test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I thought guardian was supposed to do some decent damage...

momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
So, I've got a level 50-someodd guardian fighter. And there's a problem I've been seeing for a while, but it's just been getting worse and worse, and that is: boredom. Nothing can really kill me, but at the same time, it takes forever to kill stuff. This is fine for bosses. The boss fights have been overall very enjoyable and tactical. Moving around a lot, evading, blocking, disrupting and stunning, good stuff. But for everything else...

Well, for example I'm in the Rothe valley now. It takes 3 basic hits to kill a small spider, like a blood swarmer or spitter. But it takes about 40 basic hits to kill a phase spider. That's not a boss, that's a common enemy that respawns every two minutes. It's gotten to the point that I actively avoid enemies except quest-related ones because fighting them is just a soul-destroying waste of time with no reward.

(Also fun, my cleric dies all but instantly because she can't level up any more. Great design Cryptic.)

Now, I maxed out the top paragon tree, the one that is all about damage. With a full guard meter my power rating is somewhere around 2800 but power seems to have very little effect on actual damage output. And I've been spamming Villian's Menace like crazy because it says it give me more damage, but frankly given the small bonus and terrible up-time it doesn't really seem to help much either.

I'm kind of losing interest in this character, not because I can't win, but because it just takes so **** long. I don't understand why there is such a massive gap between basic enemies and mid-level enemies. I don't mind a hard fight once in a while, but when you attach easy boring fights to respawning enemy types... *sigh*
Post edited by momaw on

Comments

• vvintrevvintre Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try GWF, 40 hits to every mob
  • krypalkrypal Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had the same problem even folloed a couple of the recommended builds exactly still found it so long to kill anything..and god help if they regen
  • hylan1983hylan1983 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    krypal wrote: »
    I had the same problem even folloed a couple of the recommended builds exactly still found it so long to kill anything..and god help if they regen
    well you can slot knights challenge or whatever and make it 20 =p i am only level 27 but i haven't had issues yet, i cleave the weaklings then hit knights challenge, lunging strike and 2-3 griffon's and the elite ish mob goes down. maybe you should buy a green power or crit set for soloing it will probably help speed things along at a fairly cheap price.
  • tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Knights challenge, criticals, encounters. Nom nom
  • mahlataamahlataa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well , at the moment I'm at the same point as you are (~50). And i have the exact same problem when I'm questing alone :( The thing that keeps me going is that for the past 30 or some levels , I'm questing with a friend of mine . He is a cleric and together we go trough the content like crazy. Issues like these are supposed to be fixed with the companion "mechanic", but i haven't got any success with mine what so ever. The dog does some sorts of dmg , but its FAAAAAAAR from making up for the horribad single target dmg. I tried the GWF type companion , which is even more useless ;( ... To be honest , there are some boss fights with spawns that I don't see any way of doing by my own. The only thing that I'm having fun atm is the PVP , which is very fun with the GF. Again you are not doing that much dmg , but you fit very well in the "tanky disruptor" role.

PS: hylan1984 , can you please explain what "green power" is , and where can i buy sets ?? Only sets I've seen for sale is the PVP one for lvl 60. I'd be very greatfull if you help your fellow GFs :)
  • kyuubiilkyuubiil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    mahlataa wrote: »
    Well , at the moment I'm at the same point as you are (~50). And i have the exact same problem when I'm questing alone :( The thing that keeps me going is that for the past 30 or some levels , I'm questing with a friend of mine . He is a cleric and together we go trough the content like crazy. Issues like these are supposed to be fixed with the companion "mechanic", but i haven't got any success with mine what so ever. The dog does some sorts of dmg , but its FAAAAAAAR from making up for the horribad single target dmg. I tried the GWF type companion , which is even more useless ;( ... To be honest , there are some boss fights with spawns that I don't see any way of doing by my own. The only thing that I'm having fun atm is the PVP , which is very fun with the GF. Again you are not doing that much dmg , but you fit very well in the "tanky disruptor" role.

PS: hylan1984 , can you please explain what "green power" is , and where can i buy sets ?? Only sets I've seen for sale is the PVP one for lvl 60. I'd be very greatfull if you help your fellow GFs :)

You might be using the wrong encounters, Most classes, GF's included, have kind of eg at-wills, cleave is amazing, but on single targets not so much; Your single target damage should come from things like knee breaker, lunging strike, and bull rush.. which will do the damage of 5-10 at wills.

As for what he means by green power set, he means a set of equipment (not particularly a SET as in with a set bonus, just.. a complete suit of equipment) that's green in color and has + to power on it, power scales your damage, is not affected by diminshing returns, and if you go conqueror, all power gains frm equipment are ffectively doubled while you don't block.
  • oolophooloph Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have this issue as well and what ive done to fix it is instead of pulling 1 group og mobs at a time i pull 2-4 at time depending on the are/mobs. They die just as fast as killing 1 group except 2/4 times more enemies re dead at once. You can use the tb taunt button to pull groups from a good distance away or just run by a couple groups on your horse then jump off and kill them.

I see it as a play style problem not a class problem.
  • dr132dr132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sounds like a play style problem to me. i'm level 50 something and while i might not take down enemies as quickly as other classes i'm not much slower and often score good kill numbers as well as damage numbers in dungeons. fwiw, griffons wrath fully leveled does a lot for your single target damage as you get 3 swings with it and a relatively quick cooldown and it's a fast enough attack that you can usually do it between enemy strikes. lunging strike does great single target damage as well. it does take me a little longer to kill things but if you're having as much of a problem as it sounds like then you're doing something wrong or your gear sucks...or maybe my idea of not taking long to kill things is vastly different than yours lol.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dps gf can have 2x more damage then dps gwf atm ,it have a lot better sets ,his aoe at will dont share damage if more then one target and hit a lot stronger then gwfs at wills
  • joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    market at protectors enclave NPCs have good gear every few lvls and use your seal(from bosses and bounty hunters)
    items bought for seals dont change, i think its lvl16, 26 and 36 so when you hit those lvls buy some
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You won't see any real damage out of a Guardian till you have access to one of the end game sets (either Stalwart Bulwark for the +7500 Power which is huge or Timeless Hero for the good Power/Crit). Anyone who's telling you it's good prior to that point is simply lying or has never played another class.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • cerebral79cerebral79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • cerebral79cerebral79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    You won't see any real damage out of a Guardian till you have access to one of the end game sets (either Stalwart Bulwark for the +7500 Power which is huge or Timeless Hero for the good Power/Crit). Anyone who's telling you it's good prior to that point is simply lying or has never played another class.

Well im not lying and Ive played all the classes except cleric and GF (pre lvl 60) is a fairly fun class to play and is pretty "Good" in the arena if you know what you are doing.
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For 50-60 leveling via solo questing, slot Frontline Surge, Bull Charge and Lunging Strike, with Indomitable Strength as your daily. Start each fight with Lunging Strike on a weak mob (usually 1 hitting or close to it), knock the hard mob away with Bull Charge while you deal with the other easier mobs. Make sure to try and hit as many things as possible with Frontline Surge. Always use Lunging Strike to snipe a weak mob every time it's up. Guarding attacks with shield is the fastest way to build AP btw, so use that to you're advantage.

Using this strategy leveling suddenly became very fun(and quite fast) after I acquired these skills. Also look for power gear at this level, not crit - because the most crit you're going to end up with is like 17% with the low amount of stats on these gears, which is not very good.
  • renmurarenmura Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the final paragon skill you only have 2800 power? Then you're simply not geared well. From the moment I gained the final paragon skill my power has always been over 5000 (defense 2800+). That might be your problem as to why you're killing things so slowly.
  • kirkhodgeskirkhodges Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never thought rolling a tank would make me a damage dealer...I did think it would make a tank though. Thanks cryptic.