test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companion for GWF

kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I have read around a bit, and I see that it is generally thought that Cleric (the generic you get at level 16) is the best companion to Level Up with... Is this the case?

At Level 60 what do people consider the best companion?

What are the thoughts on the:

1. Ioun Stone of Might
2. Cat
3. Angel of Protection
4. Acolyte of Kelemvore
5. Any other suggestion...

Just curious what people have analyzed with them in relation to the GWF class, both leveling up and max at 60. Thanks in advance for your responses!
va8Ru.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    /Bump w/new info!

Blue Ioun Stone
    darkjeff wrote: »
    It's 2000 Zen and augments your character with its own stats. At rank 1 it has +10 to Power, Recovery, and Critical Strike.
    + Stat to Power/Recovery/Crit Strike? Looks like we may have a winner for the key one at level 60! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, you had it right, the best companion to level up with is the cleric...she reduces your potion consumption by a ton and pretty much keeps you ready for battle at all times. The Ioun stone may be a good choice when you are 60 or near then, but if you are actually talking about the grind up to 60, you're going to be better off with the cleric most of the time. With that said, get both and once your cleric is maxed out, just call out the Ioun stone any time you are about to turn in a quest so it can get the xp from it, so when you are ready to swap to it for say dungeons that have cleric party members etc, it will be good to go as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    The Ioun stone may be a good choice when you are 60 or near then....
    Yea, the key stats it pumps are good IMO... Any thoughts on the others I listed above for when you are at 60?
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've heard the Acolyte isn't as good as a Rank 15 limited cleric. Nobody has the Angel yet due to how long it takes to get Ardent Stones. The cat isn't bad to grab depending on the zen/astral diamond exchange rate where going for the zen store stone might be cheaper or more expensive. After upgrade manuals on the companion merchant go live, the cleric usability might go up when they get higher stats and possibly better or more abilities as they rank up from a common (white) companion.
  • Options
    wootywoo101wootywoo101 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been wondering how good the Acolyte is, Id like to have a better healer companion that can level to rank 30 instead of 15. Anyone have some info on this companion?

I have the golem pet atm, trying him out right now. If you dont mind using potions, it does an amazing job at holding threat on the big guy while I destroy the small adds.
    "If living means bowing down to the likes of you HAMSTER, I'd rather die on my feet with my head held high" - Mugen
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    The cat isn't bad to grab depending on the zen/astral diamond exchange rate where going for the zen store stone might be cheaper or more expensive.
    For those too lazy to do the math, the cat (980,000 AD) is equal to the blue Ioun stone (2000 Zen) at an exchange rate of 1:490 Zen:AD. When the rate is 1:491 or higher the cat is cheaper, when the rate is 1:489 or lower the Ioun stone is cheaper.

Both the cat and blue Ioun stone grant the same total amount of bonuses, but the cat is just Critical Strike and Recovery, favoring Critical Strike.

For their innate bonuses, if you're focused on Criticals, the cat can be better. If there are diminishing returns, then the blue Ioun stone is better.

Note also that they have different equipment slots - the blue Ioun stone accepts Icons (Devoted Cleric off-hand), which can potentially leading to a higher total bonus.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been wondering how good the Acolyte is, Id like to have a better healer companion that can level to rank 30 instead of 15. Anyone have some info on this companion?

I have the golem pet atm, trying him out right now. If you dont mind using potions, it does an amazing job at holding threat on the big guy while I destroy the small adds.

Acolyte goes to rank 25, not 30.

She takes some thought and work to make useful. She'll apply a damage protection shield from the start, 10% I think.

Her healing is where it gets tricky. It's based on her life steal stat. The only way to put life steal on her is through equipment and enchantment slots. She takes an icon and two rings.

I've yet to find an icon with a defensive enchantment slot to slot a dark rune. The only way I've found to get it on her is to find rings with defense enchantment slots. Rings can carry either defense or offense (not to say they're interchangeable, they just come in either flavor) and both of her ring slots don't open up until later. One I think at 15 and the other at 20 or 25 I forget which.

After that, she's pretty good but a pain in the butt to set up properly.

You can forget about the Angel of Protection for now. That costs 360 Ardent coins and you get 1 a day. It will take a year of logging in every day and praying before you can get one.

Ioun Stone of Might is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it's green quality which means you can only rank it to 20. The Zen Store Ioun Stone of Allure is blue quality and goes to 25 for better stats.

Cat goes to 25 as well, kind of interchangeable with the Zen store Ioun stone in terms of raw benefit... slight differences amounting to preference really. Search for a thread titled "cat vs ioun stone" I made, someone explained the differences there for me.
  • Options
    supergp17supergp17 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just hit level 40 and the only companion I've used is the Man-at-Arms tank guy. So far, he's been perfect for my play-style. Depending on the enemy, I let him get aggro and I go to town from behind. I probably do use more pots than I would if I had a cleric companion, but at least I don't have to res him in battle nearly as much as I'd assume you would with said cleric. Also, when I get overwhelmed by too many mobs, he holds the fort down long enough for me to kite and get that extra pot in if I need to.