test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Y U NO Kill Adds?

jester3993jester3993 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
From what I've seen so far, it's pretty hilarious. As a former healer gone wizard for this game, I have a soft spot in my heart for those who choose the healer role. It's not an easy one, and even more so in this game with the aggro issues.

Most runs are like this....

The rogue gets the first hit because they feel the need to stay in the #1 spot for most damage done.
The tank might manage to hold aggro until someone starts taking damage.
The cleric throws out ONE tiny heal--BOOM the entire room of adds flock to the cleric.
The wizard tries to slow the angry mobs, but more mobs are jumping out of trees with the cleric's name as a war-cry.
The tank keeps trying to grab aggro back, but ends up just running around looking silly.

...all the while the rest of the group is oblivious to everything else and keeps wailing away on the boss.

Working as intended? Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining, but surely this isn't what the devs had in mind for a typical boss fight.
Post edited by jester3993 on

Comments

• chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where is the GWF in this scenario? It's his job to keep the adds off the cleric.
    @Powerblast in game
  • sanmercisanmerci Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    Where is the GWF in this scenario? It's his job to keep the adds off the cleric.

And he does this how? With halitosis and strong language?
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They had nothing in mind for the copy pasted boss fights.

There are no boss fights, it's all about much extra trash they can throw at you.

No interesting boss mechanics at all, not solo content, not in dungeons, nowhere.
  • majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    I end up healing myself and running around tanking the mobs while my team kills the boss. Even in groups with many CWs, I have to do this because idiots don't know what they're supposed to. Help your cleric push the mobs out of the way at least if you're going to focus on the boss.

Although, I actually had a good group today. The GF in my team held aggro most of the time and team helped CC and stuff.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They had nothing in mind for the copy pasted boss fights.

There are no boss fights, it's all about much extra trash they can throw at you.

No interesting boss mechanics at all, not solo content, not in dungeons, nowhere.

Except this has nothing to do with that, it's about people ignoring the adds to dps the boss.
    The wizard tries to slow the angry mobs, but more mobs are jumping out of trees with the cleric's name as a war-cry.

Every time i run a dungeon, i stop focusing on the boss when the adds come out, and i'm the only one it seems. So they all decide to come at me, while everyone else still attacks the boss, and the ones that spawn more at points, then do so, which all come after me. Ugh... What's even more annoying is when they decide to loot while the adds are still there and carefully stand around comparing stats. Hate. That.

When people do get the adds, i feel so grateful, but it's so rare.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sanmerci wrote: »
    And he does this how? With halitosis and strong language?

No with AOE melee attacks staying close to the cleric and pretending he's a half-orc (or human) lawn mower, and making good use of the Slam Daily.
    @Powerblast in game
  • asimusasimus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i got called a **** TR this morning because i wasnt attacking the boss. there were a million adds on screen and cleric was suffering so i spent my whole time add killing because noone else was. had to laugh when end scores came up and i beat everyone by 600k dps.
  • jester3993jester3993 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

To be honest, I haven't had one in my group yet. Either hardly anyone is playing them or they're running in static groups.
  • thekaras1982thekaras1982 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013

I was gonna say the group leader kicked them out of the party. >.>
    Yes, I play a Great Weapon Fighter, and I tend to keep it that way ... till the Ranger or Monk comes in. :)
  • dadeleviathandadeleviathan Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    They've said a few times that class balance, especially where aggro is concerned, is on their list of issues that they need to address.

They have not, however, said when said issue will be placed upon the dev's platter of issues to fix.
  • kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like the OP I also have switched from my main DC to my alt CW and feel for the DC players. I can tell you one thing, as a new CW I don't see near the add swarm even if I do spam AOE's like I did with my DC.
  • silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How annoying this is. I was in one dungeon when the GF told everyone to not worry about the adds and just kill the boss. That's great and all but WTH?!? The adds are coming after me! I spent the whole time kiting and throwing AS at whatever was near me, while the GF is yelling at me not to worry about the adds. Yeah, ok. He wasn't the one being chased and looked at like a piece of meat. D:
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • devlinnedevlinne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi there, i'm a 60 tr...and i also notice the unatural aggro from cleric. I'm one of those that do dungeouns etc simply for daily...so the only thing that matters to me is completing the instance....That said. I always "volunteer" to stand beside the cleric and my sole purpose is to get the adds off the cleric....

HOWEVER.....

I throw smoke bomb to daze the adds, path of blades to constantly hit them, use my bait and switch to trick them off the cleric.....WHY ARE THEY STILL CHASING HER??? It's like they won't stop,can't stop till the cleric is dead regardless of however many i hit or kill.
    It's not my damage...there isn't anything non purple or blue on me.....-__-
    PITY,REGRET, AND MERCY are just EXCUSES for the strong not to kill the weak!
  • spodeanspodean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a CW I think it is my duty to protect the cleric, we are the best at it, unfortunately many do not think as I.

The majority of the map I go from add to add, stunning the big guys and clearing the trash.

It usually works well.
  • hardpeck1hardpeck1 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    My 60 wizard was first.

My 60 cleric got 60 last night.

Both are 10k GS.

Honestly, it's not hard to tank/kite the adds and it makes bosses much easier to kill.

I have already run multiple T2's as a healer (and run all of them as a wizard). I heal the group, tank/kite the adds while they kill the boss.

Once boss is dead we kill adds, or if we are lazy, we wipe, let adds despawn, then continue on.

Adds are coming non stop. You have very little time between add spawns, and that's if you are killing them almost instantly, if you aren't then you will have all your DPS killing adds the whole time - making the fight 10 times longer than it needs to be.

And tanks? what are those?

We have never used a GF in any instance. 1 cleric, 2 wizards a rogue and a gwf, or a combination of those classes, once in a while 2 clerics (makes fights so easy lol). Who cares who hits the boss first, every ability is easily able to be avoided. If you wizard or rogue want to hit the boss first, good, DPS is important, the faster you kill the boss the faster the fight is over.
  • kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hardpeck1 wrote: »
    My 60 wizard was first.

My 60 cleric got 60 last night.

Both are 10k GS.

Honestly, it's not hard to tank/kite the adds and it makes bosses much easier to kill.

I have already run multiple T2's as a healer (and run all of them as a wizard). I heal the group, tank/kite the adds while they kill the boss.

Once boss is dead we kill adds, or if we are lazy, we wipe, let adds despawn, then continue on.

Adds are coming non stop. You have very little time between add spawns, and that's if you are killing them almost instantly, if you aren't then you will have all your DPS killing adds the whole time - making the fight 10 times longer than it needs to be.

And tanks? what are those?

We have never used a GF in any instance. 1 cleric, 2 wizards a rogue and a gwf, or a combination of those classes, once in a while 2 clerics (makes fights so easy lol). Who cares who hits the boss first, every ability is easily able to be avoided. If you wizard or rogue want to hit the boss first, good, DPS is important, the faster you kill the boss the faster the fight is over.

Once you get AS sure a DC can tank a few of the adds but until then the DC really can't stand up to too much punishment from adds. Once u get AS it becomes alittle easier tho.
  • ageoffan123ageoffan123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I would say boss fights here in 5 mans do offer some unique attacks that i have never seen in WoW. I like it, sure adds are a hassle but i am getting used to em, and honestly post mad dragon/iridis it is not that crazy.
  • hardpeck1hardpeck1 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    I would say boss fights here in 5 mans do offer some unique attacks that i have never seen in WoW. I like it, sure adds are a hassle but i am getting used to em, and honestly post mad dragon/iridis it is not that crazy.

Wait until you start doing epic Karuundax or Epic Spell Plagued, or Epic anything. :)
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is why I built my second DC to Deal and not heal.

She can take a punch and until at least level 50 and a respec the rest of the party is so out of luck for heals.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's not even challenging, it's annoying. This is not an action rpg. It's just a traditional MMO with a targeting reticle on your screen.
    Raiderz doesen't need adds for a boss to be challenging. Neverwinter shouldn't need them either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • nawdlenawdle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    First page of this thread was hilarious.

Fully agree with the guy complaining about not being consulted re:meatshield.
    'Dps the boss, ignore adds, we'll live through it because of Astral Shield'

EASY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SAY.

The problem is that the astral shield really needs to be divine. And if you can't stop to cast once in a while, you can't get divinity, and everyone will die from standing in the bad that your magic shield is supposed to save them from (as opposed to moving 3 inches).

Also, to the people who pull that stunt in fights with adds with ranged AAs... you utter, utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • pepepoepepepoe Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    What's the point of having Sooth & Battlewise when they are totally useless just wasted points (6) if feated.
    May as well remove them for what good they are.
  • czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    It's the CW's job to kill/disable adds. If a cleric has to run around with a tail of death behind him it's the CW not doing his job. A proper combo of AoE spells with disables (steal time, shard of endless avalanche, shield) allows the cleric to stand still most of the time, because all adds are either dead, disabled or far away.

The problem is that most of the people bash this build for the knockbacks, because "it hurts their DPS", therefore I don't see such builds as often as I'd like to. Most CWs focus on dmg only and have no or almost no CC.

Regards,
    Kalantris
  • l4stlifel4stlife Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    dont really want to repeat myself but its valid to this thread to

I (Rogue) was in an epic dungeon (Mad Dragon) with a fantastic group the other day, 2 healers 1 GWF and 1 GF. and the healers did a fantastic job on while we were fighting the dragon.

The GF Tanked the dragon while the healers kept him up and the GWF and myself protected the healers, when all the add’s were down I would help the GF on the dragon but only while under stealth as to not draw agro onto myself, when the fiend spawned towards the end I did as much DPS against it as I could staying very close to the healers, they did a great job and I took very little damage, the GWF took care of the smaller adds. It was the best team work I have ever seen with a random group of people, and all coms were through the party chat, except for the GF who was talking through the in game VIOP system

Was absolutely epic and so rewarding to be in group of random players each playing there parts so well... I personally love having at least 1 healer in epic dungeons

I was once grouped with 4 rogues and a control wizard on the Mad dragon and well we couldn’t get passed the first boss
  • perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The correct strategy for dealing with bosses depends entirely on the skill of the party fighting it. An average skill party needs to kill adds and handle trash in a long drawn out fight. An exceptional party can have no tanks, no cc, and kite everything around while killing the boss in record time and tweeting about how boring and easy the game is.

In some ways Neverwinter is a very elitist game. It's not like other games where a better tank just makes the healer's job a bit easier but the party still needs all the roles filled. In Neverwinter, great players change not only the strategy for the fight but the best party composition.

I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I think the game design is broken. The best players should be the best at their roles, not reach a point where they can discard roles and basically start exploiting fight mechanics.