test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ioun stone or Dancing blade?

eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Which is better?
I'm a halfling TR if it matters. :cool:
the Dancing blade cost a ton of AD while the Ioun stone cost a lot of zenn.
I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
Post edited by eyebreaker7 on

Comments

• kyotheman9000kyotheman9000 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neither once u get into higher lvls its better to get augment pet these are cat and alluna stone give stat benfit aura to u they start off with its own aura, but when u slot gear on to it that becomes aura u get reek the benfits.

tank pet from zen shops okay really by lvl 40s to end game u want stats more, free companion u get is good for lvling end game dungeons they are useless
  • eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you mean the stone of Allure? That's the ioun stone I asked about :cool:
    edited May 2013
    Any other input please? :cool:
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of the two options you stated, at endgame groups the Ioun stone is the preferred choice as it gives a lot of of stats and will not cause any issues, as other companions might.
  • lilura138lilura138 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I've heard the Dancing Blade is really horrible. With that being said you could purchase the Ioun Stone of Allure and then save up 14k of Glory and buy the Dancing Blade from he Glory Vendor. That would take you little over a week but save you tons in AD. The idea of the Blade is appealing to me so I may save up and buy it myself.
    edited May 2013
    The "glory" you get doing PVP? I don't do PVP and I usually start over sometime in the early 40's for some reason but I wanna try and get to at least 50 this time.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Definitely the ioun stone. Pets tend to die too fast to boss AOE and don't really help you enough except the cleric companion which is the best but that too died too fast.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neither once u get into higher lvls its better to get augment pet these are cat and alluna stone give stat benfit aura to u they start off with its own aura, but when u slot gear on to it that becomes aura u get reek the benfits.

?? The ioun stone he's asking about is the one with stats. There is no alluna stone.

The stones and cat are pretty good, as they boost your stats, some prefer cat, some stone, depends on what you want for stats, how you kit them out, and what look you prefer. Most group runs will do better with those pets, but i've found too that if the group doesn't have a certain role, everyone can pull out a different one and do well.

From what i've read, the dancing blade has either a bug or bad AI currently, where it will not really do anything. I've not been able to test it, but most companions have a delayed reaction time, so on minions they are pretty useless most of the time, but on bigger mobs they show how they are more useful, after they have time to "kick in".

The stones and cat also seem to be almost un-killable, since they don't really enter combat, but i've heard the cat can get hit by aoe. A dead companion equals no companion.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The stone (or cat) are the best companions because they directly buff you and those buffs are > any contribution the other companions give (rare exception being if you're low on a particular role that is not your own they can assist with - but usually they die too often in combat to be of use in that role anyway). The stone and cat cannot be killed so they're always providing you with those buffs.

Not to mention if you use one early in levelling they're pretty much overpowered as they can use level 60 items regardless of their rank.
    edited May 2013
    What is/isn't good to put into the ioun stone?
    edited May 2013
    Any advice or opinions?
  • thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    whatever you want really. Depends on your build.. for my CW, i stack recovery /crit. For a rogue it could be the same or you might want some LS / ARP.

basicly just treat them as 3 more equipment slots, and 2 enchant slots (for the runes) (I put a 8% stats transfer in the defense slot, as only thing that really helps my damage)

For specific items.

I just bought a drake ring / amulet ( You could go a tier down if you dont have the tokens to spare)

Then bought a cheap relic from the AH to put in the relic slot.

(I also put decently high enchants in the items i socketed)

I think i went power / crit / recovery and put crit or recovery enchants in the items
    edited May 2013
    Thanks thewobey. Much appreciated. Anything you would def NOT put in? I read somewhere on here that some things don't work for some reason?