test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What heals are affected by what, and stat choices based off this?

yargnityargnit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Temple
So given that many of our heals seem not affected by crit Im trying to determine if crit over power, and even more-so Str over Wis is really the way to go. Here's my thoughts on each spell, If anyone wants to comment:

Astral Seal: Crit & Power / Neither
Sunburst: Crit & Power
Healing Word: Crit & Power
Sacred Flame: Crit & Power
Hallowed Ground: NA / Neither
Forgemasters: Crit & Power
Bastion: Crit & Power / Neither
Astral Shield: Power / Neither

Am I forgetting any big ones?

I am going a recovery build with Astral Shield, Sunburst, & Hallowed as my main heals. Emphasizing max recovery for Hallowed.

That being said, my thoughts are stick with Crit over power because horrible power ROI, but Wis over Str to buff Hallowed, which is the main non % heal.

Thoughts?
Post edited by yargnit on

Comments

• unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Repurpose Soul and Righteous Rage of Tempus.
    Both of those must be considered in any debate between crit and power.

I mostly agree with what you've said though. Power has a terrible RoI and it also tends to happen by accident.

As for Wis vs. Str there's actually significant value in Stamina Regen from Str. I can't count the number of times I've gotten hit because I'm out of stamina at that time. I don't think I could give up stamina just for a little bit more damage/healing.
  • yargnityargnit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I got a parser working and went back through my logs from Castle Never last night (didn't get the final guy down, but had him under 50% life so it was very doable). Heal %'s for the whole dungeon were as follows:

Astral Shield: 44%
    Moon Touched (Hallowed Ground): 19%
    Sun Burst: 9%
    Potions: 8%
    Re-purpose Soul: 8%
    Invigorated Healing: 6%
    Astral Seal: 4%
    Health Steal: 1%

That was with an effective Crit % of about 33% (Based off Sun Burst and Astral Seal's Crit %)

The other Cleric in the group who ran a Crit build had the following:

Astral Shield: 48%
    Healing Word: 18%
    Sun Burst: 9%
    Potions: 7%
    Invigorated Healing: 6%
    Re-purpose Soul: 6%
    Astral Seal: 3%
    Health Steal: 1%
    Revive: 1%
    Soothing Light: 1%

That was with a Crit % around 41 based off averaging his Healing Word, Sun burst, Astral Seal, and Soothing Light.

Overall I slightly edged him in heals, but it was very even. (within like 2%) Our gear was very closely matched as well.

Overall I'd say what surprised me the most off the parse was that his Healing word did as much as it did. I didn't figure it to be that good at all, but it healed nearly as much as Moon Touched (Hallowed Ground) did. Also Invigorated healing though noticeable, wasn't a huge difference even with both of us running 2 skills that were effected by it. & finally despite him having a higher Crit %, I got significantly (relatively) more healing out of Re-purpose soul than he did because I slotted Divine Glow in my 3rd slot instead of Healing Word which gave me many more hits overall that had a chance to crit and trigger it.

I'm considering if I respec (I don't build enough Divine power in my current spec to run Divine Astral's just off Sunburst) Trying Bastion of Health in the 3rd slot instead of Divine Glow for max heal fights. My head-math says it should hold even or slightly ahead of Healing Word depending on how many people u catch in it, and it will add more Invigorated Healing as well. (If they'd knock 5 seconds off the recast it would be a very good heal IMO) - Note Healing Word is unaffected by Recovery for all practical intents so the more Recovery you get the more the scales would tilt toward Bastion.

Overall, with Astral shield being 50% of our non-potion healing, I think Wisdom & Greater Fortune are more valuable than Str and Weapon Mastery though when the choices come down to it. (Though due to horrible +Power scaling and the huge +Power on our weapons anyway I still agree +Crit is better for gear) Choosing Wisdom over Strength at each option is +4-5% more healing on Astral shield alone, or at least 2% of our overall healing. I don't see the crit making up for that myself. (Though the increased divinity may bring it a tad closer if u can squeeze 1 or 2 extra Divine mode casts out because of it over the duration of a boss fight.

Any more thoughts after all that?
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    WIS doesn't do anything for Hallowed Ground. Also, neither one of you were running FF or ASeal? Those are both staples of my build, and they're the most healing after AS.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    yargnit wrote: »
    Any more thoughts after all that?

Bastion of Health and Divine Forgemaster's Flame as very significant heals and I would hazard a guess that on a party they'd both be able to beat out healing word. Healing words main strength is that it builds up multiple charges while the party is doing nothing. Else wise it's not really that great since it needs targeting and it's a Heal over time so it's effect needs time to build up. Also Astral Seal is missing and that's still a heal when you have DDs hitting down on mobs, considering the amount of damage done also appears to affect how much it heals by.
  • kyomihkyomih Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    Can you share what kind of parser you are using/got working?
    That would be great and thanks for the info :)
  • yargnityargnit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    WIS doesn't do anything for Hallowed Ground. Also, neither one of you were running FF or ASeal? Those are both staples of my build, and they're the most healing after AS.

Yeah I know Wis won't affect Hallowed Ground, but it will affect Astral Shield. And yes we were both running Astral Seal, I just typed Shield twice by mistake. It's fixed now. Seal was 4% and 3% respectively for each of us.

The reason Forgemaster's wouldn't work well in this fight IMO is there's just noway to build Divinity fast enough to cast more than 1 spell in Divinity mode per rotation consistently. I'm basically trying to come up with the best spec for the final boss alone. The rest of the zone is easy by comparison and the healers would be better off slotting a good Dmg or debuff spell to speed it along.

For those of you who haven't pulled the final mob in Castle yet, there's basically 0 time to stand still. Honestly if I'd have had the DoT at will spec'd I'd probably swap it for sacred flame because you'll never get the opportunity to cast on a mob 3x in a row really for it to proc the temp HP. Basically you're spending the fight moving back and forth from 1 edge of the semi-linked Astral Shields to the other, stopping just long enough to throw 1 of your encounter spells when it's up & then getting on the move again before you get demolished by 20+ mobs.

If you're lucky you can throw an Astral Seal on a couple random mobs or maybe even the boss once in a while, but you don't have near enough time to cast your at-wills often enough to build the divinity to use Forgemasters and Astral Shield in Divinity mode together. Eventually you may build up enough spare Divinity to get 1 non-Astral Shield Divinity mode spell off, which you'll use for a Divinity mode Sunburst to try and knock a mob into positioning for your CW to take care of it.

Also you'll never get the downtime to build up multiple charges of Healing Word really, and it's just not a big enough quick-heal to save you or anyone from getting smashed. If you're hitting half health you better be potioning ASAP unless you're damned sure you're safe for a bit because if you guess wrong there's no time usually to reconsider. The main advantage of Healing Would be saving the Rogue that's on the boss some pot's, though again because the damage usually comes in such large spikes they'll be full health till they get almost 1 shotted, at which time they're potioning regardless of if they have a HoT on them because it's too risky to wait for the HoT to heal them, and chance being hit again when they are low.

FYI we went through probably 700 potions and over 100 injury kit's pulling the final boss, got him to 2/3 probably 5 times and about 40% at the lowest.

The other problem with Healing Word is, as you mentioned, it requires targeting. Words can't express how hectic the fight is for Cleric's if you haven't tried it in person. We're talking take your voice-chat off push-to-talk and leave the mic on auto-detect because there's no time to hold down a key to talk, level crazy here. Don't get me wrong, the fight is fun as hell (minus watching your gold fly away in pots/kits), but you'd sure better be on your A-game because you're often trying to position between half a dozen red circles at once while still staying inside your precious rings of avoid-instant-death-ness.

Anyways, I got off topic. Bastion I feel has a strong place in the fight if I can find a build I like that builds enough divinity to let me me dump a divinity builder and still maintain Astral Shield. But I'm still completely undecided on Wis vs Str. It comes down to can Str benfit me enough elsewhere to counteract the hit I take to Astral Shield by removing the Wis. (Also Wis will be a more consistant buff, while Str is more fluctuating. (My heals on average were actually ever-so-slightly larger than the other Cleric who was heavier crit spec'd btw)
  • starman1111starman1111 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, is that right that ASeal only healed for 3-4%? Is it really worth it then?
  • teemoorteemoor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    ASeal is situational. Spellplague last boss and Karrundax for example. When solo healing it and your rogue is soloing the boss you can throw Aseal and considering amounts of damage rogue does and his fast attack speed - it's enough to keep him alive till you, say, get enough DP to spend on FFlame for him.
  • laudon1laudon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, is that right that ASeal only healed for 3-4%? Is it really worth it then?

you may as well put it on. it takes hardly any effort and the opportunity cost of putting it on is maybe 500 damage and 100 temporary health from sacred flame. so yes, IMO it is worth it.
    Lemonade Stand.
    Dragon Guild
  • satorimalsatorimal Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is every interesting and also very well written. Please continue to keep the forum updated as you progress in your investigation.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    yargnit wrote: »
    The reason Forgemaster's wouldn't work well in this fight IMO is there's just noway to build Divinity fast enough to cast more than 1 spell in Divinity mode per rotation consistently. I'm basically trying to come up with the best spec for the final boss alone. The rest of the zone is easy by comparison and the healers would be better off slotting a good Dmg or debuff spell to speed it along.

This really depends on your feats/passive. Given that Divinity pretty much out does everything else on importance and that forgemaster's flame also applies slow it's fairly strong in regards to healing. The reason I don't think healing word is great is because of it's single target behavior, there are several feats that work best with AoE spells and Forgemaster's flame is one of the best for an AoE to hit all your party members with due to the multiple ticks. However if it's not your play style than that is probably that.