test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF: questions seeking answers, and advice!

aramyllaramyll Member Posts: 119 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Ok so as ive been playing since head start on my GWF I had the standard experience, had some slow low levels, crappy mid levels, and improving late game, but there are some things that are starting to bother the hell out of me lately, specially now that gear is becoming more and more common, and strategies and niches are being discovered.

Attack animations: I have noticed that all of the GWF attack animations and sequences are much slower than any other class. "But you are using a 2H weapon its only natural" no it's not at level 60 we can have 25+ STR that means that we should be able to swing that weapon as if it were a stick. Hell you should be able to punch through walls with this type of STR rating. Now I have read forums and seen videos of people using Sprint to cancel our animations and move around much easier seeing as the GWF is stapled to the spot whenever they do any attack, but it feels like an exploit to me more than anything. I have noticed that most of our encounter powers have a 1-2 sec animation cast time, this severely affects us in pvp, when you approach an enemy player do your power only to see it go half way through the animation and then u get stunned, knocked back, etc. Shouldn't we have these abilities be a bit swifter?Any thoughts and comments?

I have had instances when I use my encounter powers against other players and i hear the attack connect (for example the thump from takedown) and then the enemy dodges a good 1 second later, this has happened with pretty much all of my encounter powers. Could this be in game lag? personal connection issues ? ??

Sprint: I love sprint, getting from point A to point B faster than everyone else is awesome. But I feel that our stamina drains too fast, with both short bursts and long strides. Also I have noticed that whenever I use my sprint ability it takes 2-3 seconds for the stamina to begin charging again and it charges very slowly, this is different from other classes ??? I think so. I have a CW as well and im able to teleport 3 times in a row 4 with a brief pause between each tele. and the cw stamina recharges pretty fast. I don't believe I have any stamina regen talents on my CW (cant check im at work) same thing on my GWF. Anyone else notice this ? Should be easy to test out I guess just have two or more people stand side by side and use their shift abilities and see which one goes farther and which one can use it again sooner. Why is it that GWF's have sprint but it offers no utility towards dodging attacks, avoiding spells, removing CC (granted unstoppable removes said CC). But still we lack any real means of dodging out of harms way but still stay in the fight.

Determination(Unstoppable): Great mechanic love going ape **** on mobs, but in PVP determination seems to charge differently than in PVE?? When a PVE mob hits me for 5k-10k damage its instant charge up of my determination bar, but in PVP I get stunned then nuked and my bar only fills half way is this working as intended??? Also aren't we supposed to activate Unstoppable at any time ? is daze supposed to counter the use of Unstoppable ?? I thought unstoppable was supposed to be capable of breaking all cc and make you immune? I know that when you are prone you cant use it but dazed??

Damage: At first the GWF is very disappointing in damage, it seems that no matter what you do you end up feeling like your not really contributing to the instance or questing, since most mobs die before you can get your 2nd swing off. Of course that changes at higher levels when you have swarms of mobs rush you and mobs have a tad bit more hit points. But our single target damage still sucks. I find it a bit underwhelming that with a 2h weapon and 25+ STR the GWF hits for so little. Now at lvl 60 in pvp now that I am a bit more geared I am finding that I can hit a lot harder and crit a lot harder specially with a specific build, weapon, and armor. But the problem is that it does not compare to the other classes. Combine that with the fact that other classes abilities have 10x more utlity that ours plus they can dodge OUR attacks and we have a nice recipe for a dead GWF. Its a bit ridiculous that with a full Unstoppable bar being spent I now get critted for 25k- 30k, WTF is that, and they are using encounter powers mind you, with dailies it goes even higher. On a good day I was able to hit a debuffed wizard with crescendo for 21k once and only once. But then I faced off against the same wizard again and got critted for almost 30k with his daily. Mind you I have 23k H. I just don't see this as being balanced and fair.

Sadly I don't have access to my spec atm but its the standard destroyer spec with 10 pts in sentinel.

At will
WMS
SS

Encounters
flourish
IBS
TD

daily
Slam
crescendo
Post edited by aramyll on

Comments

• Options
    daedracdaedrac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Imo swings shouldn't be faster, they should hit harder. The delay in encounters is terrible, and the constant dodges was unbearable. Luckily I figured how to counter it. I'm not giving it away as I want it under-appreciated but check your powers.
  • Options
    aramyllaramyll Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So you post to say you found a work around but wont post it??? Is it the quick shifting maneuver to cancel out the attack animation ??? Come on man share :D
  • Options
    daedracdaedrac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    I've posted it other places lol.. look around level 30-40 (I think, can't see my encounters right now)

it's a movement encounter..
  • Options
    churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    He keeps posting about Punishing Charge.

"The class is fine, you only need to swap an Encounter to game the same versatility as other classes (minus that it doesn't avoid CC)."

I don't even mind Sprint, getting hit lets me keep Unstoppable up. Pretty much all other aspects of GWF are weak, from At-Wills to Encounters to Dailies they are all weak. Because of how the GWF plays, I think increasing the At-Will damage alone would fix the class, but since it (or anything else) won't be fixed it's sort of moot to discuss.