test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there or would there (request) be a way to disable the map?

jnaathrajnaathra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I feel like there are no dungeons I can really get lost in. No foundry content that challenges my ability to think in three dimensions.. because sitting in the top right corner is a top down view of everything.

Would it be possible to let us disable the map for our content? I would like to create/recreate dungeons that make me think and move a little more slowly. Dungeons where I go... "Haven't I seen this before.." only to find out I have somehow gone in a circle and lost my way.
Scout Tragold - "I haven't lived this long by being brave... it's just another word for stupid."
Post edited by jnaathra on

Comments

• Options
    ahkronnemesisahkronnemesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As someone that makes exploration quests with lots of "untold objectives" I sign this request.
    It'd be great to be able to disable the map. I already disabled most of the quest (glimmering) paths on my quests, but not having a map would be ideal, or even better, let it be activated by a command (i.e.: if you find a map in the dungeon, then some of the rooms will be displayed)
    [Campaign] Into the Heart of Time (NWS-DLSK763NH) by @ahkronnemesis
    Chapter I - The Cult of Kairos (NW-DJFINX9KB)
    Chapter II - The Halls of Mortality (NW-DOE3ZC671)
    Chapter III - Paradox ( Soon )
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The best option for an author to do this is to float objects above or below the map, they will show up on the minimap as additional clutter. I have used this in a cave to make it possible to hide the layout from the player.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    ahkronnemesisahkronnemesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    The best option for an author to do this is to float objects above or below the map, they will show up on the minimap as additional clutter. I have used this in a cave to make it possible to hide the layout from the player.

Unfortunately, in large layouts with a lot of detailing, the limit of detail objects don't help.

I did cover all the caves so it's harder to see where to go in each room by itself, but that's about the best I can do.
    [Campaign] Into the Heart of Time (NWS-DLSK763NH) by @ahkronnemesis
    Chapter I - The Cult of Kairos (NW-DJFINX9KB)
    Chapter II - The Halls of Mortality (NW-DOE3ZC671)
    Chapter III - Paradox ( Soon )
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I wasn't saying it was perfect but it is a workaround. I have taken using more maps but in the end even that doesn't solve it as there is a budget for the whole quest in around the 5k objects or less range. You you could really only have about 3 full maps at that detail level.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am lost, the protagonist sees what you show them, you can make any dungeon you want
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am lost, the protagonist sees what you show them, you can make any dungeon you want

I have many hidden rooms in my map, you either need to be a specific class or have completed certain dialogue checks for the room to become available. Before that you wouldn't even know the hidden room existed. That is unless you pressed M and looked at the map.
    Dr. Herc trilogy NWS-DHDPDVTMA
  • Options
    gamdariangamdarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hercul33t wrote: »
    . That is unless you pressed M and looked at the map.

I think that is his request, not being able to SEE the rooms on your minimap/map untill you have "explored" it. I think the easiest way for Cryptic to do this is to let the foundry creators add a fog of war to their dungeon.
    Murkeep Monastery - Foundry quest in need of reviews - NW-DNQY9CXMZ - Just updated to V1.5

Leave your code in the review and I will return the favor!