test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF the very basics of keeping aggro.

snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
If you are a GF and plan on tanking.

Max the Enhanced Mark class feature skill.
Make sure it's equipped for your group runs.
If you are having issues with threat generation and don't have Enhanced Mark maxed and equipped. It's your own fault, not the games.

Threatening Rush is pretty much a must have At Will, to go with this.
Besides that, know the basics of how marks work (they disappear once you get hit by an unblocked attack)

With just threatening rush + maxed mark passive and some dmg on marked mobs, you will be able to hold most aggro effortlessly.
Snow's Melee Arena: NW-DMT7STJ9E
Combat arena. Adjustable challenge.
Difficulty: Adjustable easy - very hard
Duration: Adjustable 1 - 25min
Post edited by snowballo on

Comments

• Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    snowballo wrote: »
    If you are a GF and plan on tanking.

Max the Enhanced Mark class feature skill.
    Make sure it's equipped for your group runs.
    If you are having issues with threat generation and don't have Enhanced Mark maxed and equipped. It's your own fault, not the games.

Threatening Rush is pretty much a must have At Will, to go with this.
    Besides that, know the basics of how marks work (they disappear once you get hit by an unblocked attack)

With just threatening rush + maxed mark passive and some dmg on marked mobs, you will be able to hold most aggro effortlessly.

In T1 dungeons yes , in T 2 forget about it .
  • Options
    flowsharianflowsharian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    You do understand how difficult it is to hit mobs while blocking that are ranged and running all around right? Including the fact that we can't move fast, and have to keep track of moving out of incoming ground attacks...and getting hit from behind from stupid *** imps, etc etc, not so simple, especially if you do not have a 5 man group always at your beck and call that sync's well... pugs are a roll your face on the keyboard -fest.
  • Options
    diekaodiekao Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please tell us more about how you totally hold aggro in T1 dungeons.

Sorry, but noone doing T2 will take you seriously, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Snowballo your are so clueless...

I hope your speced for Conq otherwise have fun donating to PWE assuming you want to play anything beyond T1
  • Options
    snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why don't you guys get back into the troll bus and ride along to wherever you were going before you made a stop over here.

I see GFs all over the place complaining about aggro pre and at lvl 60, which is where the basics come in.

And as for the T2 comments, maybe you guys should actually get the gear needed to be of value to your group, before you go there and complain how your 8k GS doesn't work out in T2
  • Options
    maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am 60, 13k GS conquer build have all my threat passive, etc... still can't keep agro from healers.

my fault this threat system sucks? no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Get the gear?

I have the following:
    Level 60 GF Tactics - Halfling:
    51.9% mitigation
    24.7% deflect
    31% bonus Block from gear, feats, and stats
    100% purple (except pants)

Gear is not the issue... Broken meta is the issue.

Can I hold threat kinda... can I protect my cleric from 40+ adds hell no! Can i hold threat of a TR or CW with over 10k gear score NO!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    GF have only 1 viable build Conq... if your now Conq (DPS) your screwed... pay your respec fee to play DPS or reroll.
  • Options
    supp1shsupp1sh Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    this is true till epic dungeons. and the effortless part lol it takes all my attention and focus to keep aggro off the healer. though i did manage to kill the pirate king today with a group of one of each class and we only lost control of mobs once and immediately got it back. me and a GWF kept all adds aggro entire fight except for archers which we ignored. it's possible but shouldnt be forcing me into only one spec in order to be effective. which is what the game is doing to the fighters at the moment
    MAKE MARK HIT ENEMY AND ALL ENEMIES AROUND IT.
    MAKE THREATENING RUSH A 2-3 SECOND TAUNT THAT STILL MARKS THE SAME WAY.
    REMOVE HEALING AGGRO.
  • Options
    leomutretaleomutreta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We cannot affect more than 5 mobs with our encounter powers, heck, some can even affect only 3, and final bosses on T2 dungeons spawn much more adds than we can affect. Its impossible for the cleric to stay alive if the DPS is not humongously high to kill everything blazing fast.
    Thats why people are double clericing T2s.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Our skills might not affect more than 5 targets, but we can have aggro of more than 5 targets at once.

I don't feel like going into deep discussion with the forum warriors here, so I'm not going to explain how that would work.
    If you can't figure it out for yourself, well too bad for you, keep on crying, quitting or trying or whatever it is you guys do.

If all this whining ends up buffing the class to the point where it becomes press 2 buttons hold aggro forever. I might have to re-roll.
  • Options
    datsebhaeldatsebhael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your advise is solid, and would work great - if PW would fix GF to actually maybe...uh...idk, work?

I'm sorry, I was in a level appropriate dungeon tonight (I think it's called Mad Dragon Lair?). We had 2 Mages, 1 GWF, 1 Cleric, and me as a GF. We got to P2 when the melee adds spawn, and we started talking about how we were going to handle those new adds, and we put a plan in motion.

I tried, everything possible to get aggro off our cleric. I spent the majority of P1 marking/tagging the boss, and force aggroing him with our challenge spell. Then sat around dodging AoE/dodgable mechanics. We already stated that the add mages in P1+ would just be focused down by the DPS - so they weren't focused by me. But the second those melee adds spawned - they were instantly hooked on my buddy.

We even went as far as to have our Cleric not heal when they spawned for a bit, then I could mark and AoE taunt - I even blew my daily spell that increases my over-all DPS (to increase personal aggro). They still instantly fixated on my cleric the second he started healing.

If you're going to tell me that marking, diving in and bashing the hell out of their faces, and casting my AoE taunt off CD is bad tanking. Then you're so **** naive.

PW needs to fix aggro issues with GF before it becomes a dying class. It's highly viable, sure - but at the same time - I've been reading these forums for a bit as a quiet stalker for a week or so - and I completely understand the outrage. I'm not asking for your traditional MMO tanking mechanics, but I shouldn't suffer from having all DPS and HPS STOP FOR A BIT, then still proceed to take aggro off me.

The ****ing game is broken, and PW needs to fix the aggro issues. If they don't, then I'll just simply uninstall and go back to another MMO where mechanics actually work. It won't matter to you, or the next average joe - but trust me PW, I have a handful of lockboxes in my bank that I'd love to pop open - but you're not getting a dime from me until you fix classes, specifically the one I and many others want to play, to be useful.

--edit;
    Doing a quick edit for some last minute mentions, since OP is so **** great at tanking in this game.

The tanking in this game doesn't need to be brought to a point where it's just "two buttons" as he says. But our ******* threat builders should be at least predictable. There's a skill separation point where your GF starts the fight between tabbing or just attacking.

If current GF's are tabbing their high-priority target, then diving in and doing an AoE taunt prior to the DPS even being near you. Then that's a sufficient high-end strategy to start establishing proper threat towards yourself. Yet, the game still allows for other players to come in 5-10s after this and take aggro from you. That's called broken, and if you're so awesome that this doesn't happen to you - please, by all means record your run through a dungeon and show us - instead of thinking you're doing great and bragging about it without proof on the forums. Maybe then I can try to think of whatever crazy method you're running to actually maintain aggro, on even new adds, and maybe properly use GF like you.

I envy you for being such a naive pro.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    datsebhael wrote: »
    Mad Dragon dungeon

You really need lvl 35 for MD to work as a tank, due to how the end boss is designed.
    Without threatening rush at will, tanking the adds really isn't going to work.

If you however had threatening rush by then already, you just gonna have to practice with it more as it really can keep a huge number of adds on you, to the point where aggro is not the problem, but what you actually gonna do with that aggro.
  • Options
    datsebhaeldatsebhael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You really need lvl 35 for MD to work as a tank, due to how the end boss is designed.
    Without threatening rush at will, tanking the adds really isn't going to work.

If you however had threatening rush by then already, you just gonna have to practice with it more as it really can keep a huge number of adds on you, to the point where aggro is not the problem, but what you actually gonna do with that aggro.

Don't you dare respond to me with logic! How irrational! (btw, sorry for sounding like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> above, it's just I'm kinda frustrated myself, I was yelling like my Rift guildmates of a year never heard tonight and it's bleeding out since they haven't tried GF yet).

Idk, the level 35 buff into MD seems great and I've already stated that it's something that should be highly beneficial for my tanking ability. At the same time, is it not a broken mechanic to increase the difficulty without giving the tools required to achieve the goal prior? If MD is such a high requirement for end game content (which I obviously planned to spec into MD, as it's important to me to mark every **** thing possible). Why isn't this level 32 dungeon still basic? As it stands, it just throws this bone of uselessness to new players about their class.

I've been reading the forums about everything regarding level 60 dungeons, and tonight I actually felt it. I surely feel like a boss solo though, pulling 10x mobs just to get the grind done with and getting to the next step of my questing progress no issue - but then again, tonight I felt useless in my dungeon. The only thing I did was semi-direct the flow of AoE/channeled abilities in a specific area. The adds came though, and I could do NOTHING about it. I literally dropped the boss, and focused on the adds as much as I could - and they still went off towards our cleric.

I don't know, it's all just something that's bothering me and I don't know how to react to it. NW isn't my first MMO. I'm a 8/9 current content raider in RIFT, and I've played a lot of other MMOs for end game, and this is the most I've been slapped in the face trying to play my role before. I still think PW has a lot to fix. Granted, healers should still have aggro - but it should be solely mitigated by a GF, though maybe not a GWF.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, MD really is out of its place at the lvl they present it to you.
    If it came as the dungeon after, it would be a lot better, as the players would have the needed tools for sure by then.
    Although, once you are past MD, things get a lot smoother again.

Your choice of dropping the aggro on the dragon completely and focus on adds was the correct one, although without threatening rush I can imagine how you must have felt.
    The dragon itself really only does serious dmg with its skills which all have huge red fields and semi long casting times, so it doesn't matter who has the aggro on him.

Believe it or not, once you do have the skill to keep the aggro on the adds and everyone works together killing them and protecting the healer, the fight is actually very fun with a lvl 35ish party.
  • Options
    imobiusimobius Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Good idea! Lets ruin all versatility in this game by limiting them to a single build to be viable, wich they aren't even with it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Right.
    Because taking the 2 main aggro skills for tanking of which one is a passive and other an at will, thus leaving anything else free to your own choice is ruining the game.
  • Options
    supp1shsupp1sh Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    Right.
    Because taking the 2 main aggro skills for tanking of which one is a passive and other an at will, thus leaving anything else free to your own choice is ruining the game.

we wouldn't have to do this if they bothered to re-look at threat. also the fact GFs are further forced into conqueror spec. we can mess with only two encounters. and even one of those has to be arguably frontline surge, though not required like enhanced mark, combat superiority, cleave, threatening rush, and enforced threat...aka 5 out of the seven skills. and dailies are pretty much always villains menace (anti stun, required) and fighter's recovery (heal)

so 6 out of 9 of our choices are forced, with the remaining 3 very limited in useful selection. yeah not good
    MAKE MARK HIT ENEMY AND ALL ENEMIES AROUND IT.
    MAKE THREATENING RUSH A 2-3 SECOND TAUNT THAT STILL MARKS THE SAME WAY.
    REMOVE HEALING AGGRO.
  • Options
    dietaryfiber111dietaryfiber111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Remember that one tank who was able to hold threat on all the adds in the final boss of Frozen Heart?

Neither do I!
  • Options
    kllrkeykllrkey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    something I Have noticed is that most clerics dont go for any of the threat reductions offered to them
  • Options
    supersaiyansonsupersaiyanson Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    I am 60, 13k GS conquer build have all my threat passive, etc... still can't keep agro from healers.

my fault this threat system sucks? no.

Your friends must be really nice, feel sorry for you, or you're rich for buying all those gear to get 13k GS cause you're doing it wrong if you got any of the threat passive. I'm guessing you also tank all the adds during the boss fights too right?

Ya sure we can do T2 runs but you're just slowing down the group.
  • Options
    sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Go dps gf -> outdps everyone -> get aggro -> profit.