test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeons - no story/quest description at beginning?

gunslingeraus1gunslingeraus1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hey folks

I've done about 5 dungeon runs, and I've noticed that there is no story or quest description when I first join. It's just bam, warp in, start killing stuff, and maybe find some lore on the way. As somebody who loves the narrative, it all feels rather hollow.

Is this how it's supposed to be? I'm used to reading the storyline behind a dungeon in other MMOs before doing a run. Am I missing something in the environment? Could it be that I'm getting grouped with people who have already started the quest, so I'm joining at some point after the start of the dungeon? If that's the case, how do I stop this from occurring, as I'd prefer to do all dungeons from start to finish?

And while I've got you - to those who like to race through dungeons as if they're Sonic the hedgehog on speed, please take your time and slow down if you're grouped with a person who has never done that dungeon before, as they probably want to soak up the atmosphere!
Post edited by gunslingeraus1 on

Comments

• zarkheszarkhes Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    Its not just dungeons, its everything that lacks feeling of D&D.
    We already disscus similiar topic here, feel free to add this good thought there :)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?239401-Do-we-actualy-play-D-amp-D/page9
  • lordofscornlordofscorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can go to the home page and see a brief description or usually going through a zone builds up to the dungeon that's in said zone. But yes, they do seem rather story light.
  • zorpennzorpenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, dungeon is always at the end of the zone, so every quest in that particular zone is introduction (story wise) for dungeon.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey folks

I've done about 5 dungeon runs, and I've noticed that there is no story or quest description when I first join. It's just bam, warp in, start killing stuff, and maybe find some lore on the way. As somebody who loves the narrative, it all feels rather hollow.

Is this how it's supposed to be? I'm used to reading the storyline behind a dungeon in other MMOs before doing a run. Am I missing something in the environment? Could it be that I'm getting grouped with people who have already started the quest, so I'm joining at some point after the start of the dungeon? If that's the case, how do I stop this from occurring, as I'd prefer to do all dungeons from start to finish?

And while I've got you - to those who like to race through dungeons as if they're Sonic the hedgehog on speed, please take your time and slow down if you're grouped with a person who has never done that dungeon before, as they probably want to soak up the atmosphere!
    There is story to each and every dungeon. Everything you do on the questing map leads eventually to dungeon.
    Cloak Tower for example, after batteling all the orcs and killing lesser generals in low level quests you are ordered to deal with main leader in Cloak Tower, there is story to it.
    Besides if you just press F near quest NPCs and spam "1" don't expect to get a solid grasp on anything.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Queue is supposed to be a quick way to get into the content and go. That's the point of it.

If you want the narrative, play the zone content for that dungeon. At the end of each zone, you get a quest to do that dungeon, and get the setup for it.

For full immersion, you can even enter the dungeon via its entrance on the map, if you've got a group together. The Queue is just for convenience.

Soak away. As long as you catch up by the bosses, I doubt your party mates will care if you lag behind.

But you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect people who have done it a bunch of times already to slow down for no apparent reason. And even on a first run, I'd wager that most players don't care to dawdle to "soak up the atmosphere". Most gamers are gamers first, not gawkers.
  • gunslingeraus1gunslingeraus1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    But you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect people who have done it a bunch of times already to slow down for no apparent reason. And even on a first run, I'd wager that most players don't care to dawdle to "soak up the atmosphere". Most gamers are gamers first, not gawkers.

We might as well just run through a plain white tunnel then - to me a huge part of the experience is enjoying the amazing environmental design, which you just can't do when the ADHD kid in your group is two rooms ahead of you. I'd wager that not everybody is in a dungeon just to get the next shiny trinket.
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Besides if you just press F near quest NPCs and spam "1" don't expect to get a solid grasp on anything.

Trust me, I read every scrap of dialogue and story I can find.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Each dungeon links to a zone, so that's where you go if you want the story leading up to it. The queue/dungeon system is meant to be fast action paced stuff. It's entirely optional (you don't even get much of a reward for doing the quest that leads into the dungeon, just a little xp).
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most of the dungeons have some base explanations when you click on them (not the queue option) on the queue page. Most of the story is composed of the quests in the zone that you progress through to the dungeon and the lore objects that you can interact with. Most queue groups skill optional areas unless there is meaningful loot, which generally means you need to make your own group if you want to do a full exploration of a dungeon.
  • justice4justice4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The dungeons are actually explained far better than in most games out there. In many you just run through a couple hallways filled with monsters and wind up at a giant mutant spider-bee that drops epic loot, with no apparent rhyme or reason. However each dungeon here has a whole quest-line leading up to it! It would be nice if there was some dialog or cinematics in the dungeons themselves though...and no the zoom-in on the boss faces at the start of the fights don't count lol. I always like it when the bosses talk (voice, not text) while you're fighting them.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We might as well just run through a plain white tunnel then

It's entirely possible for the environments to add to the experience without standing around staring at them.
    to me a huge part of the experience is enjoying the amazing environmental design, which you just can't do when the ADHD kid in your group is two rooms ahead of you.

And why should your priorities come first? Why should others sacrifice their enjoyment of the game for the sake of yours? And why do you feel it necessary to insult those that simply want to play the game?

I enjoy the game by playing to the best of my ability, as efficiently and as effectively as I can. Games are, at a fundamental level, optimization problems. And I play them as such. But that makes me an "ADHD kid"?

You can lag behind and admire the archways if you want. Most won't care as long as you're there for the boss fights. The trash fights along the way are trivial.

You can also play the 95% of the game that is not Dungeons or Skirmishes and take them as slow as you like.
    I'd wager that not everybody is in a dungeon just to get the next shiny trinket.

I didn't say everybody. I said most. And I stand by that.