test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trading Reviews

worndownworndown Member Posts: 13 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Welp, time to release my first map and do some review trading. I should warn people though as I can be really picky as I hope others are with mine. Also, as this goes both ways, please be constructive and honest. My reviews will be short and to the point. If I find it necessary I will post images/etc if you have a thread for your map.

*Map Information (currently in the review tab)
Map name: Vertigo: Lethalia Lost
Map ID: NW-DBLUCGR2T

Notes:
- The story could be more elaborate and will evolve in time. (not the best story writer)
- Map can be long if certain circumstances evolve. (you'll find out)
- I don't plan on adding much more detail to the map as it is almost maxed out at 1467/1500.
- Companions have issues with the paths here. But, can still help.

I've played this a few times on every job and noted that in the game. I find that having some pots/altars can help along the way. My main is a TR with a healer companion and it wasn't overly difficult when I was patient. Rushing certain things got me killed on every job.

From NOW ON if you don't have a thread about your map I will send my reviews in-game AND in a PM to the author to avoid any confusion.

*Below are the status on the maps I need to review. No need to read further.*
To Review:
Any cave can lead to Adventure: NW-DQF4T7QYH

A Nobleman's Request - NW-DIYMYKKVY

Cult of the Dragons

Descendants of Delehna
Post edited by worndown on

Comments

• coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Any cave can lead to Adventure: NW-DQF4T7QYH It's published and no longer locked, feel free to test the first 2 wings of the first in my Dungeon Delve campaign. Hoping to have the full dungeon finished by Friday. There is no "over arching" story but rather a dungeon you stumble upon that has it's own narrative. Again it is only about half done, with the major boss encounter, and at least 1 full wing of the dungeon still closed off to players.

It's only at a test stage, so expect it to be a bit short. Also please be brutally honest with any holes or issues.

I'll head in to play yours right after dinner.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • slaidzslaidz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Mine is in my sig. I'll play yours when I get a chance.
    edited May 2013
    I'll try again later but after 14 attempts I'm just pissed off right now.. I love the concept but either the spacing is wrong or something but the jumps are consistantly "right there" at the edge of possible so if you don't do it 100% right you fall. and with no teleport having to run the ENTIRE map up again gets down right frustrating. Everything else was fun up until I kept falling.

Couple small notes, you have some ramps/platforms where tree branches/leaves stick up through them and offer collision, this means I have a small leaf that sticks through and I stop walking forward like there was a wall there. The encounter at the very bottom is too close to the npc, as such when combat starts they rush past the player to the npc. When the jumps are made, about half the time the companion fails to follow, nothing you can do about that but worth mentioning as an OOC on your intro so players expect it.

Lighting and effects are awesome. Only think I might suggest is break it up with teleports that unlock when the player reaches certain waypoints so they don't have to re-climb the whole thing on every single missed jump as well as perhaps even breaking it up across multiple maps. There is ALOT all in one small area and while it doesn't feel cluttered due to your vertical spacing it certainly plays mary hob with the npc pathing and companion AI.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • worndownworndown Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Level Review: Any cave can lead to adventure

Issue:
    - Quest name: Any cave can lead to adventure
    - Name on the Map: A Storm and a Deep Hole
    Suggestion: These should relate or be the same.

The Map change from lake to shelter says:
    Press F to Perhaps this cave will provide some shelter from the storm.
    Suggestions:
    - “Press F to enter this shelter.”
    - “Press F to escape the storm.”
    - Would be neat if there were multiple shelters which could collapse along the way to finding the right one.

Notes: I would move the spawn point away from the shelter and assume that the den was occupied by wolves. Then put wolves in the path of it giving the player something to fight along the way. Plus adds to the atmosphere.

Investigate the flickering light:
    - I didn’t have to. I walked past and it advanced the quest. Make it so you have to actually interact with the object. Looks like you are using a reach point.

OK! Here is where I get brutal:
    I think I had to fight a whole 15ish mobs to complete the level. I stumbled upon the reward chest which completed the level instantly even though I didn’t explore the entire area. I’m guessing another reach point was used. I spent more time transitioning through areas then spending time exploring or killing mobs. Always keep the reward at the end of a dungeon. Not half way through where you can walk up to it and complete the level. Make it so you have to kill mobs first in the quest line.

Suggested changes: Reduce the map transitions. It could be a transition from the outside to escape the weather to the dungeon eliminating the middle map as nothing really happens there. I went in as a 17TR with a cleric companion and I was never in any danger. Far to easy style of mobs.

No proper door exit once you claim the reward.

The good: You do have a good look on detail. The small halls could use some more though. Mob placement is good and looks like you took the time to put them in their spots instead of just anywhere. So you attn to detail is fine. Just have to work out the storyboard.
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    I'll try again later but after 14 attempts I'm just pissed off right now.. I love the concept but either the spacing is wrong or something but the jumps are consistantly "right there" at the edge of possible so if you don't do it 100% right you fall. and with no teleport having to run the ENTIRE map up again gets down right frustrating. Everything else was fun up until I kept falling.

You are correct that it does take time to learn. Better to jump a lil late then a lil early. Plus you have to look at the rocks/ledges to see the 'points' and use them as your focus to land on.

Wish we could unlock teleports that way our I would add them to save progress up the climb. But we are limited to that so not possible.

Thanks for the review!
  • ganker3ganker3 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Check my Foundry if you can. I'll play and review one made by you just in a second.

Quest Name: Cult of the Dragons
    Short Code: NW-DSTLFFQ5K
    Duration: 10-20 minutes.
  • daezodaezo Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    I will trade with ya...

click my signature below to get the information.
    to view foundry quest click on campaign name
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for your review but it seems you missed the intro and the part where I specifically say you are only seeing PART of the dungeon. Alot of the content wasn't ready to be published so the door where the "end chest" is located was turned into a fake door to gate the rest of it off.

You are completely right that it's currently designed to be a little on the easier more lighthearted side and will likely stay that way by design. It's not intended to be combat heavy like some of the maps. Did you find either of the "hidden" rooms?
  • upskirtupskirt Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    hey, please take some time to review my foundry quests. they are in my signature. I'll review yours shortly.

thanks in advance.
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    Thanks for your review but it seems you missed the intro and the part where I specifically say you are only seeing PART of the dungeon. Alot of the content wasn't ready to be published so the door where the "end chest" is located was turned into a fake door to gate the rest of it off.

You are completely right that it's currently designed to be a little on the easier more lighthearted side and will likely stay that way by design. It's not intended to be combat heavy like some of the maps. Did you find either of the "hidden" rooms?

I didn't find any hidden rooms cause I ran across the end point which completed the quest. From there on I didn't feel like I wanted to adventure anymore as I got the reward. Sorry.
  • slaidzslaidz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just finished, but for whatever reason, unfortunately, I couldn't review.

Honestly, this was awful. Just so tedious, boring, and so much harder than it had to be. It took me two tries to climb to the house. The first time I got midway and then went on a skirmish. Second time I climbed up to the house only to have to talk to some random NPC. Third time I got all the way, began climbing down, and got stuck on a floating platform and had to jump down. Girl transform into fire things and that was great (sarcasm).

Fights were boring and tedious. They weren't difficult so you added a ton of ****. You also mislabeled some monsters. No one's going to want to play this and thank God for that. Like I said in the beginning, I really wish I could have left a review because I would have clearly warned people not to play this.

2/5 for some semblance of a quest.
    edited May 2013
    slaidz wrote: »
    I just finished, but for whatever reason, unfortunately, I couldn't review.

I have to apologize as my review of your map was cut off due to that crazy form bug when using " in a message. But, I had a great post on how I though your quest could have changed and could have been made better. But, now... No point even bothering trying to help you when you just troll-bash my map w/o anything constructive. I asked for Constructive Criticism. If you are not capable of that then don't bother.

No one learns anything from bashing on a map. Regardless of the reason. And anyone who actually got my PM reviews of the maps I have played tonight will admit that I give good constructive reviews. You have failed at that.