test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unnerving Portal - Would like feedback

vlayde9vlayde9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
A unknown portal has manifested somewhere and you have been chosen to find who or what is behind it.

Unnerving Portal: NW-DMTFHPK4D
1. Solo oriented quest
2. Heavily combat based
3. Average is around 15 mins

My first quest and would really appreciate some reviews.

Here's a SS from one of the areas
X4UgFco.jpg
Post edited by vlayde9 on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    made some changes
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    trying to get atleast 20 plays on this so it's eligible for the daily
  • Options
    atiaxiatiaxi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    You know, I thought this was one of those 'trade reviews' threads, but upon further inspection it's not. Oh well, since I've already played your mission I might as well share my notes:

- Kinda strange to make me walk through all that empty hallspace

- Millan: "they have sense a new portal emerged somewhere in a arctic area" -> "they have sensed a new portal emerging somewhere in an arctic area"

- Millan: "venture to the cave that dwells this portal" needs rewording

- Oh, that fancy thing in the middle of the big room isn't the portal? Because it sure looks like that's the case initially.

- The village is placed on the map 'in' neverwinter, which doesn't really match the arctic description

- I like that the natives are not (immediately) hostile

- It's not even remotely obvious how to get up to where the portal cave is. The glowy line is no help (I know you have no control over this) - maybe move it somewhere easier to spot? (Later: I found the 'stairs')

- Local native: "a sign from our ancesters" -> "sign from our ancestors"

- Dialog in general needs work. Ex: on the next entry there's:
    ...no one has been allowed in except those chosen by the Shaman.

For it is the Shaman..."
    Seems an unnecessary break in the sentence, let alone in the paragraph.

- Ascending this pillar is... boring. There's nothing going on here except the boss fight at the top. And then I have to /descend/ the pillar. Descent is hard because a number of the rocks don't line up for easy drop-down; I took falling damage a number of times.

- The shaman doesn't really explain why everyone's suddenly hostile. Is it because I'm intruding, or because whatever the portal's doing is making them that way?

- I defeated another guardian - it tells me to reach the portal but I thought I was already there? There are 5 things with the default "fx-lightning portal 1" label here. They do nothing when I interact with them.

- An indicator of how far along I am in the waves of enemies coming out of the portal would be handy. E.g. objective names like "Push back invaders (wave 3/5)"

- Nice FX work on the mindflayer boss fight!

- Millan: "I truelly thank you" -> "I truly thank you"
    --
    My foundry campaign "In Thrall to the God of Rage":
    Crumorn the Spiked: NW-DCDX6KMED
    Nerisatis the Cold: NW-DNIEWE95D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wow. I know I'm replying late but that's some great notes and I'm really grateful. I released a more polished version and hopefully will be done soon. I'll try to pay you back in kind by playing your quest.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I played through the Foundry quest with my L45 Guardian Fighter, using just the cat and no healer companion. Below are my Quick Impressions. :)

What it is
    After being instructed by the head of a secret council, the player embarks on an adventure into the arctic regions. The quest is a standard dungeon crawl with medium combat that is very manageable by a solo player. The mobs are remarkably melee-friendly.

What I liked
    The cave design is well done and atmospheric, and I enjoyed the type of monsters chosen. There were interesting light effects that I found mesmerizing. The whole theme appealed.

What could be improved
    The beginning of the quest is both confusing (quest text should state which sever entrance) and there is too much pointless running around at the start. Arriving in the village seemed initially disconnected; perhaps the player could speak to one of the natives upon arriving? The narrow passage with the long row of unavoidable traps could do without the traps since the only purpose is to eat up a potion.

All in all
    A standard dungeon/cave crawl with a fairly standard story, but the atmospheric scenery and well-chosen props of the main location as well as the bite-sized, non-frustrating enemy groups make for an enjoyable, light, combat-centric adventure.

(Name: Unnerving Portal, NW-DMTFHPK4D)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the awesome feedback. Let me know if you have any quests you need reviewed.

I did some changes, it's now eligible for the daily.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think I'm finally done with this quest, granted no one finds anything wrong with it. I would love to add more detail to the main map but I hit the object limit. This quest also has sound/music effects for when they eventually get fixed.