test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Leveling much too quickly

lordjeorinlordjeorin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I find the pace of leveling much too fast in this game. I gain a level every other pvp match/skirmish/dungeon it seems and every couple of quests too. Heck, I gained a level by praying 3 times. This pace is problematic because the window for doing the dungeons and skirmishes is very small.

Dailies are now requiring 2 skirmishes for credit and I can't even do that many before I'm too high to join. I out leveled a dungeon while I was in it. My cleric was terrible and we couldn't quite beat the last boss, so now I will never finish it. This is completely unacceptable and seems like a waste. Why design all this amazing lower level content if you only get to see it maybe once and then you can't ever do it again?

If you doubled the required experience or halved the experience gain from all activities, the pacing would feel much more natural.
Post edited by lordjeorin on

Comments

• Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You level quickly. You buy zen and full epic gear. After a week you are bored and annoyed with endless weaves of elite minions during boss fights and a fact you have everything. You leave the game. More people like you come into game and the circle repeats. This is how making money works.
  • Options
    lisnarilisnari Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can do all of the content at any level you just need your party to go to the dungeon entrance.

Now finding it is a different story they should all be marked on the map.
  • Options
    songreaver007songreaver007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree I started about a week and a half ago and my GD is already lvl 60 with good gear I didn't even spend that much zen.. Was kinda miffed that they nerfed the Defender over the other classes too as I feel they far outclass the defender in most cases especially pvp. Mind you I don't feel I am horrid at pvp but with the amount of xp it gives (which it shouldnt give any it should only give glory and items) PVP is seriously unbalanced and broken. They should have put a bit of a grind into the game to keep it interesting for a longer period of time.
  • Options
    shinnyshinshinnyshin Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On one hand, yes. On the other, I really appreciate the quick ramp-up time. With most games, the experience starts around max level. Not at all the case here. Another element I really appreciate is how unimportant an individual level is. Levels matter, sure. But it's not like someone 5 levels under can't pull their weight quite feasibly. I'm not sure how long-term sustainable the model is...but given that it starts delivering fun from the short term--contrasted with games that you play solely for the long term--I'm not sure the model has to work for years of gameplay.

One definite problem raised by this fast leveling, though, is that it often prohibits playing with friends. Content is often level-capped and in two extra hours of play, you can be miles ahead of everyone you know. That is something needing a fix.
  • Options
    e11ze11z Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah you can enter any dungeon at any level. you just can't que up for it.

Perhaps increasing the level range for instances -

from level 1 - 20 you can que for all those instances in this range.

from level 20 - 40 you can que up for all those instances in this range.

from level 40 - 60 you can que up for all those instances in this range.

Simple fix and XP / Items won't be a problem as I went in with a level 60 for MD and loot was fine as well as xp.

Not to mention we still managed to wipe the first time. **** that dungeon is OP :P

*edit

Also I reckon putting lvl 60 versions of all areas could be a possibility. Such as a nightmare version of everything.
    But i dunno how difficult or time consuming this would be.
    The Best PVP Guild on Dragon/Neverwinter: YoloOldSkoolSwagLoveNeverGingersLuvDupStep even if it's just one of us, you might as well just afk.
  • Options
    wh0wh0 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People complained hard to level, grinding too much in other MMOs. This game instead offer a little easier leveling and focus on quality content.

Everything u guys also whine. Hard to pacify...
  • Options
    thegodporingthegodporing Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is a fast leveling game. But I like that - it's what kept me playing over a game where I feel like my time isn't progressing me.
    I leveled from 1 to 60 in a 3 day weekend (bank holiday monday ftw) and am enjoying the game an awful lot.

Some games are higher exp than others. That's just how it works.

Note:
    You don't get a level up every other BG. Even at low levels it's at least 3 wins.
  • Options
    nyysjannyysjan Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    The levelling is too fast.
    i'm left Chasm at level 54, and all the mobs there are 49, i missed the Chasm skirmish completely, by the time i entered Chasm i was beinh shunted to the Drow Skirmish instead, i could not queue to the Icespire dungeon because i out levelled by the time i was halfway through the Icespire.

Either make it possible to do Skirmishes when significantly higher level than now or make it possible to do them at level 60 as hardmode versions.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I agree that leveling is way too fast. I hardly get an opportunity to really learn to use my new skills before they're replaced by a brand-new set. While I really don't like the grind of some other MMOs, the pendulum has swung too far with Neverwinter.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    zherran01zherran01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that the pacing of the game is way too fast. I have had to drop daily skirmishes three times now because I can't queue for them any longer. I have also out paced the dungeons for the Mad Dragon and Indris. I think we get way too much experience for doing quests and praying. I guess the real problem, as I see it, is that any activity that grants AD as a reward also provides an inordinate amount of experience.

To start, I would suggest reducing the amount of experience from quests. I don't know what your target number is for the average time to advance a character to maximum level, but a long weekend is just too short a time. I would suggest at least a 30% - 50% reduction if not more.

I would completely remove experience for praying.

Only require one foundry run to complete the daily foundry. My character, since about level 30, must complete 2 foundries to complete the daily foundry requirement. That is almost a level per daily foundry completion. Add daily skirmishes and dungeons and you can rocket up the leveling where content (entire zones) becomes trivial.

You could also give us a toggle switch to turn experience off and on. This is an available feature in EQ 2 and I liked it a lot. It is an easy solution for those that want to enjoy the journey through the game and not miss out on content due to level restrictions and it doesn't hamper those people who want to speed through the game.

Thank you for taking my concern into consideration.
  • Options
    griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think this is intentional on their part. They want you to focus on content of the game as opposed to just leveling. I will say that not only should the dungeons have epic mode, but the skirmishes need them as well. Hello doubling dungeon grinding content.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At a minimum I would like to see them remove experience from invoking. If I want to get a small buff I have to 'risk' gaining XP. XP that can knock you out of queuing for a skirmish, for example.

After that, I wouldn't mind it if they would take it out of leadership missions. Why a character gets XP for sending a mercenary off to do something for 2 hours is a mystery to me.

If they want to make a small downward adjustment across the board after that then I doubt that I would complain.
  • Options
    skreechrskreechr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    As much as I love this game, I kinda have to agree it is fast levelling. Personally if you had a game that took a while to level then I'm pretty sure most people would find it more rewarding. Yes some say the game only starts when you hit lvl 60 or the lvl cap but, if I had a char with epic gear and had nothing else to do on him the only other idea is to roll an alt. Maybe have some sort of lvl to obtain via PvP like a rank that does take a long time and not just a week. or give players something to actually show off. If it took literally over a year of good PvP time to hit neverwinter rank 10 people would respect the rank. Just an idea. War online did well with this giving players renown rank.
  • Options
    griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I do think they should implement ranking and tiered pvp gear like Rift for example. Some type of PvP incentive would be amazing, also they need pvp gear for leveling or something.
  • Options
    shumanfooshumanfoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't have an issue with the faster pace leveling for the most part. Especially as a casual player (growing family takes priority) at least I'll get to explore the content without much grind.

However, what I dislike is how much XP you can get without actually playing the game. If you log in to invoke 1/day for the coins and AD as well as craft leadership for the AD, then over the course of a week you can get quite a bit of xp. I'm already over level for my quests at lvl27 and haven't really done any pvp or dailies.

I see no reason why invoking or crafting should grant character xp.
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    the only issue I see is with skirmishes because unlike dungeon there are no epic versions that you can do at 60. Otherwise I like fast leveling personally.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    they need to make epic lvl skirmishes
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The leveling curve is only kind of "bad" (if you want to call it that) at lower levels. By the time I got into my 40s it started to slow down so you weren't outleveling skirmishes and dungeons that fast. In fact I got impatient and pvped from mid 40s to 60.
  • Options
    smacktrick5smacktrick5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The leveling speed is entirely based on the amount of content the game has. Those that have played dofus (MMORPG with turn based combat) know how it works there. going from lvl 199 to 200 takes as much xp as it takes you from lvl 1 to 199, although obviously you get more xp per fight at lvl 199 than you do at 1, but yeah.
    I have quit the game now, but I used to have 2 level 200 chars on it plus several lvl 180-199 alts (you could easily play multiple chars same time, due to turn based combat) and looking back my experience leveling on all stages of the game was fun as the drops even on lower level dungeons were still significant enough to farm even with your lvl 200s if you were bored. In order to pull off something like that though you need way more content to begin with than NW has. Sure, it took long time for dofus to develop aswel and I doubt max level in NW will forever be capped at lvl 60 either, but my point is that when you create alot of interesting low & mid level content, you can tone down the leveling speed. None of the non-epic dungeons or skirmishes are really worth running, because the xp is bad and the loot is bad - so bad infact that you can buy it almost for free at AH if you want to. Now, if the non epic dungeons actually had interesting BoP loot and useful crafting mats, it would actually be worth running them instead of following the dull questline (or pvp) for xp until you reach lvl 60 and end game.
    imo the leveling speed in NW is fine compared to amount and quality of low to mid game content it has.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I like fast leveling... :eek:
  • Options
    immortaltenzhiimmortaltenzhi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm constantly under-leveled for zones, and occasionally can't continue the quest line without extra grinding because I have to be a level or two higher to accept the next quest.
  • Options
    jvilnisaustjvilnisaust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The leveling is way too fast.

I'm a casual player and in an hour I got my GWF from 48-50 in the first couple areas of the Chasm. No dungeons, skirmishes or PvP at all since I was level 20 and only a foundry now and then for fun.

Been playing for just over 2 weeks now and already level 50 which is way too fast for a casual player. And if a hardcore player can get from 1-60 in a long wekend, it is even worse.