test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Concerning the release of 'Eladrin'

dugansonduganson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
edited May 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
I'd like to to convince the NWO team to rename the 'Eladrin' race, whenever it is released.

As some of you may know in Forgotten Realms 4th Edition D&D the Sun, Moon and Star Elves have been rolled up into the Player's Handbook 1 race 'Eladrin'. In the PHB1 Eladrin are billed as natives to the Feywild (FR calls it Faerie) who are the progenitor race of the Elves. In FR 4E the Sun, Moon and Star Elves are Eladrin that never retreated to Faerie or Evermeet, but are still considered Eladrin for game mechanics purposes.

Originally Eladrin where a subset of Angels; Angelic servitors of the Good deities. This had been the official lore in Forgotten Realms since its inception, though their use in canon literature and game modules was limited.

To call Sun, Moon and Star Elves 'Eladrin' in game would be to break lore consistency, as there is already a thing called Eladrin.

I suggest that, when Cryptic releases the race, they be billed as 'High Elves'. In FR lore High Elf is a name given over to all Sun and Moon Elves to differentiate them from their more uncivilized cousins (Wood, Wild, Sea elves and Avariel). While the Star Elves of the Suildeyuir were not called High Elves and they fit the bill for being called Eladrin the most, for consistency's sake the should also be called High Elves or not be added at all.

Of course the name itself calls back to Tolkein's representation of the Folk of Rivendell (called 'High Eves') and the Folk of Mirkwood (called 'Green Elves'). This, I think, is a nice continuing homage to the man whom created the genre and inspired the creator of this world.

Please sign if you agree, your input is also warmly welcomed,

Duganson
Post edited by duganson on

Comments

• dugansonduganson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    I apologize if my reasoning wasn't clear; Simply put its a question of lore and consistency. Mechanically they can work just like 4E Eladrin but they should NOT be called Eladrin. Eladrin are angels.

Thanks Shahualing, going to edit the original to clarify.
  • blitterpongblitterpong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ermmm I have a FR novel that has a Eladrin noble as the antagonist. She is described to be very brutal and chaotic in nature, sicing her shadowhound to hunt humans for sport.
    [SIGPIC]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/keuven/ghettosig2-2.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Strive ceaselessly to dominate your environment.

Be merciless in the execution of your duties, and show no pity to the weak.

Respect tradition and authority.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I imagine it'd be up to WotC to decide that...

Current (4e) lore is that the Noble Eladrin (the Outsiders from Arvandor) are more powerful forms of the Tel-quessir, infused with the fey powers of Arvandor and the Feywild. The High Elves began using the term Eladrin to refer to themselves after the Feywild came closer to Toril during/after the onset of the Spellplague, where they were reunited with their Feywild-native kin.
  • dugansonduganson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    I imagine it'd be up to WotC to decide that...

Probably true, but I thought I might try to drum up some fervour.
    edited May 2013
    Ultimately its a question of familiarity. People are familiar with high elves, they know them through games and modules and novels. The same cannot be said for eladrin.
    As there has been little interest, though, I think the community might see it that way Shahualing.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Possibly a skewed vote (not sure what the makeup is of people who read the D&D Next blogs, though I'd assume that 4e players, used to parking at WotC's website for new Dragon content, would be the plurality, at least at first, followed by those primarily interested in seeing what D&D Next has in store), but in a December 2012 poll discussing D&D Next cosmology, core-4e's take on Eladrin (just the high elves) took the plurality vote, followed closely by what was described in the blog accompanying the poll (similar to post-Spellplague Eladrin, very similar to 4e's Eladrin, with Ghaeles and Bralani as more powerful Eladrin residing within the Feywild). Sticking to 2nd edition's scheme (Noble Eladrin only) took last.

The blog containing the poll is here, while the results were tallied in the subsequent blog (itself about Elementals), here.