test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Afk pvp solution

cmnewlandcmnewland Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Obviously and unfortunately the new patch didn't do anything to resolve the situation with the afk pvpers. The problem is rarely if ever do the pvpers actually afk. They just do not leave the spawn point. A simple solution would be to make the starting platform area have a 30 second timer in which you are required to leave the zone. If you do not leave the zone in time you will be removed from the match and receive no experience. Another solution that comes to mind would be to give the winning team substantially more experience for winning the match to make it in everyone's best interest to win the match. One or both of these changes would not only fix the issue but also make for more exciting and rewarding gameplay. The problem as it stands is just that there is simply no incentive the leave the spawn area given you receive a giant amount of experience still and glory as well even though you did nothing. Just give people incentive to leave spawn or incentive not to stay.
Post edited by cmnewland on

Comments

• Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Increasing the rewards won't do anything. The people that choose to exercise this exploit don't care about how much they get, just that they get some. You already get more for winning than losing.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps then make the amount of experience gained based off of the amount of points your team gets at the end of the match. Winning team gets double experience. Or maybe even require a minimum number such as 200-300 to get any experience at all. Forcing them out of the spawn point would make all of the difference.

Say for instance in the first bracket(10-19) you received 1 point of experience for each point your team accumulated. winning team gets 2.then increase that number by 1 for each new bracket. i/e 20-29 gets 2 per point winning team gets 4 all the way up to the 50-59 bracket where it would be 5 and 10 for the winner totalling a max of 10000 exp per match. I think this would be good exp for the current levels and should scale nicely to fit the new levels in each bracket. And would give incentive to not stay in spawn if you want any reward.
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The idea about a timer on leaving spawn is a good start I think.

What the community has been calling "afk" is just a general term for players sitting through pvp matches (usually at spawn) doing nothing-they are not necessarily "afk". At least if they have to go down and get killed that would be a good start to a comprehensive solution.
  • Options
    adrynbadrynb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm starting to think there is no solution. People en masse have power over any system it would seem.
    If they have to move out of the spawn zone within 30 secs or get kicked they'll simply move out of the spawn zone and then stop, get killed and repeat. The only way to stop it is for cryptic to ensure that everyone that does it gets banned but the time, money and resources required to investigate every claim makes that idea unfeasible.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There is a solid foundation for some really competitive pvp in this game with some proper incentive to win. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    adrynb wrote: »
    I'm starting to think there is no solution. People en masse have power over any system it would seem.
    If they have to move out of the spawn zone within 30 secs or get kicked they'll simply move out of the spawn zone and then stop, get killed and repeat. The only way to stop it is for cryptic to ensure that everyone that does it gets banned but the time, money and resources required to investigate every claim makes that idea unfeasible.

I don't really think banning people is the solution. It is not necessarily anyone's fault but the designers that people do this. What people need is incentive and reward for effort and to get no reward when they don't put forth that effort.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    The idea about a timer on leaving spawn is a good start I think.

What the community has been calling "afk" is just a general term for players sitting through pvp matches (usually at spawn) doing nothing-they are not necessarily "afk". At least if they have to go down and get killed that would be a good start to a comprehensive solution.

Also another problem that stands with the fix in the newest patch is that if the opposing team doesn't cap a single point then the match doesn't even last long enough for the system to even flag them afk. I believe it takes 5 minutes to be flagged as afk and i don't believe it even last 5 minutes.
  • Options
    hycinthushycinthus Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cmnewland wrote: »
    I don't really think banning people is the solution. It is not necessarily anyone's fault but the designers that people do this. What people need is incentive and reward for effort and to get no reward when they don't put forth that effort.

I agree with this completely. It may seem complicated but what is causing it is very simple. It is human nature to do the least effort to attain the greatest result. People will choose the path of least resistance. What must be done is eliminate reward from paths of least resistance.
  • Options
    unimatrixalpha1unimatrixalpha1 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some people or groups will still choose not to pvp/fight, after leaving the spawn point. They just want the easy Glory points.
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cmnewland wrote: »
    Also another problem that stands with the fix in the newest patch is that if the opposing team doesn't cap a single point then the match doesn't even last long enough for the system to even flag them afk. I believe it takes 5 minutes to be flagged as afk and i don't believe it even last 5 minutes.

That is way too long! 1 min at the most; in most games I can barely look away for 5 secs let alone stand around for a minute doing nothing.
  • Options
    xxhumorxxxxhumorxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    So... put a heavy object on your W key and run out of the spawn point will be the new technique next is what you're getting at?

There are far too many ways to work around a useless AFK system. Having players "Need" to leave the spawn point won't change anything.

What they need to do, is simply this; Losers gain NO GLORY, that way, there's no incentive to actually do PvP if you're just going to lose on purpose.

Yes, this is a bit harsh, and forces players to have a good team, and it does hurt a lot of people who are actually trying to win and lose. But, that's what T1 dungeons are for as well, to get geared so you CAN do PvP.

I'm not saying this is the "best" way to go, they would definitely need to work on a matchmaking system to put players of the same "skill" base together, maybe start keeping track of Wins/Losses, and match-make players based on their win/loss ration.

But... This is the ONLY method that will keep AFK PvP players out of PvP, is if PWE/Cryptic decided to hand out no glory to losers of the PvP match. Otherwise, there will ALWAYS, be a work around for AFK PvP.
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    people able to write a simple keyboard macro that jumps them every 5 seconds can also manage to make it walk a few yards first
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Matching players based on their win/loss ratios would be a good start. That's what games like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth do, and it works better than what MMOs manage to accomplish.

Because Neverwinter only uses 3 large servers (and their eventual plan is to merge these into 1 server) there will be tons of players in the available pool. In other games with 20+ servers, you simply don't have the people on each server to segregate them further into skill brackets, but it works on larger mega-servers.

With a skill matching system, not only do you get more balanced teams, but you also eventually get into a situation where all of the afkers become grouped together at the bottom of the ladder, as AFKers tend to have far more losses than wins (since they continually put their own team down a man.)

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The simple and most obvious solution is 2 fold.

1. Make PvP gear BoA. People who AFK for that to sell will disappear.

2. Tie point gain to experience. Even the crappiest PvPer can manage 1200-2000 points a game. this forces players to participate if they want anything out of the match.

The developers want to stop people going AFK.

They can't.

Only way I can see is to instead make going AFK pointless.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jolly55515jolly55515 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand all the hand wringing. Why do you people care so much? I've never seen anything to beat MMO players and their self appointed public avenger status about all things they deem unacceptable.
  • Options
    h2orattyh2oratty Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are more solutions coming - for now the best thing to do is just kick the afkers if you are party lead.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jolly55515 wrote: »
    I don't understand all the hand wringing. Why do you people care so much? I've never seen anything to beat MMO players and their self appointed public avenger status about all things they deem unacceptable.

It's because most normal people dislike cheating wankers. I'm sorry to hear you're not in that group.

But, to turn your statement around: I've never seen anything to beat MMO players & their proclivity for finding ways to profit while not actually playing the game.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    sindofinsindofin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you punish the losing team too much, the same scum which afks now, will just leave in the middle of the match, as soon as they don't clearly see their team winning.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    Matching players based on their win/loss ratios would be a good start. That's what games like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth do, and it works better than what MMOs manage to accomplish.

Once the servers are consolidated into one shard, this is the solution. Ive already suggested it on multiple fronts. Either use win loss ratio, or average score.

The afkers will end up with other afkers and the people who actually play will end up with others who actually play.
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sindofin wrote: »
    If you punish the losing team too much, the same scum which afks now, will just leave in the middle of the match, as soon as they don't clearly see their team winning.

Doubtful. You still get glory and XP gain from a loss so they'd be morons to leave with nothing instead of something.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    There is no real solution to AFK PvP tbh. If someone is going to afk, they going to afk and bypass all the blocks in the game. The best way is to use a report function to report players who go afk. If they get over say 10 reports, I think they deserve a ban, like two weeks in the beginning and so on.
  • Options
    nawdlenawdle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    So how about a system where your damage dealt/heals/kills/points capped are all associated with a hidden value, completely independent of the points you see at the end of a match. After one game, if this value is ridiculously low, you are given a 1 game ban. If there is a trend (say, 5+ games like this) you are given a 1 week pvp ban, another 5 games, permaban from pvp.