test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cleric companion AI is painfully bad

gannotgannot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The starter companion only goes to level 15. Ok, I can handle that. I get that it's a way to drive money into the game.

The problem is that at level 50 the companion is useless in boss fights. They don't try to dodge power attacks at all, so what happens is that they fall down and so I kite the boss for a little bit. Knock the boss down and run back to my cleric.

I pick them up right about the same time the boss goes into a power attack. I dodge the red zone while my cleric stands there staring off into space. Bam, down goes the cleric. Rinse and repeat.

It gets even sillier when the adds spawn and immediately run for my cleric even though I am wailing on them with combat advantage from behind.

Between the crazy amount of ag that healing draws and the poor AI of the cleric boss fights go from being an epic battle to a babysitting job.

Hit boss, drink potion, revive cleric. Deal with adds, revive cleric, drink potion. Hit boss for a few seconds. Revive cleric. Deal with more adds. Drink potion. Revive cleric.

Wheeeeee! This is always how I imagined the thrill of battle!
Post edited by gannot on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Wow... I just tried the same boss battle again and my cleric ran INTO the red danger zone. No joke. I watched the cleric run right into the blast zone of the rimehound.

Do I need to spend astral diamonds on anti-depression medication so my cleric is not suicidal?
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gannot wrote: »
    Hit boss, drink potion, revive cleric. Deal with adds, revive cleric, drink potion. Hit boss for a few seconds. Revive cleric. Deal with more adds. Drink potion. Revive cleric.

Yea, that's my cleric companion, indeed.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    crstirizlxxviicrstirizlxxvii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    While I am only level 25 at this time, I have to agree. My cleric likes to get up close and personal with the mobs and apparently only wants to heal AFTER the battle is over. I guess it's too time consuming to heal me DURING the battle.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Wheeeeee! This is always how I imagined the thrill of battle!

Get better companion, let companion do it's thing, if it dies ignore it, use potions to heal yourself, win. The cleric is fine for what she is, but people using her past where level 15 ones are useful is laughable. If you are going to use her later, learn to dodge, avoid the bad, and use potions. She will die, all the time. There are plenty of other companions, use those. I've seen a ton of blue and purple ones on the AH, if you don't want to buy one. When i see the cleric in epic dungeons, i know people will not be the best players, and watch people not even using potions when they are about to die or then complain when they do die.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm 48, still use the cleric, never had any issues and it hardly ever dies.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    I'm 48, still use the cleric, never had any issues and it hardly ever dies.

I'm 45, & my Cleric has been dying constantly ever since around 38 or so. She's not "useless," but in boss fights I take it for granted that the wave of adds will kill her & I'll be stuck kiting the boss around until it dies or I do.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    mennelonmennelon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    You're just not thinking about this the right way. You don't have a companion who'll stand back and heal, tossing the occasional sacred flame, what you have is a decoy spell that takes 5 seconds to cast/revive.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    I'm 45, & my Cleric has been dying constantly ever since around 38 or so. She's not "useless," but in boss fights I take it for granted that the wave of adds will kill her & I'll be stuck kiting the boss around until it dies or I do.

Sounds like you need to learn to play and keep aggro off your cleric.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I'm a Trickster Rogue. We don't do aggro, especially when the wave of adds ignores you completely, & even when you're beating on them with Combat Advantage they ignore you to beat on the cleric.

But thanks for the totally meaningful, thoughtful & helpful suggestion, I can't believe nobody else thought of that :rolleyes:
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think you didn't understand.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin
  • Options
    mathakarmathakar Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    And you guys haven't seen the Companions jumping to their death when you push Adds down cliffs and such. I still can't understand what kind of poor Ai programming would make the companion literally jump off the map just to get one more hit on them... and then die.

It's so annoying...

I can't wait to get a freaking cat or Stone so I don't have to worry about them ever again. It'll be great.
  • Options
    infestedchris12infestedchris12 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Don't expect complicated AI programming from Cryptic. I agree at 50 they become useless. The heal doesn't justify the health-pool at that level. And they die very quickly to strong attacks. I wish it was like in SWTOR. In that game the companions were great all the way through because they level with you and you can deck them with gear.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    fakatik wrote: »
    I think you didn't understand.

I wasn't talking to you, so no I don't understand why would offer your nonsense opinion on someone else s conversation.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wasn't talking to you, so no I don't understand why would offer your nonsense opinion on someone else s conversation.

Look, the big boy who spent 60 dollars on a game before it even launched is getting defensive about his jerkass post that showed he has no reading comprehension.
  • Options
    darkfayte01darkfayte01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    haha, you guys havent notice the fall in luster in this game yet? I mean, we can all answer "well its open beta!" and take the google approach for why this game has major issues. It wont be fixed, it is what it is. They patch EXP from foundry before fixing any other issues. Was the foundry breaking the game with exploits? Nope, it wasnt. So what if people were gaining an "advantage" from it, there are 100 other things that break the hell out of this game. Did they "fix" any of it? I dont see this game living longer then its initial "blast" of "oh its finally available!". Just another PWE game that the few hundred wont let go of because they dont want a monthly fee. Pride sucks some times, deal with it.

The game is fun, at first. After about 30 the game starts to fail a little at keeping peoples attention. After 40 the game falls apart. I honestly stopped putting in my time. I do put in an hour here and there ... maybe ... knock out a quest and call it a day. I spent $40 and got a few items ... still nothing worth my time. FFXIV:AAR should be back online soon and im sure most people will be heading back over. Sad, this game had potential.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I wasn't talking to you

Since you very clearly didn't understand what I was talking about, you weren't talking to me, either.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    mostrandomistmostrandomist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Get better companion, let companion do it's thing, if it dies ignore it, use potions to heal yourself, win. The cleric is fine for what she is, but people using her past where level 15 ones are useful is laughable. If you are going to use her later, learn to dodge, avoid the bad, and use potions. She will die, all the time. There are plenty of other companions, use those. I've seen a ton of blue and purple ones on the AH, if you don't want to buy one. When i see the cleric in epic dungeons, i know people will not be the best players, and watch people not even using potions when they are about to die or then complain when they do die.

Yeah because terrible AI is just a feature of the game? You seem to have missed the point of this thread, to bring attention to the ridiculously bad AI of the cleric companion. Ignoring this is not a "fix".
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A few points here:
    1) Yes, there are other companions that one could use. That was acknowledged in the original post. I understand the capping of the initial pets at level 15 and have no issues with that aspect of the game. This is fine.

2) What is not fine is the AI that compels the cleric to commit suicide by running into red boss damage zones.

3) Constantly reviving the cleric companion is not, to me, "fun". When the level designer envisioned the boss fight their storyoboard probably didn't contain the phrase "and then the player revives their cleric!". Yes, the rimehound encounter is winnable (I beat it on my third try, I believe), but it went from "Yeah, I'm gonna kick this giant dog's ***!" to "Oh geez, the cleric is standing in the blast again. Guess I'll knock the dog down and revive her... again..."

This has very little to do with player skill. Adds will jump on the cleric pretty much immediately when they spawn and it takes a lot of threat to drag them off. When adds spawn the first thing I do is hit my daily AOE to try and generate threat and it still doesn't matter. Considering how little damage and healing the cleric does comparative to the player at level 50 it's absurd that they are drawing aggro.

This game is in beta, so bringing up issues like this is, I would think, one of the points of playing the game.
  • Options
    fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think it would be nice if we had an option to set the action for our companions. Something like;
    1. Concentrate on healing
    2. Concentrate on damaging
    3. Concentrate on protecting player
    4. Avoid damage
    5. Aggro mobs
    6. Attack at will
    7. Attack mobs targeted by player
    8. Do nothing.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The AI seems to be the same for all of them, and yes, it would benefit from improvements. Fakatik's idea is an excellent one.

A workaround is to just get a Cat or a Stone. They are the best companions for end game and they are non-combat companions, so they can't die. The advantage of the higher ranked blue/purple companions is that they have better stats, so standing in the red marker isn't as fatal as it is for the cleric. Once the upgrade tomes are available, she will probably be more sturdy too, regardless of the being the way it is.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    kargisterkargister Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Isn't this the same engine as the one they use in STO? The companions in that game never act as suicidal as the cleric does. And they heal as well as deal damage. Cryptic runs both games, maybe they can take a peak at STO and learn from it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gannot wrote: »
    What is not fine is the AI that compels the cleric to commit suicide by running into red boss damage zones.

I almost never have that particular issue -- my Cleric stands back & tries to heal for me, she very rarely ever runs up into combat. Sometimes she does, tho, & the inconsistency itself is maddening.
    Adds will jump on the cleric pretty much immediately when they spawn and it takes a lot of threat to drag them off. When adds spawn the first thing I do is hit my daily AOE to try and generate threat and it still doesn't matter. Considering how little damage and healing the cleric does comparative to the player at level 50 it's absurd that they are drawing aggro.

This is the issue I have, everywhere. It's not as bad in the "overland" zones, & usually I can keep her alive during solo dungeon trash -- or, at least, if she dies to them it's not as big a deal :rolleyes: -- but against 40+ storyline dungeon bosses, it's almost impossible to keep her alive. Scalefather, for example, she dies in seconds flat -- no matter what I do -- because I can't fight adds, heal myself, & stay out of Scalefather's nasty circles all at the same time.
    fakatik wrote: »
    I think it would be nice if we had an option to set the action for our companions.

I agree, but so long as the Cleric companion draws mass aggro, telling her to stay back & concentrate on healing isn't going to solve the issue. Other than that, your idea is excellent.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell