test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Odoiel's Grand Maze

odoielrulzodoielrulz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Being that it is the community that is going to play it figured I would ask for their input.

I'm looking for some ideas on a maze I have created. To easy/hard? To dark? Is it good/<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>?
Let me know what you think. Yes I am aware that it is an unfinished project (no encounters yet), with all the tight spaces I have not chosen the types of encounters yet. Needing to get feedback on the maze itself.

Code: NW-DBE9IHAYL
Name: Odoiel's Grand Maze
Author: @odoielrulz
Tags: #Puzzle #Maze #Outdoor #Challenge

34pf315.jpg

Overlooking the maze during a lightning strike.
307m79i.jpg

v.1.1
Fixed start point.
Removed breadcrumbs.
Fixed exit door.

v.1.2
Added some encounters and a few extra walls.
My Foundy Creations:
Morokei's Stolen Property & Odoiel's Grand Maze. (Still under development)
Post edited by odoielrulz on

Comments

• zer033zer033 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll give you one piece of valuable feedback, no one likes mazes...
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Member Posts: 4,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Correction, anyone who likes having their hand held in Easy To Play games don't like mazes. Keep at it but make each end of the maze intriguing and rewarding to explore.
    edited May 2013
    It's a psychological thing, people don't like mazes. Too much choice and confusion creates a lot of playing fatigue and people will be likely to quit even if they aren't stuck or it isn't hard.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Member Posts: 4,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is D&D players we're talking about here, right? I think they can handle UGC with depth if done with care.
  • odoielrulzodoielrulz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You don't know everyone. So don't post as if you did. If nobody liked mazes then there wouldn't be human mazes that charge people to walk in them, or puzzle books that have tons of mazes, or memorable movies such as The Shining. I asked for feedback not a load of cap because "YOU" don't like mazes.
    My Foundy Creations:
    edited May 2013
    Haha, I was going to mention the shining to prove my point... see what mazes do to people?
  • hexedianhexedian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The quest has the word Maze in it... I don't think anyone who doesn't like mazes is going to play it by mistake.
  • hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Made it to final door, clicked door and it didn't open. Sorry.

I congratulate you on not being a sheep and making another mindless dungeon like the vast majority of people though. It's refreshing to see new ideas and not having someone hold my hand telling me to pick up the key and then use key on door, open door, talk to man inside room... ya, I get it... thanks for doing the thinking for me.
    Dr. Herc trilogy NWS-DHDPDVTMA
  • odoielrulzodoielrulz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Hercul33t!

I fixed that door(actually removed it, it wasn't needed anyway), start point issue, and that eliminated the breadcrumb. Its republishing now.
    My Foundy Creations:
  • insubstantialinsubstantial Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    As far as I'm concerned if dungeon has a 'maze' aspect then it also needs some really good puzzle/trap/mystery mechanics. Obviously I am not talking about following the golden trail to the thing where you then press "F"

I am not sure if you could even do something like that in this game since you've only seemingly got the whole "Press F" thing goin on to do whatever it is you were supposed to after following the trail. If you could create some real brain twisters that didn't have the whole follow the trail to the press F thing... along with some good writing/prose.. maybe inscriptions /clues on the walls etc... I'd say it would be good. If not then I would just stick with a combat oriented dungeon.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hercul33t wrote: »
    Made it to final door, clicked door and it didn't open. Sorry.

I congratulate you on not being a sheep and making another mindless dungeon like the vast majority of people though. It's refreshing to see new ideas and not having someone hold my hand telling me to pick up the key and then use key on door, open door, talk to man inside room... ya, I get it... thanks for doing the thinking for me.

Man, you REALLY dislike waypoints, and shiny breadcrumbs, huh guy? I'll be sure the latter part of my dungeon does not hold your hand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Also, I hope somewhere in this maze some NPC goes "Odoiel Rules!!!" Those of you who didn't get a chance to see Billy Madison probably won't get that reference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Man, you REALLY dislike waypoints, and shiny breadcrumbs, huh guy? I'll be sure the latter part of my dungeon does not hold your hand.

No, I think it's the dumbest thing to put in a DnD game.

DM: You come to an intersection. You can go East or West. Which way do you go?
    Player: I'll just follow the sparkly trail to get the dagger key for the magical door.
    DM: How do you even know about the magic door or that you need a dagger key?
    Player: The tracker says so... now, I follow the sparkly trail...
  • vanlichtensteinvanlichtenstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cant find your maze anywhere in the foundry?

Did you take it off again?
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I heard the player could press the z key if they didn't want the sparklies. Probably just a rumor though.
    edited May 2013
    I heard the player could press the z key if they didn't want the sparklies. Probably just a rumor though.

Yes, obviously they can. Doesn't have any bearing on what I was talking about.

I guess a map maker could also make a map in a wide open field so the player could just see every node, that would be fun too.

Look, we all know you're jealous of me but could you please stop trolling every thread I post in? It's pretty creepy how obsessed with me you are.
    edited May 2013
    Players that want sparklies get them, players that don't, don't. Cryptic got this one right.
    edited May 2013
    Players that want sparklies get them, players that don't, don't. Cryptic got this one right.

That's wonderful... thanks for that info that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Please leave me alone. Stop posting snide comments about my comments, stop posting screenshots of my ingame reviews, just please stop commenting on anything I say. You're so obsessed with me that you don't even take into context the things I say, you just blurt stuff out.
    edited May 2013
    Shame on Cryptic for making something that's optional that can be turned off with a keypress for anyone who doesn't want it. Cryptic made many poor choices in NWO, but optional sparkly path was not one. It would be nice if you could also turn off the minimap markers, but they decided not to allow it.
    edited May 2013
    WTF does any of this have to do with my maze? Please take your complaints about the breadcrumbs elsewhere.

And no I did not take it down.
    My Foundy Creations:
    edited May 2013
    Okay, then what am I doing wrong? If I search on your name @odoielrulz I only get the other quest you made.

Your maze aint there.
    edited May 2013
    Okay, then what am I doing wrong? If I search on your name @odoielrulz I only get the other quest you made.

Your maze aint there.
    Search via shortcode, it's the most reliable
    edited May 2013
    Search via shortcode, it's the most reliable

Make sure all the letters are capitalized too. I don't know why, but short-codes are case-sensitive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Okay thanks for the help.

I found it easily using the shortcode.

So on to the review.

I really liked the maze. Its pretty well done and a good test maze. I gave it 4 stars for the effort and time that must have gone into building it.

For encounters I would add patroling "stalker" monsters. That fade in and out at the beginning and end of their patrol, and "ghost" mobs, that only fleetingly move for a short distance in spots. Thats just to make players nervous.

I'd also add doors and key's in one form or another, so that you'd have to search the maze to get to certain points to retrieve keys and back to the doors to make progress in the maze.

Especialy if you are going to use it "as is" because this is a lefty maze. Meaning that if you just stick to taking every left turn and back tracking when you come to a dead end and take the nearest left turn again (right if there are no left ones) Then you get through the maze. Which is what I did. So then it needs obstcles and reasons to need to explore the maze further, so: doors and keys.

Lastly I'd like to add that when standing at co-ords: 550, 360 when facing west there is an overlab wall that makes the texture "jump"

I hope all this helps, I certainly enjoyed test running your maze and can't wait to see what it becomes in the near future. :)
    edited June 2013
    Currently Re-Publishing

Added some encounters
    My Foundy Creations: