test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are TR the best T2 boss tank?

lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Are TR the best T2 boss tank?

I was talking with my friends and they said that Trickster Rogues make better T2 boss tanks over Guardian Fighters... Is that true? Is that intended or is that likely to change? I don't want to gear up a TR for tanking and have the rug pulled out from under me a week later...
12.jpgRanger.jpg
Post edited by lltsnwn on

Comments

• alphretalphret Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    short answer no..they do not tank damage they simply nuke boss and dodge damage.. they generate hardly any threat as the clerics are holding all the aggro from the boss, the ads, the and all the boss's and adds for the closest 45 dungeons, hell they are even stacking aggro on your momma who doesnt even have a char in game.. thats how broken threat is :P

tanks are simply broken in regard to threat atm, as are clerics. we are waiting on a patch. that being said in the current sorry state of the games build, yes, ppl are taking mostly a dual cleric dual rogue and cw setup for their class composition in their groups....this is not the intention of how the game is meant to be played, its merely the by product of a LOT of badly broken game mechanics.

rogues are not tanks..clerics are not tanks..wizards are not tanks...great weapon fighter are supposed to be dps with the option of a off tank, peeler build although, assuming their tanky tree was working correctly, which it isnt, a really good and well geared GWF might be able to tank t1's and some t2's..but it would (if all was working as intended) be sub optimal. the only tank is a guardian tank...who is sadly badly broken.

The really silly thing is that most of those ppl rather then playing as the game is meant to be played and pushing the limits to find more issues to be fixed...are simply bypassing the bugs in an effort to clear content get gear and shout their epeen about how good they are etc etc, for their own personal gratification, this is the downside of open beta. those who are truly beta testing are getting left behind for the most part...those bypassing will be geared and set in their ways when the fix's come.

fact is, when a game is not working as intended..its really to hard to know how good you actually are. should a cleric be able to tank 40 adds and still heal? should a rogue be able to nuke a boss to death and take hardly any damage assuming the boss isn't being tanked and most are not atm...are guardians supposed to produce no static threat? should a wizard be able to cc 50 adds continuously so they do little or no damage to a group if they are not killed? does it mean anything id you clear castle never in under 2 hours IN A BROKEN BUILD?

discuss and let the flame wars begin ^.^
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, GF and GWF are largely worthless. Better to bring another cleric or CW.
  • tumolololtumololol Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question, when you say "tanks" in plural then you don't mean GWF's do you? Cause from what I know they're just broken in damage atm and are meant to be tank only as secondary, just like wizards are control secondary. Just a question and no ill intent here, it just seems that people talk about GWF as either tank or aoe... or even pure striker and expect people to know what they mean. Kinda hard to guess out :P

Anyways, I don't like how "marks" work either, they should not be removed on taking a hit, maybe for pvp, not pve
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't have much of a problem peeling add's off of clerics as a GWF...

I use the suggested tanking abilities along with all DPS gear. It's actually rather the same strategy the GF is using at the moment for their aggro generation. The way GWF debuffs work, if someone else has aggro you do significantly more damage if you keep your debuffs running. They either peel or they burn, but either way the GWF has a ton of slows to make sure the cleric can stroll away safely.

Just my two cents.

Sadly I have nothing to add to the actual OP.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    I don't have much of a problem peeling add's off of clerics as a GWF...

I use the suggested tanking abilities along with all DPS gear. It's actually rather the same strategy the GF is using at the moment for their aggro generation. The way GWF debuffs work, if someone else has aggro you do significantly more damage if you keep your debuffs running. They either peel or they burn, but either way the GWF has a ton of slows to make sure the cleric can stroll away safely.

Just my two cents.

Sadly I have nothing to add to the actual OP.

At what gear level, in what dungeons? GWF have no taunt, and do laughable damage, they have no specific role that cannot be done better by another class. Hell, it's getting to the point where some people are kicking GWF as soon as they join, just because any other class is better in most situations.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    At what gear level, in what dungeons? GWF have no taunt, and do laughable damage, they have no specific role that cannot be done better by another class. Hell, it's getting to the point where some people are kicking GWF as soon as they join, just because any other class is better in most situations.

I laughed pretty hard when I got kicked as soon as I joined earlier, the 2 DCs left with me instantly.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF have no taunt, and do laughable damage, they have no specific role that cannot be done better by another class.

Can we stop saying completely wrong things like this? I think Extinction (and those with similiar builds) would argue they do rather high damage which since it is spread out over more targets can be considerably higher than a TR. If aggro worked correctly (or even somewhat better) we would see GWF killing collections of mobs gathered by a CW, while a TR and GF pair took the big guys down and a DC kept everyone buffed and healed as needed. That is the way their roles are constructed and the way the mechanics suggest they should work. The broken aggro that leads to healers drawing huge amounts of aggro is what kills the way the mechanics should work and turns it into 'dump mobs off cliff while TR handles boss and use DC buffs and heals to keep everyone alive'.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol why would gwf kill ads when cw and dc 1 shot them by using knock back and gwf and gf are huge <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> atm
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shad99 wrote: »
    Can we stop saying completely wrong things like this? I think Extinction (and those with similiar builds) would argue they do rather high damage which since it is spread out over more targets can be considerably higher than a TR. If aggro worked correctly (or even somewhat better) we would see GWF killing collections of mobs gathered by a CW, while a TR and GF pair took the big guys down and a DC kept everyone buffed and healed as needed. That is the way their roles are constructed and the way the mechanics suggest they should work. The broken aggro that leads to healers drawing huge amounts of aggro is what kills the way the mechanics should work and turns it into 'dump mobs off cliff while TR handles boss and use DC buffs and heals to keep everyone alive'.

Two things.

GWF is laughable. A TR does more damage in two bleed ticks than any GWF Encounter. While those are ticking, their auto attacks continue to do more damage per hit than four hits of our at-wills even if all of our crit. While we are able to keep our total DPS high due to the large number of enemies, the fact that in some instances (Castle Never for example) two circles still won't keep your group alive, being able to take full advantage of your AoE's becomes difficult when it's better for the group to toss some of those mobs around. If all we fought were trash mobs (no champions) who didn't do any damage and we had two CW's to group them nicely for us continuously then we'd be doing great.

Then we'd still get to the miniboss/boss and fall behind in both total damage, DPS, and usefulness because we can't CC as well as a CW, we can't heal, we can't tank, and we certainly can't single target DPS (which is the best use for us at that point of the dungeon).

Second point.

I don't mind being able to throw enemies off ledges. I can't tell you how many games I've played where we had hard CC and invisible walls prevented enemies from being killed by gravity yet they could knock you off and end your run.
  • decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    I love a good GWF for AoE damage.
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed
  • vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Yes, GF and GWF are largely worthless. Better to bring another cleric or CW.

Really? Please explain to me how a GF is worthless when said GF does the most damage in any given dungeon while still being able to have 50% of the whole's group damage taken. I would love to hear from your wisdom and your clear and wide knowledge of the game.
  • negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaichana wrote: »
    Really? Please explain to me how a GF is worthless when said GF does the most damage in any given dungeon while still being able to have 50% of the whole's group damage taken. I would love to hear from your wisdom and your clear and wide knowledge of the game.

Not diminishing the GF -> i love it when me as a cw and a gf can 2v3 a lot of groups in pvp, thats fun (In fact i believe a good GF can outmatch any TR/DC/CW in pvp, seeing how my friend soloes 2 ppl quite often with his GF). But GF in fact, won't ever be on top of the dmg in PvE unless the rest of the party is trash, period (or all of the group consist off clerics and GFs).

Now to the fact of GWF -> actually a GWF/TR/CW combo is the best one for clearing adds, gwf+cw gets the medium/low life creatures while TR focuses on the high hp targets. The problem being, besides trash onto the way to the boss there is not many adds ppl actually want to kill on bosses. T2 as an example:
    - Frozen Heart -> most groups kite
    - Spider -> knock off adds
    - Karrundax -> here a GWF can shine as its kinda easy to kill all the adds
    - Dread Vault -> anyone actually does that?
    - Spellplague -> knock off adds
    - Castle Never -> knock off adds
    - Pirate -> kite or knock off

So from the 6 (5 considering DV is bugged and the last boss doesn't drop anything - or does he now?) GWF might be usefull in 1 of the raids, the same as GF in fact(even more in some dungeons as a GWF wont bring aoe dps to the table).
  • vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    But GF in fact, won't ever be on top of the dmg in PvE unless the rest of the party is trash, period (or all of the group consist off clerics and GFs).

I find it funny that you say "in fact", as "in fact" it has been proven exactly the opposite. The fact that people still keeps spreading this kind of misinformation only contributes to GF being considered a subpar useless class, while it has the highest AoE damage potential atm. But whatever.

I do agree on the bosses though; but I can still beat the hell out of them, or their adds, while keeping them off the cleric, just fine.