PvP! I'm in an odd mode until I right click on myself in the upper left and leave party. Only then can I join another PvP. What's up, why is my party not able to play another round together? I've even been (somehow) lead of party and still can't get on another PvP queue.
  • Options
    idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Great post, but

is debatable to say the least. After a certain level of skill, gear becomes extremely important.

Sure, against a totally new player a seasoned veteran PvP player can overcome a gear disadvantage. But a veteran player in the godliest PvP gear versus even the best PvP player in non-decent gear is going to be a face-roll.

Sadly this is the way MMO grinding (especially for PvP) is designed.

After seeing what those epic runestone enchants can do, no amount of skill can trump that.

They 'could' do the GW2 thing and just equalize PvP entirely...But i feel builds arnt nearly as flexible as in GW2 so it wouldnt work so well.
  • Options
    uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Pretty good points but gear heavily outweighs skill in this game. I'm pretty bad at PVP but I "lol oneshot" people all the time.

I believe he meant that it is more important for a person to develop skill than to get gear. Skill is something you keep even if you move to a different game.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • Options
    brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shamelessly bumping my own thread.

Like a good foundry quest; buried by all the trash. :) (*shakes fist at the complaint and whine threads*)
  • Options
    revelantgamesrevelantgames Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    brakkish1 wrote: »
    PVP in a nutshell.

Some simple things to remember.
    1. You will never win a 1 vs team battle.
    2. The better you get, the less effective you want to think you become.
    3. Remember that your opponents are trying to kill you, as you are them.
    4. Accept that death in PVP is routine.
    5. There is always someone better.
    6. Skill trumps gear.

Elaboration on 1-6

I took out a team of 3 enemy players in a single PvP match with my Trickster Rogue. It is possible to utilize the element of surprise to your advantage when taking on a group.
  • Options
    unknown1456unknown1456 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear really only means somethin at cap pvp, I pvp'd 20 levels straight 40-60 and never felt really that gimped till I hit cap and was getting destroyed then I just made some keep purchases on the AH got my pvp set and now I can mess up virtually anyone, even clerics in their astral shield.
  • Options
    jinle0522jinle0522 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    slogdrat wrote: »
    After a domination win, your only choice is to "leave" the event. Then I'm still attached to the party, but you can't join another PvP! I'm in an odd mode until I right click on myself in the upper left and leave party. Only then can I join another PvP. What's up, why is my party not able to play another round together? I've even been (somehow) lead of party and still can't get on another PvP queue.

If you are the leader, you can always "team join".