test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What about legit reasons for AFK? (bathroom, phone calls, emergencies etc)

blazingfistblazingfist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I queue to PvP. I join and get a phone call (work related, so I can't not answer - I work from home BTW) I understandably have to AFK and say so.

One of my teammates reports me and when I try to explain says "then don't PvP". Yeah well, I didn't know I would get the call before.

Calls aside, sometimes you are PvPing and things happen, and you have to AFK for legitimate reasons. I've seen this myself, on both sides of the team. Thing is that because of all the AFK abuse, now people are angry (quite rightly actually) about ANY kind of AFKing.

This is a sorry state of affairs on all sides. :( (except maybe PWE who are laughing their way to the bank?)
Post edited by blazingfist on

Comments

• Options
    gillityrgillityr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    A PVP match is fairly short. It is a defined time period. You shouldn't be there if you can't dedicate your time to the match.

A dungeon can be longer, and you know ahead of time. Therefore, you should not be AFK there either.

The only acceptable reasons for AFK are those that are unexpected (such as a spontaneous fire breaking out in your kitchen).

Entering a match while knowing full well you may have to go afk? That is a selfish move. You are expecting the other 4 people on your TEAM to just die and lose because you were too selfish to dedicate your efforts. This isn't single-player. There is no pause.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Life happens. If that makes you get an AFK penalty, so what? I am not even sure what the penalty is (kicked from that match? Banned from pvp for an hour? ) but it probably is not too steep. Its just a game, and you can try again soon.... as for the match you were in, if you were not contributing, you deserved it, even if IRL issue came up, you still let your team down.
  • Options
    fargardfargard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Currently there isn't any punishment for the AFKer except he has to leave the battle. Just queue again and bam, next match is right there for you.

What should be done is adding additional people after AFKer(s) got kicked though.
  • Options
    majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    I queue to PvP. I join and get a phone call (work related, so I can't not answer - I work from home BTW) I understandably have to AFK and say so.

One of my teammates reports me and when I try to explain says "then don't PvP". Yeah well, I didn't know I would get the call before.

Calls aside, sometimes you are PvPing and things happen, and you have to AFK for legitimate reasons. I've seen this myself, on both sides of the team. Thing is that because of all the AFK abuse, now people are angry (quite rightly actually) about ANY kind of AFKing.

This is a sorry state of affairs on all sides. :( (except maybe PWE who are laughing their way to the bank?)

This is why you don't join a PvP during your work hours, especially when you ruin other people's games.
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Bull****, get off your high horses. I recently got kicked from a match because I was afk for 30seconds. yeah, it was timed, because I had a phone call and wrote a number down, the phone call was timed at 27 seconds. Hung up and started playing again. Got to the middle pillar and was capping it when I got booted. THAT is some craptacular incentive to keep playing. If you think someone afking for under a minute during a whole match is bad, please by all means send me an ingame mail so I can add you to my ignore list. I'd rather not group with your elitest attitude.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    grndmastergrndmaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morvek01 wrote: »
    Bull****, get off your high horses. I recently got kicked from a match because I was afk for 30seconds. yeah, it was timed, because I had a phone call and wrote a number down, the phone call was timed at 27 seconds. Hung up and started playing again. Got to the middle pillar and was capping it when I got booted. THAT is some craptacular incentive to keep playing. If you think someone afking for under a minute during a whole match is bad, please by all means send me an ingame mail so I can add you to my ignore list. I'd rather not group with your elitest attitude.

Sounds to me like you probably got kicked by the leader rather than booted by the afk system. 1 person having all the power in a pug is pretty rediculous. I've seen several leaders kick any player thats actually trying, because they want to end the match as fast as possible. There are also some leaders that kick people they see afk, which i have no problem with. PVP is short, if you cant dedicate the time for that, you shouldnt have joined. Not like you cant requeue and be in a new match within a minute
  • Options
    selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    How many times havent i had the "i had to put my 4 year old daughter/son to sleep"..../kick
  • Options
    majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    morvek01 wrote: »

I bet you went afk for more than 30 seconds, you need to stop lying dude. I've seen people running to middle and afking a lot, you're probably one of them. Good to know you got kicked.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as PvP goes...the polite thing at the moment seems to be leaving the group after stating you need to go AFK and leaving them a man down versus going AFK and staying in group/pvp instance.
  • Options
    rayuki666rayuki666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013

UMMM get a headset?

i work in a CALLCENTER and play at work all the time, mainly pvp. i still manage to top the ranks most times so if you can't dedicate yourself to pvp then don't que?

but i agree on one part, the timer is stupidly short. i actually got kicked from a game along with 2 others recently for "afking" at middle cap when we were <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and hadn't had anyone bother to come and fight us for 30secs. boom... kicked.
  • Options
    blazingfistblazingfist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems like the PvPing elitist mindset is everywhere and there is no room for casuals in PvP anymore. :(

I agree with the one poster who stated he got kicked for AFKing less than 30 seconds...as to not queueing during work hours? No such thing. I don't know when a client may call, and when he/she does, I am going to devote all my time and attention to him/her and not the game. Does this mean I shouldn't PvP AT ALL, anytime? I'm not going to restrict myself like that. I have a right to play the game and all it's aspects just like any others.

Anyway this is going nowhere. At least I know what is the general consensus in Neverwinter. If things are going to be like this then I doubt I will PvP or group anymore.
  • Options
    izoldaizolda Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your house on fire, your mom has heart attack.

Bathroom or phone is not an excuse. When you in the middle of the battle defending your friend (i'm talking real war) Do you say "I gotta take a dump, brb" It's childish.

If you too busy to talk with your girl friend else she leave you, then don't play game at all. Not saying this is your reason, but you get my point. I mean, do you do that when you in a middle of a basketball game?

Especially PVP! i would feel sorry for those you left behind. In MOBA that is a heavy offense.
  • Options
    kardosakujikardosakuji Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, I have to agree that the elitism I am seeing here is ridiculous; the general consensus here is actually quite sickening. People have different priorities, and just because some do not prioritize their video games as if their lives depended on it does not mean they are not allowed to play the same games as you. Even if people do prioritize their games above all else, stuff happens. There is no guaranteed 15 uneventful minutes in life aside for any 15 uneventful minutes that have already passed.
    izolda wrote: »

Bathroom or phone is not an excuse. When you in the middle of the battle defending your friend (i'm talking real war) Do you say "I gotta take a dump, brb" It's childish.

If you too busy to talk with your girl friend else she leave you, then don't play game at all. Not saying this is your reason, but you get my point.

Did you just compare handling natural bodily functions during a real life-or-death war to handling the situation in a video game? It's rather ironic that you call your example childish as I find comparing the urgency of a real war to an average 15 minute MMO PvP match is the most childish thing that has been stated in this thread, and quite likely at the top of the most childish comments made on this entire forum.

Some people have legitimate health issues. Some people work important jobs where they have to be on 24/7 call, which is not that uncommon for people that handle emergency situations such as doctors, firefighters, etc. Some people enjoy video games while simply having higher priorities in their life. Are you people honestly stating that anyone that may have to get out of their seat for even 30 seconds is not allowed to play the same video games as you, even if it's because they have real-life issues or because they dedicate their lives to something more important than getting the top score in a video game? I am truly enjoying this game, but the overall attitude I am seeing from most of the population in-game and on these forums is making me honestly question whether or not it's worth playing with this community.
  • Options
    ryftlordryftlord Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    izolda wrote: »

If you too busy to talk with your girl friend else she leave you, then don't play game at all. Not saying this is your reason, but you get my point. I mean, do you do that when you in a middle of a basketball game?

Especially PVP! i would feel sorry for those you left behind. In MOBA that is a heavy offense.

Hard to say whether you posted without thinking or just didn't read what you posted. Either way you aren't sounding too convincing
    Ja'kreen - "The Laughing Vulcan"
    Mirror Ja'kreen
    X'Tem
    Active RPer