test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't blame people for going AFK in PvP

tormentcaketormentcake Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Seriously, it's that bad.

More often than not, if it's not the gear that wins it, it's CW+C ratio more than anything.

Not to mention the reward system; half of the time you defend points and chase away multiple targets to get absolutely nothing, while the two twats defending a single post vs. the same guy kamikaze'ing into them gets the top score (oh yay blue item to waste a scroll on, I know..)

Ironically, most of the time I've carried games I wasn't first place, but barely in the top 5. I hate to hearken back to something we've all played, but it took that particular game YEARS to get PvP right.

It's nice that winning matters, but the whole K/D/A aspect is kind of ridiculous and out of place. Why doesn't damage dealt have the biggest weight? It's like entering a dungeon and only looking at the trash skill number as a measure of efficacy. It's ridiculous.

"But guys, it's not a PvP game!" Maybe not to some, but to others it sure as hell is. NWN has historically, at least every single game before this one with NWN in its title, has been rather strong in PvP with the original game having PvP ladders and everything.

So, to make this criticism somewhat constructive let me give some of the problems with this game with proposed solutions:

1. CW spammable ranged CC (vs. limited CC breaking cooldown)

Solution: Strongly diminishing returns

2. CW/Ranged domination on hold points, especially on pillars.

Solution: Make points merely require an active presence capping them and not physically require them to be directly in an area. It also wouldn't hurt to make GWF and TR more mobile than they currently are, heck give GF another charge while you're at it.

There's plenty else to suggest, like larger health pools, or some stat to mitigate damage in PvP to do away with the insta-gibs, but eh..
Post edited by tormentcake on

Comments

• Options
    squareysquarey Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ya why they gotta blame me for going afk?? it aint my fault i got 3 kids to take care of so sometimes i go afk so what im sorry
  • Options
    anubis136anubis136 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that the scoring needs to be changed. I'm often at the bottom, but only because I seem to be the only one who realizes that we don't need 5 people sitting on an empty point to cap it. I run off to go do something useful while most people sit on the point to get the +300, even though we only need 1 person to do it.

Maybe the +300 can be scaled based on your contribution in that area in the time preceding the cap. Something like 300 * (your damage done + damage taken + time spent on cap) / (highest contribution).
    squarey wrote: »
    ya why they gotta blame me for going afk?? it aint my fault i got 3 kids to take care of so sometimes i go afk so what im sorry

Nobody is blaming people who go afk because of real life, they're blaming the people who spam Zone chat with things like "LF2M AFK PvP party." These people intentionally join PvP games and go afk, because they still get the rewards.
  • Options
    xaradevriesxaradevries Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is supposed to be a team effort, and even tracking "points" aside from simple K/D ratios (which should not have any reward effect but merely showcase your e-peen) is pretty lame.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    anubis136 wrote: »
    I agree that the scoring needs to be changed. I'm often at the bottom, but only because I seem to be the only one who realizes that we don't need 5 people sitting on an empty point to cap it. I run off to go do something useful while most people sit on the point to get the +300, even though we only need 1 person to do it.

Maybe the +300 can be scaled based on your contribution in that area in the time preceding the cap. Something like 300 * (your damage done + damage taken + time spent on cap) / (highest contribution).

Nobody is blaming people who go afk because of real life, they're blaming the people who spam Zone chat with things like "LF2M AFK PvP party." These people intentionally join PvP games and go afk, because they still get the rewards.
    This is supposed to be a team effort, and even tracking "points" aside from simple K/D ratios (which should not have any reward effect but merely showcase your e-peen) is pretty lame.

Have to agree with both of you: Either it has to be removed (I strongly agree with Xaradevries that it ought to be, since the outcome is the most important factor), or made much more sophisticated.

Imagine if LoL were entirely stat based... good luck getting anybody to play anything, but carry.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can and do blame people for giving up. It's called sportsmanship, if you afk after you start to lose you have none.
  • Options
    jinle0522jinle0522 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play a GF, and have full pvp set + 20k glory sitting around. So I've played some pvp for credibility, never find problems with CW to be that bad in equal number team fights or 1v1.

2-3 of them ganking up on me, yeah I am going to die, 2-3 of any 1 class ganking up on anyone they die too.

I've received blue items as 1st, and winning in a game being dead last on the score board. Don't really see what the big deal is.
  • Options
    bloodygatitabloodygatita Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    I can and do blame people for giving up. It's called sportsmanship, if you afk after you start to lose you have none.

I do and will

I give up to help end it sooner.

In fact, I'm AFK right now fixing another drink. Don't kick me..
  • Options
    auferoaufero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I have the option, I kick anyone who's AFK.

I understand the frustration over some aspects of PvP being unbalanced right now, but entering and then going AFK just punishes those of us who want to play.
  • Options
    desmundesmun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    I hate that almost every match is with unmatched team numbers. The match maker is broken! 3v5 is NOT fun! This game is awesome but these server are suck.
  • Options
    hycinthushycinthus Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Going AFK in PvP is just offensive for people who truly want to PvP. It's like what's the point? Go do PVE if you don't want to PvP.

Also, people now have a work around the auto-kick when inactive. What they do now is just face the wall and auto-run, and then afk. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    asakochanasakochan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i'm not the one that complains easy, i never afk on pvp even if i'm alone and the other team are 5, i still go out and try to have fun lols

But what buggs me is when i see this rogue doing on me 30k crit at lvl 58. Man is this normal? I have 18k hp, i'm a cleric. In normal situations it happened that i could tank for a good amount of time a base against 3 playes, happened even against 4, while my team was owning the other 2 bases....is a strategy cos most of the guys outthere are chasing the cleric as the one to take down because of his heals. They don't think my team can manage survive and this kind of pvp is not about kills, is about base points ownership.
    So yeah, i have good resistance/endurance in pvp and i know very well my class. But what drive me nuts is being killed in 1 shot by this TR because he crit 30-35k. Is just NOT NORMAL! And at lvl 58 he does not have pvp gear. Is not fun att all....what is the point of doing a pvp match if once i land on the area he push a button and i'm dead, and his team mates just stand there doing nothing.

Now free to trolls to jump and rant!
  • Options
    teseratorteserator Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you dont want to play then DONT PLAY. Being AFK is the ******yest thing in the world. Feel ashamed
  • Options
    satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    asakochan wrote: »
    So yeah, i have good resistance/endurance in pvp

Defensive stats don't matter in PvP, you could be a GF with full defense and over 30k HP and a TR is still going to 1 shot you with a crit.
  • Options
    asakochanasakochan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Defensive stats don't matter in PvP, you could be a GF with full defense and over 30k HP and a TR is still going to 1 shot you with a crit.

and you think is normal.......!!!!!???!!
  • Options
    satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    asakochan wrote: »
    and you think is normal.......!!!!!???!!

No, in my opinion offensive values need to be dropped a bit while increasing defensive values, as well as individual skill balances such as different cool downs, bases, etc for PvP only. Right now TRs are 1 shotting, CWs instagib with easy combos and if a team has a DC and the other does then well guess who wins, seems to be issues with GWF skills easily being canceled too.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I can't believe people on here are trying to defend themselves for going AFK.

That's freakin' ridiculous people! You screw over the rest of your team mates. PVP in this game is a team sport. If you aren't going to give it 100% stay out of the queue.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

What skill? I'm not aware of anything in the game that can one-shot you from 30k HP as GF and some semblance of defense.

If you're talking about shocking execution, it functions like execute in WoW; it's not a skill you use when somebody is full health as nearly half of its potential damage is derived from your missing hp.

One-shot implies from full-health to 0. Can a CW even do that? I've never been one-shot (two-shot, quite often) and I'm a TR.

As for the rest of you... this post was not about AFKing per se, but the poor state of PvP (in my opinion) at the moment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What skill? I'm not aware of anything in the game that can one-shot you from 30k HP as GF and some semblance of defense.

If you're talking about shocking execution, it functions like execute in WoW; it's not a skill you use when somebody is full health as nearly half of its potential damage is derived from your missing hp.

One-shot implies from full-health to 0. Can a CW even do that? I've never been one-shot (two-shot, quite often) and I'm a TR.
    I've been 1 shot by a TR on multiple occasion when they do crit, and my friend plays a TR as well kills in 1~2 shots, I also never said CWs can 1 shot, but they do kill in like 3 without any effort and at a large distance. PvP is far from balanced and you won't get anywhere unless you're 1 of 3 classes. Rewards system isn't even fair either, ie an afker sometimes getting more than a person who actually tried which is only giving afkers an actual reason to do so.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've been 1 shot by a TR on multiple occasion when they do crit, and my friend plays a TR as well kills in 1~2 shots, I also never said CWs can 1 shot, but they do kill in like 3 without any effort and at a large distance. PvP is far from balanced and you won't get anywhere unless you're 1 of 3 classes. Rewards system isn't even fair either, ie an afker sometimes getting more than a person who actually tried which is only giving afkers an actual reason to do so.

Ok, what skill did he use?

Do you have any screenshots, or logs to corroborate that? I've never seen it happen. Not on a guardian fighter that wasn't naked.
  • Options
    mathakarmathakar Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    Seriously, it's that bad.

More often than not, if it's not the gear that wins it, it's CW+C ratio more than anything.

Not to mention the reward system; half of the time you defend points and chase away multiple targets to get absolutely nothing, while the two twats defending a single post vs. the same guy kamikaze'ing into them gets the top score (oh yay blue item to waste a scroll on, I know..)

Ironically, most of the time I've carried games I wasn't first place, but barely in the top 5. I hate to hearken back to something we've all played, but it took that particular game YEARS to get PvP right.

It's nice that winning matters, but the whole K/D/A aspect is kind of ridiculous and out of place. Why doesn't damage dealt have the biggest weight? It's like entering a dungeon and only looking at the trash skill number as a measure of efficacy. It's ridiculous.

"But guys, it's not a PvP game!" Maybe not to some, but to others it sure as hell is. NWN has historically, at least every single game before this one with NWN in its title, has been rather strong in PvP with the original game having PvP ladders and everything.

So, to make this criticism somewhat constructive let me give some of the problems with this game with proposed solutions:

1. CW spammable ranged CC (vs. limited CC breaking cooldown)

Solution: Strongly diminishing returns

2. CW/Ranged domination on hold points, especially on pillars.

Solution: Make points merely require an active presence capping them and not physically require them to be directly in an area. It also wouldn't hurt to make GWF and TR more mobile than they currently are, heck give GF another charge while you're at it.

There's plenty else to suggest, like larger health pools, or some stat to mitigate damage in PvP to do away with the insta-gibs, but eh..

You must be freaking <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I can't believe what I just saw. Buff TRs? Are you joking? They have the best Single target DPS, can get immune to any form of CC for a while, their dodge is the same as the CW teleport, they can disable you, They can get invisible and STILL ATTACK YOU and finally, they got the highest burst damage.

GF are not meant to be DPS, they are meant to be the annoying guy that you just don't want to bother killing. Which is what they already are. Their block ability is simply retardedly strong. I personally don't even bother with them unless there is nobody else to kill around. They are just a big waste of time to kill.

Really, you just sound like you got screwed for being bad and are now butthurt.

Oh, and as for people being afk, They simply need to change the scoring system and make it so Winning and losing give the least glory and DOING **** gives the most.
  • Options
    greg455greg455 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't blame me for kicking my team and losing faster either.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I laugh at people who think kills are what matters in Domination mode. Earlier today we were a team of 4 who beat a team of 5 simply because we knew what the whole point wasn't about kills. Learn the objectives and there shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok, what skill did he use?

Do you have any screenshots, or logs to corroborate that? I've never seen it happen. Not on a guardian fighter that wasn't naked.

Don't play TR (yet) so unsure what it would be called.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    desmun wrote: »
    I hate that almost every match is with unmatched team numbers. The match maker is broken! 3v5 is NOT fun! This game is awesome but these server are suck.

Yeah, those are the only times i'll go afk. Had a match today where all but me and one other dropped. A little bit another joined, so it was 3 to 5. When someone asked why we weren't fighting back, we told them, and got called names. If there is zero chance to even live long, it makes no sense to feed them kills. Sometimes just to keep busy i'll attempt to do something, only to be killed in a couple hits.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mathakar wrote: »
    Really, you just sound like you got screwed for being bad and are now butthurt.

Aww, that's adorable.

Now run along and play some CoD.
  • Options
    khandar21khandar21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, this community IS a bunch of whiners, the rumors were true
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    It is pretty funny how bad their scoring system is. It invariably awards number one to the very worst players, game after game after game.
  • Options
    xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rumors? lol
    that is in every game, thats like totaly normal for every mmorpg.
    wk to pvp
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The PvP has to be the worst part of the game, it is so unnecessarily long winded and boring its not surprising people wanna go afk.

I mean even with a half decent team your looking at 10 mins minimum of repetitive backwards and forwards, most games averaging 15mins and boring you to tears.
    So 30 - 40 mins of tear inducing blandness for your daily? uuurrgghh..

And for what anyway? its only another facet of the game thats broken, ive got guild members maxed out at 25k Glory already so in turn making any Glory items pretty much worthless...
  • Options
    alaazxxcalaazxxc Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    i am CW lvl 56 and i have never ever got one shoted from a rouge so maybe you are just bad and terrible at dodging other players attacks