test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Player with a new GWF

breidrbreidr Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
So, as stated, I'm obviously new, and After running the tutorial and a couple of starter quests with each class I settled on fighters. I'm going to be leveling my GWF first. Right now I'm sitting at level 10 and I have spent no points in anything. Without the option of a respec (for in-game currency) I'm hesitant because I know I'll make broken choices. Usually I'd do this and respec later after I figure out what works and what doesn't, but I don't have that luxury here.

So far the GWF is exactly what I've expected and I'm enjoying being a Dwarf with a sword bigger than he is (although I'm sad I can't get a Great Axe). I'm not so sure how to allocate points and what not, I've seen some builds posted, but I don't want to just blindly follow a build without knowing what's up. This has to be one of the more complex character build systems I've seen (at least it looks this way). Last MMO I played was LOTRO, and it was much easier to say the least.

I guess I can start by asking if there are any "must haves" that are common among GWFs? That could get me a nice base going. I'm also curious how to invest my attribute points, as I have one of those lying around. I'm really not sure what else to say here as I have little knowledge of the inner working of the system.
Post edited by breidr on

Comments

• Options
    incarealincareal Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    just dont play GWF. the class is useless right now
  • Options
    eldusterelduster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    unless you absolutely LOVE the class so far.. it would be in your best interest to re-roll a rogue, cleric or wiz
  • Options
    karaadkaraad Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Don't let them try to sway you, i'm having tons of fun with my GWF but it's a challenge to be a viable class at higher levels. At lower levels control wiz/rogue seem to be crazy with the amount of damage they put out but now that i'm lvl 30, i'm doing around the same and sometimes more damage than the rogue i roll with. As you level, the encounters become harder and mobs have more HP so rogue damage will become balanced with time.

Now as for feats, it's best to pretty much go straight DPS as you'll be an extra toe no one wants on their foot in terms of grouping.

Focus on power/crit/defense mostly in the lower levels, it'll get you through anything, later on, look more into life steal and other 'under rated' stats.

As for feats, focus on damage and crits, anything that can add additional power like 'bonus to power from defense' will help you greatly.

Remember that you are not a 'main tank' but an 'off tank' and while you can take on a large group of mobs, you will always fall short in terms of defense to a Guardian.

You're strong point is group encounters with a lot of monsters to take out, the more you hit, the more powerful you become and the more damage you'll be dishing out.
  • Options
    leo2fishleo2fish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What worked for me is focusing on crit/aoe from wicked strike/weapon master strike and when crit reaches 35-37% ish i start stacking power. contrary to what everyone complains about lvling up i actually flew through the content solo in 3-4 days with ease.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    karaad wrote: »
    Don't let them try to sway you, i'm having tons of fun with my GWF but it's a challenge to be a viable class at higher levels. At lower levels control wiz/rogue seem to be crazy with the amount of damage they put out but now that i'm lvl 30, i'm doing around the same and sometimes more damage than the rogue i roll with. As you level, the encounters become harder and mobs have more HP so rogue damage will become balanced with time.

Now as for feats, it's best to pretty much go straight DPS as you'll be an extra toe no one wants on their foot in terms of grouping.

Focus on power/crit/defense mostly in the lower levels, it'll get you through anything, later on, look more into life steal and other 'under rated' stats.

As for feats, focus on damage and crits, anything that can add additional power like 'bonus to power from defense' will help you greatly.

Remember that you are not a 'main tank' but an 'off tank' and while you can take on a large group of mobs, you will always fall short in terms of defense to a Guardian.

You're strong point is group encounters with a lot of monsters to take out, the more you hit, the more powerful you become and the more damage you'll be dishing out.

u clearly know nothing...... nobody cares how class are before lvl60.
  • Options
    sauciflard1sauciflard1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Respecting feats doesn't cost zen. It just costs AD.
    Powers tree does, but even without reading guides, you won't do mistakes.

If you are solo and really want to do pve, you should not play GWF, not until people change their mind or that Cryptic does something.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The class isn't useless.

Typical hyperbolic forumite drama queens. /rolleyes

Yes, groups by and large tend to not want GWFs or GFs in their groups but that has nothing to do with the viability behind GFs or GWFs. That problem lies solely at the feet of Cryptic's design of other classes. Double stacking shields shouldn't be happening. I dunno who thought that was a good idea but they need to be swiftly and repeatedly kicked in the daddy bags. Aggro tables need to be addressed.

GWF is loads of fun and unless you're new to MMOs you should be punching yourself in the face for assuming that this will be the lot of GWFs and GFs for all time. What MMO has never changed any aspect of any class ever in their time online? This month GWFs cry they're not being picked for groups. Next month CWs will be crying that their "slots" are being filled solely by GFs and they're being passed over.

It's an endless cycle. Get used to it or gtfo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    usagi2697usagi2697 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to the club.
    One advise, be patient when playing this class, otherwise you will end up like a lot of other people.
    After hit to 60, I was like..
    you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg
  • Options
    hertruelovehertruelove Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    incareal wrote: »
    u clearly know nothing...... nobody cares how class are before lvl60.

You are clearly a rude person, people at level 10 care about low levels.
  • Options
    hertruelovehertruelove Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This class is a lot of fun, and while from a quick glance at the Rogue (level 5 or so) it seems like they'll fare better overall, the GWF has one of the best 2h Warrior styles I've seen in any MMO, by FAR!

As for advice and tips:

1. Focus on AoE but make sure you still have at least 1 good attack for single targets since you need it for solo questing (Restoring Strike's damage is great, I like it a lot even though it can feel lackluster on the heal).

2. As for must haves: Once you're able, make sure you pick the daily ability "Slam", you'll never need another daily as a GWF and I suggest you don't put points into any other daily ability (beyond the 1 point you get automatically in the first one).

3. I suggest you don't put points into passive "Destroyer" since it's not too reliable for the most part, unless you can make sure you always fight 3+ enemies, but that's not too easy to do at some points.

4. Leveling is somewhat annoying until you reach level 16, make sure that once you hit 16 you rush and grab your Cleric companion. It's a real life saver overall and will make sure you don't run out of potions very 30 minutes. Also, keep sending the Cleric to train when you're not questing, if its rank falls behind you'll find yourself having to resurrect it all the time.

5. As far as Feats go, just go for the damage dealing ones (including those that allow you to gain more Action points / Determination from the Instigator tree). Don't waste your points in any HP Feats since they really aren't useful at any point.

6. Avoid heavy attacks (such that are telegraphed heavily, especially those that cause Crowed Control effects) but take the minor hits as often as you can since it will build your determination. Use your Unstoppable ability after you used your Encounters and spam your At Wills for a high burst.

Other than those points, I think you've got a free choice. Pick skills you enjoy using and enjoy watching (the animations are awesome!). I'm currently level 26 or so, and using Sure Strike + Wicked Strike as At Wills, and Not So Quick + Leap + Restoring Strike as Encounters, I also use the Crit bonus passive and the Determination bonus passive, and I only use Slam as a daily power since it alllowes you to deal damage passively while you keep spamming your abilities.

So far, at this low level, I find that each dungeon/skirmish I do I end up #1 on the DPS meter, I doubt it's my superb gamer skills, it must be the build and how I use it. Rogues/Wizards can't touch me so far, but everyone are complaining so I guess it comes into play at later stages of the game (but that will probably get fixed, as is the nature of MMOs).
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dont play gwf or gf u wont get teams easy ,gf is better option atm it can do better dps then gwf and it is a lot better for pvp
  • Options
    belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1. Look at building two builds; but both with a slam ability. Being able to put out damage in a wide area is beneficial with the slow thrown in and provides alot of versatility. Tank-GWF would want your spinning-swords technique. You really should look into a second daily. There are a few others, and if you bother to read the info, you will see 3 very distinct Daily builds that sync with each tree independently.

2. Don't take hits if you are not using reaping strike. If you are using damage taken for unstoppable, then at least have the gumption to get more out of it then a measely little tick. Reaping strike can hit on par for damage as some encounters and can yield almost 25% of your determination between the damage and the hit taken. (7 mobs, I think.) The only at will ability that is a bit difficult to get used to is weaponmaster strike. All others are quite forgiving and most of them have a further reach then the mobs themselves.

3. If you have constitution, ya.... don't need much extra HP. Mitigation is kind of tasty.

4. Use unstoppable before your encounters; not after. Some builds will yield a bonus to damage while in unstoppable. Encounters build determination at a good pace, and as such "should be used" to build determination. (duh.) Using your daily power is situational. There are at least 3 rotations for slam. Kill mobs, slow mini-bosses, and full dps rotation. dps rotations have 2 options; fast burn, and burn over time. BoT is for boss fights; which means you go into unstoppable after slam happens, instead of during.
  • Options
    belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1. Look at building two builds; but both with a slam ability. Being able to put out damage in a wide area is beneficial with the slow thrown in and provides alot of versatility. Tank-GWF would want your spinning-swords technique. You really should look into a second daily. There are a few others, and if you bother to read the info, you will see 3 very distinct Daily builds that sync with each tree independently.

2. Don't take hits if you are not using reaping strike. If you are using damage taken for unstoppable, then at least have the gumption to get more out of it then a measely little tick. Reaping strike can hit on par for damage as some encounters and can yield almost 25% of your determination between the damage and the hit taken. (7 mobs, I think.) The only at will ability that is a bit difficult to get used to is weaponmaster strike. All others are quite forgiving and most of them have a further reach then the mobs themselves.

3. If you have constitution, ya.... don't need much extra HP. Mitigation is kind of tasty.

4. Use unstoppable before your encounters; not after. Some builds will yield a bonus to damage while in unstoppable. Encounters build determination at a good pace, and as such "should be used" to build determination. (duh.) Using your daily power is situational. There are at least 3 rotations for slam. Kill mobs, slow mini-bosses, and full dps rotation. dps rotations have 2 options; fast burn, and burn over time. BoT is for boss fights; which means you go into unstoppable after slam happens, instead of during.
  • Options
    jyotaijyotai Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    Yes, groups by and large tend to not want GWFs or GFs in their groups but that has nothing to do with the viability behind GFs or GWFs. That problem lies solely at the feet of Cryptic's design of other classes.

GWF is loads of fun and unless you're new to MMOs you should be punching yourself in the face for assuming that this will be the lot of GWFs and GFs for all time. What MMO has never changed any aspect of any class ever in their time online?

Its a question of how long will it take to fix it.

I'd argue Cryptic pretty much let Champions Online die by not having good group play content at launch, and not within the first 3 months.

This game is in beta, and right now its so-called "tank" classes can't...

The healer class seems to be able to tank/heal at the same time.

If that doesn't get fixed before news of this spreads beyond here and into the general press - the game is dead.

I want to like this game, but I'm holding off putting time into it until I see that they will either A, fix this, or B, toss out the 'trinity' concept and go the same way GW2 has. If you make an MMO with a trinity set of classes, all three roles better have a use...
    PST timezone older player. Mostly play tanks and healers. Don't game outside of MMOs.
  • Options
    krakenaznwkrakenaznw Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jyotai wrote: »
    This game is in beta

Yes and no. Sure, they SAY it's beta, yet they also say no more character wipes and they are selling items in the shop.

I can say I'm the king of England, doesn't make it true.

Not trying to be contrary with you, just hate hearing that excuse so much of late. This whole notion of a "soft launch" is something that the online pc game industry needs to dump and dump fast.

I actually agree with all your other points.
  • Options
    jyotaijyotai Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know its both 'true and not true.

I also think its a PR disaster to call it a beta.

I have very little confidence in spending money on the game, as it has the 'beta' label on it. And I'm one who's read that statement of not planning to wipe. How many less informed are staying even further away until it "launches"?
    - I do have friends that are "waiting" for the beta to end so they can "come and play for real..." because they don't read every bit of news and don't feel like being testers...

Given the list of exploits I've been reading about in the general forum - it also seems like the idea of having no more wipes is a bad idea... That the game really should still be in an actual beta rather just called beta...
    - Things like the problems with fighters, and the exploits we're reading about, those are best found when your playerbase consists of thousands of rabid fans who come in knowing they're there to test stuff and try and break it... and so are not upset when their characters get wiped.

They've tied their hands in ways that will make some fixes hard to do, way too soon in the cycle.

Back on topic though:

Playing warrior types is what I do in these games. Way back when I did table top D&D sure I was almost never the fighter, but as soon as I got to MMOs, and we had a 'tank' in our guild quit the game... got hooked the moment I stepped up to fill the spot. And now even in games without tanks the melee heavy hitter is where I go.

If the GWF and GF are -not- going to be tanks, they will need to get on board very soon with saying this, and making them rock solid melee DPS. If they are supposed to be tanks, then they need to be rock solid there.
    - The role for them needs to be made very clear, and it needs to be very effective, or the game will suffer.

And there is a limited window of time to do this.

To the notion of wait for it comes the response of 'for how long'?
    - This isn't something like a missing raid or dungeon. Its core basic play, a trinity-based MMO launching with only 2/3rds of the triangle drawn.
    PST timezone older player. Mostly play tanks and healers. Don't game outside of MMOs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    The class isn't useless.

Typical hyperbolic forumite drama queens. /rolleyes

Yes, groups by and large tend to not want GWFs or GFs in their groups but that has nothing to do with the viability behind GFs or GWFs. That problem lies solely at the feet of Cryptic's design of other classes. Double stacking shields shouldn't be happening. I dunno who thought that was a good idea but they need to be swiftly and repeatedly kicked in the daddy bags. Aggro tables need to be addressed.

GWF is loads of fun and unless you're new to MMOs you should be punching yourself in the face for assuming that this will be the lot of GWFs and GFs for all time. What MMO has never changed any aspect of any class ever in their time online? This month GWFs cry they're not being picked for groups. Next month CWs will be crying that their "slots" are being filled solely by GFs and they're being passed over.

It's an endless cycle. Get used to it or gtfo.

uh just maybe, but only maybe. TRs atwills do 3times more dmg than GWF (at +- same GS). but as u say GWF is totaly fine.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You are clearly a rude person, people at level 10 care about low levels.

u lvl to 60 in around 30hours of game time. but u will totaly spend much more time AT 60 - therefore the lvling is irrelevant
  • Options
    krakenaznwkrakenaznw Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    incareal wrote: »
    u lvl to 60 in around 30hours of game time. but u will totaly spend much more time AT 60 - therefore the lvling is irrelevant

Just because some people don't care about leveling, doesn't mean all don't.
  • Options
    spondgebob1spondgebob1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you don't have friends that are playing wizards and clerics to play dungeons with them, don't bother with this class on lvl 60. You'll be removed from +8300 dungeons parties before u get inside, no matter the gear, skill etc.. 2nd Wiz that can throw mobs off cliff or 2nd Cleric in the group will always be more useful then you.
  • Options
    extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I would agree with some others. The fighters are in a bad place at very late end game right now. If you greatly enjoy the class and play style I'd stay kick some *** and play it anyway.

I strongly believe improvements are on the way for the fighter classes especially the GWF. How long that will be is a big unknown but the lead producer, while dancing around with his words, knows that the class isn't in a great place right now.

So my advice is play what makes you happy to log in and know that if it is the GWF, that end game is not good for him right now, but changes should be coming somewhere on the horizon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF