test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More than one way to skin a cat? Optional quest paths?

delekii1delekii1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Is there any way to make two distinct quest paths to get from point a to point b? Putting quest objectives side by side on the storyboard makes them both mandatory; I'd like to let the player do a OR b to get to the next objective.

For a few examples:

There might be an option where a player can steal an item OR kill something to get the item OR talk an npc into getting the item.

There might be a scenario where a player can opt to proceed straight to the next area, OR hang around and find out more information about the current area (thereby later gaining an advantage).

Things like that... I guess there are probably some work-arounds, but I just wondered if there is some way to do it officially, so that the options show up as trackable quest objectives on the quest tracker?

To extrapolate the point further, I would love for path A to send a player to a separate map temporarily. For example, if the player opts to find out information about an NPC, I'd like to take them into the NPC's inn, look around, find whatever, then head out to the next location. If they don't, I'd like to just take them straight to the next location.
Post edited by delekii1 on

Comments

• eb2013eb2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a limit on how many interact with object (two) you can do before it finishes the objective. I wanted to have a player collect five items and turn them in, but after the first two (no matter which two were gotten) it would move to the next part of the quest. I ended up changing the items to just two, but I can see how you might use this to give options. You could have 5 different things a player could do but he would only need to do any two of them.

Try my quest Tucker's Kobolds, now with an all new map and encounters!
    Version 2.0.2 (5/11/2013)
    NW-DGW8GFH6
    @EB2013

Part II Coming Soon!
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The answer is yes, you can make optional parts of the mission, but there is a catch (isn't there always?)
    In order to have optional objectives, you have to do it 'off the books.' which means this has to be done outside of the realm of the storyboard. For many this will add a level of complexity and may not work for your particular story idea.

The big thing is, you cannot have branching stories in the sense that a clear objective will be in your storyboard.
  • nurvusnurvus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree we should be able to define a simple AND/OR check for story branches, meaning it either requires you do all objectives, or either objective.
    Furthermore, we should be able to have branches within branches.
    Even multiple endings.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No.

Welcome to Foundry Railroading Hell.

You can spawn encounters outside of the storyboard however using Component Reached and Place Markers.

And please add your storyboard OR request here:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?199842-Feedback-Suggestions-What-to-Add-Change-in-the-Foundry
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nurvus wrote: »
    I agree we should be able to define a simple AND/OR check for story branches, meaning it either requires you do all objectives, or either objective.
    Furthermore, we should be able to have branches within branches.
    Even multiple endings.
    This has always been stated as a goal, one day maybe...I guess it really depends on how things go with the live non beta version, not that I really expect any bells and or whistles to be added from this point forward for a good bit. At most for the near future I think we can safely assume we will see costumes and assets, no major mechanical changes.
  • ixsparixspar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Couldn't some of this be accomplished via dialogue? For example, in dialogue tree 1 with the NPC A, I have choices to answer 1, 2, or 3. Based on the answer chosen, an item would be dropped for the player. Answer 1 drops a ring, answer 2 a coin, answer 3 a gem. Depending on the item possessed, the story could be made to progress at three different areas with entrance to the area requiring one of the specific objects. So the ring leads me to a sewer grate and map A for combat path. The coin leads us to the the town square to speak with merchant B to purchase/acquire item X, the gem leads us to the Sage shop to gather information/lore. After completing the respective quest, all the quest lines lead back to NPC A/quest mission Tier 2.

It sounds complicated and would require building 3 maps with three different access zone points (which I don't know if this is possible). It will all hinge on this to make it happen, I would think.

But I'm just brainstorming from my limited knowledge at this point.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have to be creative in creating multiple paths.

Here is a situation:

You want the player to meet the main quest NPC and the quest NPC tell you that you need to kill the boss of a dungeon but gives three different choices on how to do it:

A. Go left and kill a bunch of orcs, ogres, and frost giants which are blocking your way.

B. Go right and kill a bunch of drow and bandits which are blocking your way.

or

C. Go in the middle and solve a riddle and then kill a lair of baby dragons.

Is this possible? YES IT IS... here is how i would do it...

Story I would have two objectives:

Objective 1: Dialogue with quest NPC

Objective 2: Kill a specific encounter (i.e. the main boss).

That is how i would code it... BUT WAIT you also want those choices above. Then you provide optional dialogue specific events to trigger the desired results. Have the main NPC explain the situation to the player then tell the player that the player must decide which path to take. Once the player has chosen a path, the player will inform the gatekeeper (a different NPC) the choice selection.

Each path is blocked by a door. When you talk to the Gatekeeper NPC (who is not part of the story quest line) you can have branching dialogue options... each branch can be a specific choice... A, B, and C.. and each branch has a specific dialogue option. That specific dialogue option will be the key to letting the players "pick" their choice. The door textures are set to disappear when the player picks the corresponding dialogue option of their choice.

For example, you are talking to the Gatekeeper NPC and he tells you, "I hear you want to kill the boss. That is no small feat. However, you must pick the path in defeating this boss."

1. I pick A
    2. I pick B
    3. I pick C

The player picks the dialogue options... 1, 2, or 3... and the corresponding door texture disappear and the player moves forward.

BUT BUT BUT the Gatekeeper NPC is still there... can the player just talk to him again and pick a different option? Now we need to be sneaky on how to prevent this from happening. You have to be creative with stuff... instead of making a specific texture disappear make it where you also add additional blocking textures to the paths you did not take... to prevent players from picking multiple options... be sneaky...
  • lunchtimenowlunchtimenow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Much like ixspar and boydzinj are saying,

- Quest Giver: Three Options, A, B, and C

- Upon choosing any, the Quest Giver gives you an Item named "Option A" or "Option B" or "Option C"

- The rest of the quest is reactive towards what item the player is carrying. Ie, the "A" Door is available because the player has the "Option A" item.
    Y9KrNPv.jpg4MEPTcf.jpg
    NW-DSEGBOHCC & NW-DKSTDEHFF @lunchtimenow
  • nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Much like ixspar and boydzinj are saying,

- Quest Giver: Three Options, A, B, and C

- Upon choosing any, the Quest Giver gives you an Item named "Option A" or "Option B" or "Option C"

- The rest of the quest is reactive towards what item the player is carrying. Ie, the "A" Door is available because the player has the "Option A" item.

The whole giving the player an item or object is completely unnecessary btw. (and I prefer not to, inventory space is limited due to the paying for inventory bags aspect)

The way I set up my alternate paths is just through dialogue options.

Place a different "detail" that blocks the path to each objective, depending on which dialog choice the player chooses, a "detail' disappears allowing the player to advance on the path chosen.

Sadly you can't create separate paths that go to different maps, but you can use 1 big indoor map to create separate paths.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is it possible to have a wilderness where the main dungeon is located, AND several small dungeons that can be explored as well? I'm having some serious problems with this. Perhaps I could use the option of "disappearing invisible walls" to allow access to the individual sites... and upon leaving the "little dungeons" where does the player spawn? Somebody help please!!
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want to make multiple ending type story. I can't seem to do it right. I may have to play with dialog option (some with token) could work, but that does take up inventory space.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's most definitely doable. For example in the start of my tavern quest I'm currently making the "objective" is to "get past the bouncer", to do this you need to get a guild token to prove you have access to the private areas. Players can fight in the basement for a token, steal one from a drunken NPC (if they have thievery skill) or follow one of the guildies when he heads off with the courtesan and still his token from his trousers when he takens them off ;)

When they go back to the bouncer there's a dialogue option that says "Here I have a token", which is only activated when they have a "Token" item in their inventory, then when they choose that dialogue option the Bounce waves them through and the door opens.

Think outside the box.
    Is it possible to have a wilderness where the main dungeon is located, AND several small dungeons that can be explored as well? I'm having some serious problems with this. Perhaps I could use the option of "disappearing invisible walls" to allow access to the individual sites... and upon leaving the "little dungeons" where does the player spawn? Somebody help please!!

You can't go back onto a map once you leave it, so you would have to return to a duplicate of that map. Depending on how many times they have to re-enter your main map from the little dungeons could be a pain (duplicating maps can cause problems). However, your smaller dungeons, depending on their size, might not need to be new maps at all and you could just use the structural caves and/or wall interiors to make the dungeon within your main map.