test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rare Profession Tasks?

nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 483 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I keep seeing rare Profession tasks under Leadership, but they're all less gain per unit time than the common ones - often less gain total than a shorter common task. Is there a reason to pursue these that I'm missing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• levitatemelevitateme Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump.

I had the exact same question and a quick search hasn't revealed an answer.
    Currently working on : Shopping Mall Security (NW-xxxxxxxxx)
    Author of the LGBT quest: Alternative Entertainment (NW-DHQPDNBZM)
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe bug them when you see them? I noticed that myself. I think it was 6 or 8 hours for 200 AD for the rare task but the common task gives 400 AD in 4 hours.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pumlekpumlek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Certainly the description of the rare tasks seems to show that they are inferior in every way to the standard tasks. And certainly my small sample size of trying them out has not contradicted that. I'm hopeful that they somehow increase the chance of some upgrade of the results, but I fear it's just a bug they haven't bothered to do anything about.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this is a Leadership profession only issue at the moment. Only thing I can say is bug the ones with the name of the task, rewards for task, and duration of task when you find ones that don't make as much sense.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The rare tasks seems to be the only way to get the very large chest.
  • lolfacemclollolfacemclol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The rare tasks seems to be the only way to get the very large chest.

So, you can get rewards thats not listed?

Here is an example:
    rare_tasks.png

In the time it takes to do the rare task "assist local wizard", you could do the non rare caravan protecting nine times.

Rare task x 1: 200c, 450xp, 300 rough AD, 40 leader xp.
    Normal task x 9: 900c 675xp, 1800 rough AD, 260 leader xp.

Granted, you have to refresh every 2 hours, so if you are away for a day, or you know, have a life ;) the 18 hours makes sorta sense. Still, seems wierd to me.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not just rare tasks, pretty much all the tasks are set up to reward better if you can push the button all day.

Skinner box.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • suppokosuppoko Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    It's not just rare tasks, pretty much all the tasks are set up to reward better if you can push the button all day.

Skinner box.

How so? I am still doing lower level stuff so I don't have all the quests open yet but it appears to me the 2h quests give the highest RoI. Please correct me if I am wrong here. I would also think that it SHOULD give you better rewards for the shorter quicker quests than the click once every couple hours since it takes more time and effort.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, you can get rewards thats not listed?

Here is an example:
    rare_tasks.png

In the time it takes to do the rare task "assist local wizard", you could do the non rare caravan protecting nine times.

Rare task x 1: 200c, 450xp, 300 rough AD, 40 leader xp.
    Normal task x 9: 900c 675xp, 1800 rough AD, 260 leader xp.

Granted, you have to refresh every 2 hours, so if you are away for a day, or you know, have a life ;) the 18 hours makes sorta sense. Still, seems wierd to me.

If you look at all the available tasks available not just the ones you qualify for, then at the higher levels there are rare tasks that forms one map to the other type which is not available through the normal tasks and the highest levels have rare tasks that require a bunch of refugees or siege weapon to get a very large chest. The rare tasks before level 10 usually suck.
  • riderpride81riderpride81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *shrugs* If it's a bug, I imagine they'll get around to it eventually. As it stands, the examination of the issue I believe is spot on though, some of the rare ones at the moment aren't giving as much as some of the more common tasks in Leadership, but this would likely get classified as a non-essential bug, since it doesn't directly affect gameplay really (some arguments could be made for it, but honestly, it really doesn't it's not required in order to advance through the game, and the rewards are still being given at least).

Just keep submitting those bug reports, keep an eye on patch notes, and all will be well in due time. Just gotta be patient.
  • danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suppoko wrote: »
    How so? I am still doing lower level stuff so I don't have all the quests open yet but it appears to me the 2h quests give the highest RoI. Please correct me if I am wrong here. I would also think that it SHOULD give you better rewards for the shorter quicker quests than the click once every couple hours since it takes more time and effort.

While it takes more effort in terms of sitting in front of a computer, I think most people would expect some sort of economy of scale when you deploy your resources out for 12 or 18 hours.
  • thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, i think its just lower level stuff. I am mid level (13) leadership ( I went with Platesmithing to 20 first) And I am starting to see some better rare ones.

Still I would like to see the leadership tasks gone over and balanced out because at 60, the xp rewards are useless. I am only looking at leadership xp, and good time to LXp ones are few and between, considering i have 8 Profession tasks to use. Its kinda a bummer to send out 3 for each training only.
  • senseijohnsenseijohn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    How does one get the infantry sword / armor and catapult? Are they crafted, rewards? I've only ever seen them on the AH.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    senseijohn wrote: »
    How does one get the infantry sword / armor and catapult? Are they crafted, rewards? I've only ever seen them on the AH.

The worn sword/armor you can get from the supply merchant in protector city. the Catapult I have no idea. Most of the rare tasks I've done will give you something you'll need for other tasks.
  • capnorgecapnorge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can get "worn" versions of some of the items for all crafts from the professions vendor that's in the market interior.
  • senseijohnsenseijohn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    Thanks... any idea how to get the Green or Blue versions? The armor and sword - besides being neccessary for several tasks - also provide a quality bonus... but I'm not sure what that does... better rewards?
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks... any idea how to get the Green or Blue versions? The armor and sword - besides being neccessary for several tasks - also provide a quality bonus... but I'm not sure what that does... better rewards?

theres a leadership box in the zen store and you can get leadership packs from nightmare boxes, both those have higher end stuff possible up to purple even.
    edited May 2013
    The Siege Engine (Catapult) is a common task that appears at about level 18. The Siege Engine is a consumable. I assume the Green Weapon and Armor are through the Asset Pack from the C-Store for $16. Haven't seen anything higher.