test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not enough armor's visual variety ?

blackphoenixbgblackphoenixbg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Currently im level 42 cleric.. and during the whole time i've worn and seen no more than two different looking helmets.
That's quiet a low number of options if it's all there is at that level..

It's worse armor wise. I've seen like 2 armors so far - with very minimal variations like having a shoulder plate or a ribbon here and there - but in the end it's always the same armor.. and it's really getting boring.

So is the variety on visuals horribly low or it's just me..
Post edited by blackphoenixbg on

Comments

• Options
    magdev0magdev0 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're getting bored of the game because you're tired of looking at your character wearing the same armor for too long, maybe you should find a new game, or a new genre, maybe a new hobby? Clothing designers get to see tons of different outfits.
  • Options
    xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    magdev0 wrote: »
    If you're getting bored of the game because you're tired of looking at your character wearing the same armor for too long, maybe you should find a new game, or a new genre, maybe a new hobby? Clothing designers get to see tons of different outfits.

Lol what? I don't even....

I have to agree with the OP. I found the lack of different armour visuals a bit disappointing. Here's hoping they add more variety in the future.
  • Options
    akikisaragiakikisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is actually one of my biggest gripes, the lack of variety of armor where a level 40 looks hardly any different than a newb.
  • Options
    kaladinrahlkaladinrahl Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is one thing that should be heavily a micro transaction feature of the game. Make everyone look identical and charge for clothes/arm
  • Options
    thumperrrthumperrr Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well my weapons as rogue changed model at level 40 -59 and then another change at 60. But i'm quite sure it will be out more :)
  • Options
    pw3ckapw3cka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree with OP, but to me it's somehow some style of new MMORPGS? There was no game lately with a good variety of items designs.

And honestly NW is maybe the worse i have seen.

And I do not understand this, would it be hard to do a color generator, or add small thing here and there.

Having a variety in design creates a good and healty economy..

As I said, I really do not understand why is it so poor in this game, and yep it sux a lot ;)
  • Options
    istianisistianis Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2013
    besides that , i got a feeling greens are not even random. 5 necklaces dropped in group dungeon , after iding , they all had the exact same stats.

When oh when will i find a game with a completly random generator for items. I even dislike sets because they have set stats instead of total randomness.

OT: i guess they do that to get revenue later on when they start selling alot of skins or so...
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are quite a few design variations even at low levels, mostly subtle but there are. The whole system has been thought with dyes in mind, that's why. If you die your armour they can look very different. Also by lvl 28 (not 40 o 50) my GF has already changed various type of armours (including 2 different kind of helms and 4 different shields).
    Crafting helps a lot from that point of view but remember this is D&D, not wow or some korean game.
  • Options
    xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    There are quite a few design variations even at low levels, mostly subtle but there are. The whole system has been thought with dyes in mind, that's why. If you die your armour they can look very different. Also by lvl 28 (not 40 o 50) my GF has already changed various type of armours (including 2 different kind of helms and 4 different shields).
    Crafting helps a lot from that point of view but remember this is D&D, not wow or some korean game.

Lol you can't use the "... remember this is D&D, not wow or some korean game"

You do realise that with D&D, armour would be even more personalised than most. You get a standard "Plate Armour" true, but then there's is a **** ton of item's and armour models that can be made.

You can even personalize said armour, example:

In my recent P&P D&D Campaign, our Ranger managed to skin this big *** Dire Wolf we had just killed. When we ventured back to this nice city, she found a tanner / leather worker that was able to treat the Dire Wolf skin and add it to her armour as a cloak.
  • Options
    lymprechtlymprecht Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    xylithan wrote: »
    Lol you can't use the "... remember this is D&D, not wow or some korean game"

You do realise that with D&D, armour would be even more personalised than most. You get a standard "Plate Armour" true, but then there's is a **** ton of item's and armour models that can be made.

You can even personalize said armour, example:

In my recent P&P D&D Campaign, our Ranger managed to skin this big *** Dire Wolf we had just killed. When we ventured back to this nice city, she found a tanner / leather worker that was able to treat the Dire Wolf skin and add it to her armour as a cloak.

I journeyed deep into a dungeon today and fought a werewolf, or a guy who led some wolves, or something like that I couldn't really tell. It was a long fight and once dead I found these manticore seals. So we left and went back in, woah ho! He was back. So we killed him again, and again. I had amassed a nice little stack of of these manticore seals and so I went back to town and tickled a merchant into giving me a necklace in exchange for 20 of my seals.

Turns out that necklace looks like a super hero cape.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lymprecht wrote: »
    I journeyed deep into a dungeon today and fought a werewolf, or a guy who led some wolves, or something like that I couldn't really tell. It was a long fight and once dead I found these manticore seals. So we left and went back in, woah ho! He was back. So we killed him again, and again. I had amassed a nice little stack of of these manticore seals and so I went back to town and tickled a merchant into giving me a necklace in exchange for 20 of my seals.

Turns out that necklace looks like a super hero cape.

Wow. I noticed that some different necklaces have different look on your character (if they are visible, depends from the armour).

To the guy talking about p&p D&D... well yeah I can imagine in your mind you can do a lot of things of that kind... in a PC game though, it ain't that easy. But my point was, don't expect clown costumes (unless you want to make one by yourself using dyes)
  • Options
    foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They definately do need a lot more armor visualisations.

I have found a few different bits and bobs for my cleric, though i do like the gear it seems the progression is not visual but additional:

Start with less armor, as you go up you get more padding, heavier armor, etc.

Still, i would like more.
    Kitsunami Lupo
    Head of PR
    http://www.gamersaurs.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    foxwater wrote: »
    They definately do need a lot more armor visualisations.

I have found a few different bits and bobs for my cleric, though i do like the gear it seems the progression is not visual but additional:

Start with less armor, as you go up you get more padding, heavier armor, etc.

Still, i would like more.

You can't ever have too much variety. But I agree, the armours seem to 'grow' organically. If you use dyes, this is more evident (you don't need to apply the dyes, you can just preview them). The PITA is that once dyed a piece of armour can't be used to 'skin' another equivalent piece...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Would you prefer changing armor design every few levels that don't match at all?

That's one thing I hate about oldschool MMOs. None of the armor match with one another! Even with dyes, sometimes the patterns don't go well with one another and that bothers me!

But what I love about Neverwinter is that my character always has matching armor! Every 10 levels or so, my armor design will change slightly to show that I'm progressing and that's good enough for me!
  • Options
    bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is one thing that should be heavily a micro transaction feature of the game. Make everyone look identical and charge for clothes/arm

Ayup. I do like the slow progression of the armor appearance from utility to darn nice, but more cosmetic items including armors would be welcome.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • Options
    wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This complaint is the same one I had for SWTOR, and I have it again for Neverwinter. Why is World of Warcraft the only game that understands that people want there items to look different on their character when they get a new item?

The lack of Armor appearance variety was one of the main reasons that led me to quit SWTOR. I do not mind as much in this game, because I think this game is much better than SWTOR. But it definitely sucks.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pw3cka wrote: »
    And honestly NW is maybe the worse i have seen.

Not sure how anyone can say that, EQ2 had the worst i've ever seen. Ugly, unimpressive armors all across the board and they never ever seemed to change.

Here you see more looks, mostly at cap, but people also seem to forget that there are more unique looks at the vendors. I have a wizards hat that i got from the AD vendor, and have yet to see anyone else wear it. (could be because hair goes away totally, they should fix that)
  • Options
    pw3ckapw3cka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wolfrat14 wrote: »
    This complaint is the same one I had for SWTOR, and I have it again for Neverwinter. Why is World of Warcraft the only game that understands that people want there items to look different on their character when they get a new item?

The lack of Armor appearance variety was one of the main reasons that led me to quit SWTOR. I do not mind as much in this game, because I think this game is much better than SWTOR. But it definitely sucks.

Yep SWTOR blah, not only the top end armors designs were really, really crappy.. But the 3 different tiers were distinguished only by colors :D

I agree it should not be totally crazy so you have then hard time to make your character looking decent. But some variety is good, definitely NW could benefit from having more..