test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon bosses

sol8sol8 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Every boss is the same. One giant monster standing around throwing things while dozens of adds swarm the party. There's no strategy involved. If you have AoE, just group them all up. If you don't have AoE, stay on the boss until it dies.

Is this going to change?
Post edited by sol8 on

Comments

• incentivemusicincentivemusic Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not necessarily sure that is true about every dungeon boss. Are you referring to the solo quests or the party dungeons? The MD requires quite a bit of strategy.
  • f3ral0nef3ral0ne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    I love the trivialized way he describes doing bosses. Easily can tell he is getting carried by the group if he think it is either Option A or Option B.
  • oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    The dungeons are boring:

- Far too much trash
    - Almost every boss fight is the same: deal with a billion adds
    - As a cleric, every fight is "kite the adds"

There is so little variety, and so, so much trash, I can't imagine staying interested in this for long. For reference, I've completed most of the T2's as a solo healer. I'm not enjoying it much, though.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You obviously have not fought Chartilifax, pretty much impossible. Worst dungeon I have ever played.
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    f3ral0ne wrote: »
    I love the trivialized way he describes doing bosses. Easily can tell he is getting carried by the group if he think it is either Option A or Option B.

but he's right (at least for normals).

i've done every dungeon on normal from cloaked tower 'til the pirate king. every single boss has been EXACTLY the same:

- boss stands around or moves; uses AoE attacks
    - summons swarms of adds that the cleric has to immediately start kiting or they die
    - kill adds, rinse and repeat
  • drezekialdrezekial Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every post about dungeon bosses are the exact same. Someone points out the obvious, then the next post is usually someone challenging the first post, then it's followed by a ton of people agreeing with the OP.

So what's the verdict? Dungeon bosses are boring and suck.

I just did Lair of the Mad Dragon for the first time, and if that's pretty much how every boss is going to be from here on out, I will prob just quit the game if it's not changed by the time I get to lv60.
  • oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    drezekial wrote: »
    I just did Lair of the Mad Dragon for the first time, and if that's pretty much how every boss is going to be from here on out, I will prob just quit the game if it's not changed by the time I get to lv60.

That's pretty much it - it doesn't really change in elites. It's tedious.

The game is quite young, and it has tons of potential. It just has terrible boss fights.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • forumspiritbxforumspiritbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the game has a lazy engine or something, bosses are really just bigger versions of other things with 200 times the HP, and adds spawn in like crazy. it doesnt make sense in a gameplay standpoint nor does it even make sense on an RP standpoint, if the bad guy has so much powerful enemies, why not use it instead of keep 500 adds hidden away near where you sleep.
  • tttsssrrr1tttsssrrr1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I ran a table top game where I had 16 ogres chasing the cleric and made 16 attacks each round against them, I don't think anyone would think I was a good game master. Then if the next fight involved 16 undead pirates, that would pretty much remove any doubt. That sort of sums up my feelings towards Cryptic and this game. I've been running T2 for the last week with a mixture of success and failure and today, I just couldn't take it any longer. There was no satisfaction in victory; no disappointment in defeat. It was just the dull haze of tedious repetition... astral shield, sunburst x2; hallowed ground. Dodge and Run constantly. Repeat.
  • tttsssrrr1tttsssrrr1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drezekial wrote: »
    Every post about dungeon bosses are the exact same. Someone points out the obvious, then the next post is usually someone challenging the first post, then it's followed by a ton of people agreeing with the OP.

So what's the verdict? Dungeon bosses are boring and suck.

Dungeon bosses are boring and suck. They are clearly intended as a substitute for the fact that this game released with no other form of end game challenge.
  • drekorsilverfangdrekorsilverfang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a cleric...

what's a boss? and can someone get this swarm of **** off me!?
  • diedel443diedel443 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tttsssrrr1 wrote: »
    Dungeon bosses are boring and suck. They are clearly intended as a substitute for the fact that this game released with no other form of end game challenge.

This is not even restricted to dungeon bosses, basically every boss in the game is like this, every solo, skirmish and dungeon boss fight is a boring boss with unlimited adds.
  • zeldainkneehighszeldainkneehighs Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every solo quest-line ends with a fight that involves: Spawn adds at a certain % of hp or Spawn adds at a certain time during the fight. Every dungeon also has that script. The mobs that are spawned and abilities used by them change depending on the dungeon/"map" you are questing in.

It was a real winning concept thought up by a great group of designers. It was so great that they just added either of those two scripts to every boss fight in the game.

PS: I found another one, the mob splits at a % of hp and the mobs spawn with that amount of health. IT WAS ALMOST LIKE PROPHET FROM AQ40 EXCEPT THEY WEREN'T BUGS