test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rogue and AoE damage?

scoranovascoranova Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
How are Rogues at doing AoE damage to groups of mobs. Most of their attacks seems singeltarget.
Post edited by scoranova on

Comments

• articulatefoolarticulatefool Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The rogue was designed to be the single target DPS character.
    Their AoE is lacking, but has it's purpose while leveling up.

In endgame dungeons, your primary focus is single target DPS oh high value targets.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rogue aoe is mostly best described as "nonexistent".
    Your first daily skill hits everything in range one time for peanuts worth of damage (or it can hit 1 -3 enemy many, many times even killing small groups or single targets). Later you get a small aoe ranged attack that seems weak. You have a couple of damage reflects that can serve as aoe (advanced bait and switch dummy with feat, and I think one that affects you). Thats about it.
  • adevlin1991adevlin1991 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    Ignore the above posters who I don't think have ran dungeons at 60.

Rogues aoe damage is very good, all of our encounters are 3' cyclinder aoe's. So if mobs are stacked up you will hit five mobs(target cap) easily which gains you a truckload of Action Points and does loads of damage. Trash takes up 90% of every dungeon and rogues, if played well, top the meter every time. That should automatically make you realise that rogues aoe dps is very strong.

I regularly see 20k Dazing Strikes hitting 5 targets and 15k Wicked Reminders hitting the same amount of mobs. Whirlwind of Blades is also a very strong daily, it doesn't scale from power only weapon damage but it still hits for a reasonable amount per mob 20k+ on crits and gives you over 1500 power for about 10s which amps your auto attack damage a fair bit.

If there are two large mobs alternate which target you are auto-attacking and you can roll a 10 stack bleed on each target doing 5-6k/s per mob in bleed damage alone. Don't limit yourself by thinking that rogues are strickly a single target nuker, we are not. We are the strongest sustained aoe dps'er in the game right now, but we require Control Wizards to group mobs up with singularity for us to really shine.

I've cleared everything bar Dracolich and the last boss of Dread Vault(cba with bonfires not working) with a DC GF CW CW TR setup. No cleric shield stacking, no set bonus exploits, just coordinated aoe CC chains and good positioning.
  • papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wicked reminder is awesome with cw's black hole. Not sure if it applies the debuff on all the mobs tho... I don't like dazing that much, not that it's bad i just can't see myself without ItC..
    edited May 2013
    Ignore the above posters who I don't think have ran dungeons at 60.

Rogues aoe damage is very good, all of our encounters are 3' cyclinder aoe's.

I think even the at will attacks can do this if you get the angle right, maybe all melee attacks are potentially a small aoe (?). I will have to double check...
  • maxtomaxmaxtomax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wicked Reminder doesnt have an aoe cap. It is awesome. Best aoe in the game
  • zierkzierk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19
    edited May 2013
    I have never noticed WR hit multiple mobs, I have always used Blitz for trash and WR for bosses. I will have to check that out. I run in a static with CW and Astral Singularity is amazing for grouping up mobs.
  • kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    Dazing Strke in dungeons? What a waste.
  • solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Dazing strike + Wicked Reminder + Blitz is probably the best aoe in the game if you can get a wizard that isn't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The aoe range on DS and WR is very small, but if the mobs are grouped with wormhole then you can just slaughter them.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Duelist's Flurry seems to be a small AoE. If mobs are being dragged together by a Singularity, I'm quite effective at burning down trash, even without any AoE encounter powers.
  • adevlin1991adevlin1991 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    kashimaa1 wrote: »
    Dazing Strke in dungeons? What a waste.

It does more dps than Lashing Strike, is an aoe which Lashing is not, it also does a 4-5s Daze on 5 mobs which is insanely handy to stop people getting alpha'd by auto attack burst as the mobs fall out of the singularity.

Every time I see a rogue running Lashing Strike, Shadow Strike and blitz. I facepalm so hard I hit my back wall.

Smoke Bomb, Wicked Reminder and Dazing Strike. That is by far the best combo for dungeons, it allows you to bring utility without sacrificial any real dps. If your group is already very aoe CC heavy you could drop Smoke bomb for blitz. Lashing is just a poor ability never use it.
  • solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    solsol1337 wrote: »
    Dazing strike + Wicked Reminder + Blitz is probably the best aoe in the game if you can get a wizard that isn't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The aoe range on DS and WR is very small, but if the mobs are grouped with wormhole then you can just slaughter them.

My only gripe is that Dazing Strike has a animation that seems to take forever if not cast from stealth.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    stuff

:-)

Im using lashing, bait and shadow strike mostly. i realy like 80% stealth uptime. i finish of bosses while the whole team is dead with this skills.

dazing more dps? i will test it, but sounds a bit wierd ... can it beat my 70k lashing on a single target? that was my highest hit with lashing so far.

About utility and groups. i dont see myself in duty to bring a lot of utility into groups. my utility is DPS, nothing else, in this game at least. why should i waste slots for CC if a CW is so much better at it?

wicked reminder on the other hand is awesome. but i would need one more skillslot for it ;p

Edit: by the way. blitz? seriously? ^^. let cws do the AE while you burn the high value targets.
    edited May 2013
    kashimaa1 wrote: »
    :-)

Im using lashing, bait and shadow strike mostly. i realy like 80% stealth uptime. i finish of bosses while the whole team is dead with this skills.

dazing more dps? i will test it, but sounds a bit wierd ... can it beat my 70k lashing on a single target? that was my highest hit with lashing so far.

About utility and groups. i dont see myself in duty to bring a lot of utility into groups. my utility is DPS, nothing else, in this game at least. why should i waste slots for CC if a CW is so much better at it?

wicked reminder on the other hand is awesome. but i would need one more skillslot for it ;p

Edit: by the way. blitz? seriously? ^^. let cws do the AE while you burn the high value targets.

More dps is just a value. If you hit 10 guys for 5000, its a lot better than hitting 1 guy for 10k. Its "more dps" but each target is only scratched. At times, one or the other approach has merits that make it superior to the other, but on the dps value meter at the end of a run, the aoe gives a bigger number is is "more" even when it may have been inappropriate. As noted if your group keeps all the mobs in a ball for aoe anyway..... it may be of value. Depends on the group, the content being run, and such things...