test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Before I re-roll.. can these stats be salvaged?

daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Temple
So, I'm sure most of you know what I am asking.

My Strength is 16,
Con was 12, Wisdom was 16 and charisma was 14.

I used my +2 in con/charisma and I am tiefling cleric who is about to achieve 60. I was counting on the respec token to allow me to adjust my ability scores, but evidently I cannot. So, either I re-roll or suffer with it..

Can my ability scores be salvaged?
Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
Post edited by daschla on

Comments

• qryzelqryzel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup, with a respec token
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    those rolls are fine.

you can't get the "optimal" 20/20/20, but you'll be fine.
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Respec tokens do not allow you to change your ability scores. So, if you started with 14 strength, for example, you are stuck with it.

I am under the impression that I would have been better off with 16/16/14 with the 2 extra in intelligence rather than constitution.
  • malivekmalivek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure where you got the information that respec tokens don't allow you to change your ability scores, but unless each of my characters are bugged, it's not true. I've been able to completely re-do ability scores whenever I've used the respec token.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You've been able to reassign the ability scores from leveling, NOT reroll your initial scores. There is no way to reroll your initial scores sans rerolling your character.
  • storminrhstorminrh Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malivek wrote: »
    Not sure where you got the information that respec tokens don't allow you to change your ability scores, but unless each of my characters are bugged, it's not true. I've been able to completely re-do ability scores whenever I've used the respec token.

Changing your ability scores and rolling again are two different things, the OP wants to do the later which isn't possible with a token.

As far as the OPs question, your stats are fine and are going to make a minimal difference. The question you should ask yourself is will it be worth it to level from 1-60 a second time for a 2%ish stat increase on a stat that you will easily cap out in T1 gear?

I personally am starting to gear up in T2s and am looking for ways to throw away recovery and sometimes even crit, finding power and defense seems to be what you want later on so your ability scores aren't going to matter much. I would say don't reroll even if you're a min maxer it wont really matter, true the ability score stat gains are not affected by diminishing returns but you can't help how much of a stat you get anyways so regardless you will be capped with or without your perfect ability scores.
  • voodoogrovesvoodoogroves Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    those rolls are fine.

you can't get the "optimal" 20/20/20, but you'll be fine.

New player. I keep asking this, why is 20/20/20 optimal? Do the bonuses tail off somewhere or cap?
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for the help. I was just worried as I have accumulated gear and while I kind of wanted to change her appearance, I was content to pay 2.00 to do that. I really didn't want to powerlevel for 2 days to try and catch back up to the friends I am leveling with, but would, if I had to.
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    New player. I keep asking this, why is 20/20/20 optimal? Do the bonuses tail off somewhere or cap?

No they don't. I'm not really sure at what point it was decided that was optimal.

I think it started with me and my first build video. I have 20/20/20 but it's because I'm indecisive and I like round numbers. I think in retrospect with where I'm at now with gear and what not I'd rather dump wisdom for charisma and strength but I can't (started with 18 wisdom) but then that might hurt my healing a bit too much (indecisive remember).

Strength and Charisma are great because they boost crit and recharge by a flat amount and your stats in those 2 things directly effects the maximum crit and cooldown rate you can achieve. Recovery and Crit suffer pretty hard diminishing returns somewhere between 2k and 3k.

With 13 int and 20 cha for a base 13% CD reduction you have to stack up to around 2,500 recovery to get AS down to 15 seconds. The more Int/Cha you have the less item stats you have to devote to recovery to achieve a 32.5% recharge rate and get AS to 100% up-time.

With 12 Int and 15 Cha for a base of 7% recharge rate you would have to stack up to around 4,600 recovery to get the same 32.5% recharge rate. Yes you have to stack an additional 2,100 recovery to make up for a 6% loss in stats even though the first 2,500 gives you 20% recharge rate. As I said, DR hits HARD.

Crit has similar numbers going for it which is why I like to have base 5% + 10% Str = 15% + 3% Weapon mastery = 18%. Then I only need around 2.4k Critical Strike to get a 33% crit chance.

Wisdom is nice to have too.

Edit: @OP, if you put a point in Cha every level you can you'll get +6 total (20 Cha at 60), then put 2 in Str and 2 in Wis and let the +1 all at 30 and 60 add the extra +2 and you will get 20/20/20 (if you want it anyway).
  • blahblahseanblahblahsean Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    I think a lot of people completely underestimate the secondary effect you get from Wisdom: the control resistance. You can't get control resist from gear, this is something you can ONLY get from your ability score points or from your race choice. For PvE control resist isn't that amazing, but it still does have some beneficial impact on some fights where you might be controlled 100-0 and getting out of the CC even .25 seconds sooner is enough time for you to dodge before the second control spell lands on you to prevent the control-lock. In PvP control resist is vastly superior to what you get from strength or charisma, they aren't even remotely comparable. Probably 50% of your combat time in PvP will be you in a control spell of some kind if the other team is even remotely competent at CCing/training the healer.

In my opinion:
    For PvP: Wisdom > Strength > Charisma
    For PvE: Strength = Wisdom > Charisma

For the same reason Wisdom is so strong in PvP, strength is strong in PvE because it gives you a unique resource: more stamina regeneration for more dodges. Dodging is so critical in PvE that the reduced output is justified by the additional stamina. Just keep in mind though, wisdom is superior to strength in terms of raw output so if you don't feel like the additional stamina is actually beneficial then wisdom is the preferred stat for PvE too.
  • dcronusdcronus Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry to put something out there not quite in line with the OP, but it has to do with re-rolling

When you use a respec token, should it take you to level 1 or level 5? I ask because I used a token and didn't want to put any points into Healer's Lore, but instead it put me back to level 5 with 1 point in each of the initial 5 powers.

Is this WAI? or was I just unlucky..?
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dcronus wrote: »
    Sorry to put something out there not quite in line with the OP, but it has to do with re-rolling

When you use a respec token, should it take you to level 1 or level 5? I ask because I used a token and didn't want to put any points into Healer's Lore, but instead it put me back to level 5 with 1 point in each of the initial 5 powers.

Is this WAI? or was I just unlucky..?

First 5 points are automatic. You don't get to choose them, ever.
  • dcronusdcronus Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First 5 points are automatic. You don't get to choose them, ever.

Fail...

Fail hard...
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Is there any way (Zen, Astral Diamonds, etc) to change your initial Ability Score point die rolls selections?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg