test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Little GWF tricks

bumperlips93bumperlips93 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hey all, I was just wondering if you could share some GWF tricks here to help either with damage or survivability. It could be an underrated skill, or something else.

I have to say, once I saw the post about dash canceling, GWF got alot more fun for me. Using WMS and dash canceling after the first strike and repeating over and over again yields some sick damage. It's even more amazing in Unstoppable as you do it insanely fast. However, the timing for normal and unstoppable are both different so you have to get a feel for it.

Maybe some other people have useful dash canceling tricks? Share em here :o
Post edited by bumperlips93 on

Comments

• tonylolwuttonylolwut Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So basically you're exploiting
  • fransbauerfransbauer Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What's dash cancelling?
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fransbauer wrote: »
    What's dash cancelling?

It's exploiting.

Don't get used to it, it will be fixed. Don't do it in PvP, you will get infracted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karaadkaraad Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Dash cancelling is where you use your sprint(dash/dodge) ability[SHIFT] to cancel the current action you are doing, in some cases, like when using WMS, if you cancel after the first hit, you'll be dealing more damage by attack -> cancel -> repeat. Use attack, dash to cancel, go on and on.

This is not an exploit, it's not like were dealing millions of damage in half a second like another fighter class. This merely lets us keep an edge on ourselves to be able to be viable.

Canceling is a MECHANIC in the game, like in ANY GAME that requires you to dodge and use left/right click to attack. Hell, we would heavy stand cancel in Vindictus and be invincible as long as you got the timing down properly. Not to mention butterfly attacks from GUNZ and I could seriously keep going with other references.
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    It's exploiting.

Don't get used to it, it will be fixed. Don't do it in PvP, you will get infracted.

Can I get a source on the fact that it's an exploit?
  • anicocia88anicocia88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I didn't know people intentionally did this for DPS. I noticed you could do it early on and have been using it to get hits in before red circles collapse on me, etc.

I suppose it could be considered an abuse of the sprint mechanic, but until we hear otherwise I would imagine use of it would not be a ban-able offense.
    edited May 2013
    It's using a working in game mechanic, I read multiple forum posts and found nothing about dash canceling being illegal. I'm gonna do it until they make it so I can't and I guarantee I won't be banned.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How is this an exploit in any way, shape or form? The GWF's mechanic is different for all the other classes - until it becomes an auto-dodge button as other classes have it isn't an issue.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't see how that's an exploit, unless it's doing WAAAAAY too much dmg or something.

You're spending stamina for more dmg, nothing wrong with that.

Currently a newbie GWF but one i've been doing is charging Reaping Strike then firing it by using my other At Will to skip the long animation so you can start attacking or charging another one faster. Although Encounters will also cancel that anim.

The way I see it, they're fun little mechanics to make the game more interesting, like Aion and jumpcasting, canceling, weaving etc.

If anything I wish they made the initial cost for sprint cheaper so it could be used more readily for anim canceling to make GWF even more fluid of a fighter.

Also when I'm using Unstoppable and dps'ing with At Wills, right before it falls off I'll start charging a quick reaping strike and then unleash it with Sure Strike for extra dps.
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow monkeys think typical action fair is an exploit
  • bumperlips93bumperlips93 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Until some community mod or dev tells me it's an exploit and brings this down to try and not spread it, I'll keep doing it.

I honestly don't think it's an exploit. Sprint is very unique and if they didn't get the idea that you can cancel your animations of some skills with it when they created it, then idk what to say. Sort of reminds me of fighting games a little bit and that's why it's alot of fun to me.
  • bighalsybighalsy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They didn't spend the time and money to create the animations for the hell of it. They exist for a reason. If they didn't, they wouldn't exist. So yes, it is very much an exploit because you've figured a way out to circumvent a design that was put in place to prevent it in the first place. See if they don't nip in the bud sooner than later. No, it's not a major issue but it's still an issue.
    Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
  • kissmarklynkissmarklyn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about DoTA's Animation Cancelling? Would you all say that it is an exploit?
  • oogliestoogliest Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I mentioned it in another thread, but I might as well post it here as well.

You can cast Slam and Crescendo simultaneously if you time your Crescendo press right. Exploit? Yeah, but it's a somewhat tricky thing to pull off consistently and I wouldn't really calling it game breaking within the context of the current game. Here's a demo of me doing it on the dummies (you can also laugh at me messing up my rotation): http://www.filedropper.com/doubledaily

Lining up multiple targets for an Indomitable Battle Strike gives exponentially more AP than just hitting one target. It's not something you can test on the dummies consistently (I had a lot of trouble finding that sweet spot where the edge of IBS hit the middle dummy), but it's clear as day when you're out in the field. I've had dailies hit literally seconds apart just because of Come and Get It, good positioning, and IBS.

Anecdotally, I'd say that blowing your encounters during unstoppable is a waste unless you're desperate to avoid a stun/knockback/prone. Obviously, it's situational and there will be times when popping some encounters while unstoppable is the right choice, but I've definitely got the impression that volume of swings is optimal when going unstoppable. With all the bonuses given to at-wills in the feat trees and the speed of swings (even on slower at-wills like WMS and WS), it just feels like you're pumping out more damage than wasting determination on slow animations like IBS. Although this might just be a case of my poor gear not allowing encounters a chance to really shine. Anyone with some concrete data on unstoppable at-wills vs. encounters (maybe vs. dailies)?
    edited May 2013
    Considering that GWF's have to do this most of the time to even be a viable party member shows how much were hurting in the first place. I'm a huge fan of niches like this in MMO's and I tend to find them quickly. This however only allows our class to play on par with others in terms of dps/aggro and we wouldn't have a need for it if we weren't so broken in the first place.
  • daedracdaedrac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    bighalsy wrote: »
    They didn't spend the time and money to create the animations for the hell of it. They exist for a reason. If they didn't, they wouldn't exist. So yes, it is very much an exploit because you've figured a way out to circumvent a design that was put in place to prevent it in the first place. See if they don't nip in the bud sooner than later. No, it's not a major issue but it's still an issue.

Then I would absolutely LOVE to see cast animations for CW's because they cast CC instantly even BEFORE they dismount. GWF cast animations are far too long.
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    karaad wrote: »
    Can I get a source on the fact that it's an exploit?

The fact that I can, have and will continue to chain CC players in PvP without reprisal or any chance of them fighting back cannot, in any sense of the word, be "intended" design. No one. I repeat... no... one... can beat me in 1v1 PvP unless they use the exact same trick against me (which I haven't met a single GWF who has figured this out yet).

Now you ask yourself, "Why do you keep doing it if you're against it?"

Answer: It's fun. I'll admit it. Who doesn't want to be immortal and defend a point against the entire oppositions team as your own team yells at you in chat saying they're going to report you for hacking? If that's "intended" then Cryptic is in for a ****storm as other GWFs start to figure my trick out and it becomes more popular.

But I do this to bring awareness to the problem. The more people complain and report me the higher it gets on Cryptics to-do list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pyke1pyke1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Every class I have played so far is capable of animation canceling.... SO I doubt it is an exploit. Most animations can be stopped mid animation, and if time right, will still cast the ability. I do it with my CW all the time. I have perfected canceling Sudden Storm mid cast, and getting Chill Strike out, sometimes even getting Chill Strike to hit the target first, even though it was cast second. This has made sudden storm a very powerful ability in PvP for me. Point is, if the devs didn't want us canceling animations, they wouldn't allow player to use other abilities or move during animations. But we can. So...

And even if it wasn't intended it should be left in the game, it raises the skill bar. In Age of Conan, Combo canceling was absolutely needed to be competitive in that game, especially in PvP. It took tons of practice to become skilled at combo canceling. And even after years of people screaming exploit, it was never changed, and some abilities animations were changed to make combo canceling more viable. Every class can do it, and if the ability to do so is taken away, I can promise that this games combat will feel much much slower paced.
    edited May 2013
    edit- whoops
  • snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Aye, GF can guard cancel a lot of animations too, by tapping guard.
    Snow's Melee Arena: NW-DMT7STJ9E
    Combat arena. Adjustable challenge.
    Difficulty: Adjustable easy - very hard
    Duration: Adjustable 1 - 25min
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    The fact that I can, have and will continue to chain CC players in PvP without reprisal or any chance of them fighting back cannot, in any sense of the word, be "intended" design. No one. I repeat... no... one... can beat me in 1v1 PvP unless they use the exact same trick against me (which I haven't met a single GWF who has figured this out yet).

Now you ask yourself, "Why do you keep doing it if you're against it?"

Answer: It's fun. I'll admit it. Who doesn't want to be immortal and defend a point against the entire oppositions team as your own team yells at you in chat saying they're going to report you for hacking? If that's "intended" then Cryptic is in for a ****storm as other GWFs start to figure my trick out and it becomes more popular.

But I do this to bring awareness to the problem. The more people complain and report me the higher it gets on Cryptics to-do list.

So the answer is actually 'No, I do not have proof that it's an exploit'? Also, your long winded posts that I've been reading seem to be less about actual information and more about making yourself sound smart. To back this up, I quote your above post.

You didn't answer my question, you told a story about how you can be a bad *** to make yourself look good. You're not Adam West, a simple "nope, no info here lol" would have been perfectly fine.
  • piddunwpiddunw Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WMS and suddenly wicked strike, seems to work as cancelling...
    edited May 2013
    piddunw wrote: »
    WMS and suddenly wicked strike, seems to work as cancelling...

With an Instigator build you 100% have to do this to maintain enough DPS to not just be a wasted party slot. Take away animation canceling and yet another GWF build will be broken. Though I'm not sure if this ability counts, since its an after image that is attacking while you break animation and start your wicked strikes.
  • bunzagabunzaga Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    Any other tricks, besides the animation cancelling thingy?
  • valenderiovalenderio Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure.

1. Dont use encounters during unstoppable unless absolutely necessary.
    2. Stay outta red ****, use sprint to get away, get behind the enemy while it winds up for combat advantage bonus
    3. Collect Underpants
    4. during unstoppable focus on using at will attacks
    5. chain daily skills after coming out of unstoppable or when you want to avoid an enemy skill. Avalanche of steel is helpful for this.
    6. ????
    7. surprise attack the enemy, one of my early chain attacks while questing is to use avalanche of steel. or using leaping stomp+not so fast, if anything is left standing afterwards beat some *** with w/e you got left ;)

8. Don't be afraid to pot.
    9. Profit
    10. Protect your healer and dont be so focused on the boss you let them get eaten by adds.

MUFFINS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Everyone has a Plan until they get Punched in the Mouth. I am a Fighter.. I punch first. - Zweisocki
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oogliest wrote: »
    I mentioned it in another thread, but I might as well post it here as well. I've had dailies hit literally seconds apart just because of Come and Get It, good positioning, and IBS.

Anecdotally, I'd say that blowing your encounters during unstoppable is a waste unless you're desperate to avoid a stun/knockback/prone. Obviously, it's situational and there will be times when popping some encounters while unstoppable is the right choice, but I've definitely got the impression that volume of swings is optimal when going unstoppable. With all the bonuses given to at-wills in the feat trees and the speed of swings (even on slower at-wills like WMS and WS), it just feels like you're pumping out more damage than wasting determination on slow animations like IBS. Although this might just be a case of my poor gear not allowing encounters a chance to really shine. Anyone with some concrete data on unstoppable at-wills vs. encounters (maybe vs. dailies)?

Ha, try using Come and Get It at lvl 60 in the epics or PvP. It's a worthless skill until they make the GWF invulnerable while you charge and use it. I scrapped that thing way early on, around level 45, when I was getting knocked over by creatures and found CaGI was completed by the time I stood up. The damage boost you get with it is negligible, nothing to get excited over. In 60 PvP you need to move, to learn to get around opponents quickly while still attacking, and that skill just leaves you open for a mass attack in PvP. Trust me, don't use it. If you know how to use your skills properly you can make the GWF a machine in both PvE and PvP. All it takes is simple arrangement so you can switch from single targets to groups readily. But that's my secret, I worked too hard to become a beast.