test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The economy destroyed, the aftermath

iamphausiamphaus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Not too long ago Lesser Vorpal enchantments were going between 400k-600k for several days. All of a sudden today there's 4 left priced over 1.5m.
Awesome!
With my tin foil hat on it seems like market control.
Common sense is hard to come by around here it seems..
Post edited by iamphaus on

Comments

• lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    iamphaus wrote: »
    Not too long ago Lesser Vorpal enchantments were going between 400k-600k for several days. All of a sudden today there's 4 left priced over 1.5m.
    Awesome!

Same thing's happening with a bunch of other stuff, and yes indeed we are seeing market control.
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    er.....I wouldn't jump to market control. Namely because we have no clue.

The more likely reason for this is due to a bit of the fallout from the GF exploit. People are buying up highly sought after items (such as that vorpal enchantment) and then posting them back up for obscene prices.

You might say that this ruins the economy.

Well no. Not unless the majority of the community is stupid enough to buy em for that amount, or any other high priced item.

They'll be undercut for sure, over and over again, reaching a stable balance.

I still see Solar armor going for thousands upon thousands of ADs. lmao

I wouldn't worry about it.

Give it a few days and those prices will come down as people undercut the sellers.

noone's gonna pay 1.5mil for that.

Smart people anyway.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eyepatchdudeeyepatchdude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it could also be a way that people who exploited the bug are moving their ill-gotten gains onto mule characters... Sure they have to pay a AH commission.
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013
    iamphaus wrote: »
    Awesome!

a destroyed economy would be a economy in which no money changes hands. . .ever.

People are still buying and selling.

in time the economy will recover. . .it always does. . .
  • castertroyt79castertroyt79 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Just a spike in the economy. If will correct itself in time when supply & demand eventually converges. Economy is never truly destroyed...worst thing that can happen to an economy is an out of control spiral of inflation/deflation. As someone mentions, as long as there are money changing hands, the economy is still there. So please don't preach misguided views...
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've read this "the economy will fix itself" in soooo many games where the ecconomy has been fckd up and it never recovered and only got worse that i'm a bit skeptical now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
    edited May 2013
    The economy will fix itself...just not in a way that you want it to be. Too much currency, economy fix itself by having price inflates to a new level. That is how economy fix itself. Uncontrolled inflation will just continually inflates...the point where it fails is where the currency is no longer used for transaction and a new currency (in any form) is used as a substitution...then the economy "shifts" from the old form of currency to the new form of a more stable currency.
  • kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It will take a bit of time to settle down.

Joining this game at 'release' as a free-to-play person was like moving to Monte Carlo and living in a cardboard box on the streets whilst the founders got to party in the penthouse.

Eventually, founders will spend their cash, and free-to-play people will receive / earn it.

Unfortunately, as it is now, most free-to-play people have to pick money from the streets daily and, as they get invited to the parties, they get to steal luxurious items to fund their lifestyle.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The economy will fix itself...just not in a way that you want it to be. Too much currency, economy fix itself by having price inflates to a new level. That is how economy fix itself. Uncontrolled inflation will just continually inflates...the point where it fails is where the currency is no longer used for transaction and a new currency (in any form) is used as a substitution...then the economy "shifts" from the old form of currency to the new form of a more stable currency.

Maybe, but one thing was done right: the cap of max AD you can make. Granted it's a cap per character, but still, by limiting the introduction of new AD into the system while ensuring that the money sinks are exorbitant, AD is rather much less likely to undergo inflation.
    edited May 2013
    true...as much as I dislike the AD cap, I have to agree that it is a very effective mechanism to control for inflation. However, from a gaming point of view, that means the economy is more focused on drops than crafted items since drops are more superior than crafted items (correct me if I'm wrong, I have no lv20 profession yet). Also, I think the hard cap's ultimate intention was to limit the income of AD not for the sake of economy, but to push players towards buying zen. The benefit it adds to stabalizing the economy is just an externality.

The ultimate goal of a balanced economy in MMO is to have a balanced amount of currency generated per capita vs currency destruction. It does not necessarily has to be a hard cap...though it is an easier solution to implement.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Maybe, but one thing was done right: the cap of max AD you can make. Granted it's a cap per character, but still, by limiting the introduction of new AD into the system while ensuring that the money sinks are exorbitant, AD is rather much less likely to undergo inflation.

Personally, I suspect that the AD will undergo deflation, given that the various sinks seem larger than the inputs (how many people, really, are even going to hit that 24k cap? And certainly not on multiple characters. Until they add more content that generates AD, it just takes too **** long for some of it.)
  • srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The only thing am very suspicious it that people has started trading mainly on gold, everything on gold, and no.. there arent zillions of 5g mounts on ah, all that gold is going somewhere.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    srazy wrote: »
    The only thing am very suspicious it that people has started trading mainly on gold, everything on gold, and no.. there arent zillions of 5g mounts on ah, all that gold is going somewhere.

Yes, it would be going into consumables for the people running T2 dungeons. Other threads have popped up recently, saying "OMG, gold's actually needed!" People are apparently burning through lv60 injury kits & potions at a high rate. Easiest way to get more is to sell a key, or a lv60 purple, to some guy who doesn't realize this yet, for gold.
  • vfieryabyssvvfieryabyssv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With gold, AD and Zen all able to be farmed and sold by farmers i dont think the economy will ever get better. Everything is way over priced and as time goes on it'll become easier and easier for farmers to rake it in and sell very quickly jacking the prices for items even higher. Every time a game has allowed in game currency to be tradeable for real money the economy is terrible. Aside from gold (which sadly seems pretty useless most of the time) everything in this game can be bought in some form or another with real money. This leads to an economy that never stabilizes but fluctuates and spikes constantly with every new influx of zen. Its P2W at its worst
  • tooonetwotooonetwo Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »
    a destroyed economy would be a economy in which no money changes hands. . .ever.

you're absolutely right, but the economy we have now is an elite few control the pricing after the exploiting went on. Most of those items were bought up by players who exploited and soaked up millions upon millions of AD's. They were also buying out similar items to raise the value of their own.

Now the aftermath will be if you want it you need to make them richer and if the value of these items becomes more frequent they will undercut everybody and cash out for huge gains.

With that kind of currency you can move over to the zen exchanger and start influencing that as well. it just isn't healthy when a select few have such a high amount of stock. If those players continue to play this game they will always be the richest players and privy to end game gear as soon as it's released. Chances are they'll be finding future exploits as well because they'll have the best of the best and be running the newer content before the majority of players.
  • tooonetwotooonetwo Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    This leads to an economy that never stabilizes but fluctuates and spikes constantly with every new influx of zen. Its P2W at its worst

This does benefit free to play players though. They can casually grind some AD's and play the zen exchanger and just keep flipping. It's nothing more than percentage profits and projections on the zen exchanger. It is more about waiting it out than having to figure out the perfect ratios... Zen will ALWAYS spike, AD's will ALWAYS spike.
    edited May 2013
    an economy will never truely stabalizes because the factors affecting it is constantly changing.

It is also always the case where a small percentage of elite makes up a large portion of an economy...through being lucky, or hardworking, or smarter than average.
  • s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    an economy will never truely stabalizes because the factors affecting it is constantly changing.

It is also always the case where a small percentage of elite makes up a large portion of an economy...through being lucky, or hardworking, or smarter than average.

You forgot exploiting broken game mechanics in that list, but other than that yeah.
  • chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    One thing I have always noticed is that people always say "The economy will always fix itself" And it never 'fixes itself...ever.

People might undercut, but if you look and see something for 1.5mil...you wanna get that price. If it sells, you might put yours up there for 1.25mil. Someone might undercut you to 1.2mil and maybe down to 1.1mil...but once it dips below 1mil...people will either withhold selling it off until some of them sell (or come down off teh market) and remark it for 1.5mil.

*maybe* just *maybe* is might come down to 800k, but honestly, the person who sets the initial price is also the person that sets the 'standard' in the eyes of those who watch and play the markets.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i never experienced that deflation everyboy was talking about... i dunno...certain items were always cheap while others were always expensive...im looking for a very specific set and that has been always insanely expensive (talking item prices between 5m and 20m) sorry but it would be ridicoulos to pay those prices...thats up to 500 bucks FOR ONE ITEM rofl...crazy
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I posted a voral for four hundred sum thousand buyout yesterday.

It took like 12-16hrs to sell.