test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My thoughs on the game so far

theopttheopt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Well I loved all the concept of D&D that has been applied to this game but there are some issues that need to be fixed ASAP imo.

First of all its the tanking issue, or maybe no tanking at all. Atm guardians are useless and there is no way to tank in bosses. Getting 2 clerics and setting a dps to kite the boss is much easier.

Then I feel there is no DR in spells on pvp and that sucks.

Some ui improvements about the target stun/snare time would be great, at least I didnt found them on ui settings.

Hope I dont have to go to RIFT once it gets f2p :x cause i was loving the game so far, but its all up to devs.
Post edited by theopt on

Comments

• zeldainkneehighszeldainkneehighs Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As I leveled up my Guardian Fighter, tanking became much easier and much better. Give it time.

Other than that...ya. The UI sucks. The boss fights are all the same for the most part. The kiting hasn't changed. The players at 60 are just as clueless as the players at level 15. The loot sucks for most dungeons. I mean, if you want my opinion...find a way to farm AD and don't even do dungeons unless you're in a premade group with friends. They are pretty bad otherwise.
  • fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As I leveled up my Guardian Fighter, tanking became much easier and much better. Give it time.

Are we playing the same Neverwinter Online game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeldainkneehighszeldainkneehighs Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe so. I right click, hold shift, I can press q>e>r>1>2, I can use potions, I see red circles on the ground and move out of them, oh....and I can left click, too! Trust me, it gets easier. The game is still pretty bad though.
  • theopttheopt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just feel that they dont have much time to gather enough ppl to support the game. RIFT will be a major competition once it gets F2P because its the closest to WoW there is.
  • perkyzombieperkyzombie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like better AI on the mobs, not really finding the combat hugely entertaining. Overly simplistic, I do however like the active dodging, but with just a few moves active... ehh it's boring. This kind of combat feels like a console game, ironic there's just enough combat stuff to fit a gamepad... well console games, if I still played them, last me a week or two.

Mob placement and zone designs, I know it's a Theme park game but talk about linear.
    Draw a grid and x, x, x the encounters (pen and paper innuendo), similarly the quests style is stereotypical MMO which is at least one of: kill X, retrieve Y or save Z. Nothing new here, no reason I want to get into another game and collect purple <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

There is no decision and consequence, the game is entirely linear. At best the quests are static D&D adventures. I have enough accounts on other games that offer static quests and far more challenging game play. WOW vanilla and AOC were hard enough when they came out (etc..), but to get through the game content in a couple of weeks... yeah I see your store works well and the plethora of various currencies. What does that economy have to do with anything related to D&D?

Speaking of other monetary aspects that permeate through to my gaming experience and make me think, "yup tried it, I'm done". Those stupid lock boxes with purple text ... that kind of cash grab really sickens me. The only reason why it's not real gambling is that you'll never win back the really money you just spent. Is this game 18A, it should be just for those lock boxes. Second pay to win is the crafting.

Final complaint is the graphics, first time I loaded in I thought, "wow, fable... <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>". So this is what it's like to play alliance in wow (haha). I'm guessing some of the graphic restrictions are due to Foundry, but for me, this is Disney does D&D. Mind you that change really started when TSR went to Wizards. Personally, I'd prefer blood and grit over flashing lights and fairy auras. Hmm, now that I think of AOC, graphically it beats this game by the women alone, even if we're listening to their lamentations! LOL.

This game feels like a blockbuster movie, in that it has many aspects of the successful MMO's, but what makes it different and better? Other than its new.

That's my perspective. Make the game way harder, more interesting combat and branch questing. Apologies, if I'm being too negative, I really wanted to like this game.
  • theopttheopt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like better AI on the mobs, not really finding the combat hugely entertaining. Overly simplistic, I do however like the active dodging, but with just a few moves active... ehh it's boring. This kind of combat feels like a console game, ironic there's just enough combat stuff to fit a gamepad... well console games, if I still played them, last me a week or two.

Mob placement and zone designs, I know it's a Theme park game but talk about linear.
    Draw a grid and x, x, x the encounters (pen and paper innuendo), similarly the quests style is stereotypical MMO which is at least one of: kill X, retrieve Y or save Z. Nothing new here, no reason I want to get into another game and collect purple <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

There is no decision and consequence, the game is entirely linear. At best the quests are static D&D adventures. I have enough accounts on other games that offer static quests and far more challenging game play. WOW vanilla and AOC were hard enough when they came out (etc..), but to get through the game content in a couple of weeks... yeah I see your store works well and the plethora of various currencies. What does that economy have to do with anything related to D&D?

Speaking of other monetary aspects that permeate through to my gaming experience and make me think, "yup tried it, I'm done". Those stupid lock boxes with purple text ... that kind of cash grab really sickens me. The only reason why it's not real gambling is that you'll never win back the really money you just spent. Is this game 18A, it should be just for those lock boxes. Second pay to win is the crafting.

Final complaint is the graphics, first time I loaded in I thought, "wow, fable... <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>". So this is what it's like to play alliance in wow (haha). I'm guessing some of the graphic restrictions are due to Foundry, but for me, this is Disney does D&D. Mind you that change really started when TSR went to Wizards. Personally, I'd prefer blood and grit over flashing lights and fairy auras. Hmm, now that I think of AOC, graphically it beats this game by the women alone, even if we're listening to their lamentations! LOL.

This game feels like a blockbuster movie, in that it has many aspects of the successful MMO's, but what makes it different and better? Other than its new.

That's my perspective. Make the game way harder, more interesting combat and branch questing. Apologies, if I'm being too negative, I really wanted to like this game.

I agree with you.
  • lygerxlygerx Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2013
    i totally agree with perky zombie
  • donorodonoro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    100% agreement. Thanks for saying it for us.
  • amajedamajed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well , I will start from the beginning.

the leveling part, well , its fun , stories and stuff , going around and all of that is cool, but the problem is the part where you start been a low level compared to the quest/mobs , even if u played dungeons and skirmish , you will still be far behind (around 20 to 30)
    this happend to me twice on a GF and DC , both when I reached 20 the quests are already for a 24 level character , even tho I played every kind of dungeons and skirmish with the quest given for me. I don't mind a twice the time of the current leveling course , just don't cut me off and I start to do the same daily over and over (its so boring to do the same thing 10 times just to catch up with the next quest levels)

make it longer I don't mind , just have it moved in a right way (btw I do have gain exp enchants equipped)

after finally getting to the 60 level and start farming T1 then T2 , well , the problem is your play style is changed , cause you were playing solo ,now you are with group , the old Feats/powers are no longer the best for the team , and you need to change them
    I need more than 120k to change the feats alone!
    everyone needs to test the new way of feats , reading them is never enough! you have to test them in real instance more than once! but every change will cost 120K AD or a reset token is just too much!
    even when a patch hits and nerfs something or buff something else! you will need to reset Feats again for it! thats just sucks!
    I'm not saying it should be all free! but 120K AD is not really making this game a "Free to Play"
    more like "move the character for free , for anything else there's mastercard"

finally, I have a friend who got banned cause he was in a group that pulled the boss to an area where he got stuck there and killed easily.

it was a queue match , with one friend with him and none of them pulled the boss (or even know about that bug)
    and when the boss died after wards only one got banned for 72 hours, the other friend was lucky enough I guess.

I agree that who ever exploit a bug should be banned in any game ! 100% right!
    but this game doesn't count for a real amount of good reasons!

1- its still on Beta!
    2- this game full of bugs ! some times you just walk minding your own business and surprise! you bugged a mob
    3- you can't blame one guy or even multi players for a bug been used, only the one who actully used it and he intended to use it should be punished! the others should not be punished and they are not forced to leave the dungeon cause some1 is exploiting a bug, you made a Delves an event so I'm not ready to leave the group and forget about the reward just because there's some1 exploiting a bug, I will get my reward , and you can ban that player for what ever amount of days you wanted. just don't think I will leave that chest without collecting it.

Remember! this is Beta , a beta full of bugs! don't ban innocent players when the real problem is the game it self....

I did not mention the Tank part or the AI of the mobs . some good posts up there was more than enough ;)

Thanks for reading this , sorry about my English, hope you have a good day :)
  • khitch25khitch25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    I am amazed that someone bashes the graphics. Personally I kind of like them, in particular most of the armour and character models look good in my opinion. In terms of the game being fun or not fun to level ... ive played WAR/WoW/Rift and I actually preferred this solo pve here, that said once I got to level20 I stopped pve'ing all together, because as Bruce Lee said once "Boards dont hit back" So yeah I kind of expect pve it to boring, its what the word means to me. The PvP has actually been fun so far, but maybe thats just because its new. In a few months if I am still having fun with the PvP I guess that will means its good (for me subjectively). In general though I am unsure which games that fall into the MMO genre which actually do the pve leveling zone thing more satisfactorily.