test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can you make cleric just like wizard?

yatenkunyatenkun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Temple
Pretty much a simple question. Can you make a cleric just to use magic like in original neverwinter, or is this some kind of hybrid between fighter and wizard?
Post edited by yatenkun on

Comments

• sasiryasasirya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can dish out some pretty decent damage using daunting light/sunburst/Flame Strike. The only downside to it is that no one is going to take you into groups unless you have astral shield as an encounter. Which is a no brainer whether you like it or not, its just way too good right now.
  • phigmnentphigmnent Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    yatenkun wrote: »
    Pretty much a simple question. Can you make a cleric just to use magic like in original neverwinter, or is this some kind of hybrid between fighter and wizard?

Not sure TBH....I'm trying it on my alt cleric (40'ish) but its more of a dotter/healer setup

FM and AS are just about mandatory..That leaves 1 spot for another, but the sad part is I cannot find one that is that useful. If the root was not so bad awful (delay), I would take that. Sunburst is nice to get some space, but its dmg/healing is really subpar (though the knockback is nice).

Right now I'm trying Break Spirit (dot/slow if used in D), FM (dot/slow/heal (if used in D), Doom (until I get AS) then its respec time. Our dmg is going to suck until we get 50+ talents. If I read everything correctly, we could stack over 20% dmg bonus while dishing out 10-15% dmg reductions. I dont see many clerics, or groups wanting an off hand DPS hybrid healer/dmg dealer....but its play how you want imho
  • beldukilbeldukil Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    yatenkun wrote: »
    Clerics only use magic in neverwinter. Even their spam attack is magic. They do not melee at all.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    phigmnent wrote: »
    Not sure TBH....I'm trying it on my alt cleric (40'ish) but its more of a dotter/healer setup

FM and AS are just about mandatory..That leaves 1 spot for another, but the sad part is I cannot find one that is that useful. If the root was not so bad awful (delay), I would take that. Sunburst is nice to get some space, but its dmg/healing is really subpar (though the knockback is nice).

Right now I'm trying Break Spirit (dot/slow if used in D), FM (dot/slow/heal (if used in D), Doom (until I get AS) then its respec time. Our dmg is going to suck until we get 50+ talents. If I read everything correctly, we could stack over 20% dmg bonus while dishing out 10-15% dmg reductions. I dont see many clerics, or groups wanting an off hand DPS hybrid healer/dmg dealer....but its play how you want imho

I don't use Sunburst for it's heal or it's damage. I use it to biuld AP. If you cast it when you're crowded with countless adds, which you are almost all the time, it builds a crapload of AP, allowing you to fill your AP gauge with just 3 casts of it (and those BotS and ASeals you cast in between).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • phigmnentphigmnent Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    I don't use Sunburst for it's heal or it's damage. I use it to biuld AP. If you cast it when you're crowded with countless adds, which you are almost all the time, it builds a crapload of AP, allowing you to fill your AP gauge with just 3 casts of it (and those BotS and ASeals you cast in between).

I use DOOM for AP right now....I can get nearly 60% of a bar in 1 doom used in divinity on a target dying. I get Doom back, and ready to use a Daily in mere secs with no wait in cool downs. I will go with AS soon as I can get it though.
  • goswsergoswser Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think you can build a quite good dps cleric. I'm level 38 now on mine and I've always been top 2 in dps in skirmishes/dungeons. If there are lots of adds, not just single targeting I'm most of the time top1 because of all the aoe a cleric can dish out.

Only stat I care about atm is recovery, but you get diminishing returns later so I'm going into crit/power. The recovery I have now just lets me spam my skills, all under 10s cd pretty much. For soloing I use sunburst, daunting light and blazing chains. For grouping I switch out sunburst for searing light(hits up to 25 times with a good hit, if you hit 5 mobs with it standing close to eachother). Key note: use encounter directly of cd, divinity for searing and daunting. Dailys are Flame Strike and Hallowed atm. Flame strike for everything except bosses and hallowed to aid the team in the drawn out fights.

I don't know how it works out later, but it sure is nice atm. Even get some comments some times after the dungeons is done about the big dps :)
  • crusdelsurcrusdelsur Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As someone who played Neverwinter Nights, yes and more so for the moment you are actually stuck being a caster cleric or "wizard"

I can only hope sometime in the future they release the original melee buffer cleric :(