test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the purpose of traps?

stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
You know looking at traps... at first blush it seems like a awesome idea, but in practice traps in the game are pretty much joke-worthy; people rush through them, take the damage and yell at the cleric for not topping off their hp afterwards. Traps in this game could be so much more and could solve the huge problem of Dungeon speed runs and make the game feel more like D&D.

So I was thinking a viable solution to this would be to make traps random (never in the same place twice) and deadly (A Blade trap is going to slice you in two, at minimum a spike trap will severely hurt you) Resource kits could still work but at a reduced rate, and rouges would be put in front to not only scout but check for traps...like in actual D&D.

The alternative would be just to remove them, because right now they mean absolutely nothing, at least in my opinion. Would like to get others thought's on this.
Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
Post edited by stormdrag0n on

Comments

• pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Think there needs to be some looting from disabling traps or some XP gain or something at least for disabling them.
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Think there needs to be some looting from disabling traps or some XP gain or something at least for disabling them.

yeah maybe if it was possible to fail, like you can fail and take the damage, or on a fail you take double damage even. I play a tr but there's too much free loot/exp already in game.
  • lageralelagerale Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DDO had a trap system that, in some areas, you had to let the rogue go first or you were simply going to wipe. It was kind of fun, but people complained that the areas couldn't be done without a rogue. So there is good and bad, your right though currently the trap system is little more then an annoyance.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Their purpose is to kill poor cats. :O (since traps seems to be the only thing that can hurt them)
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »

loot yes, XP ...you get XP so quickly now, it really means nothing. Failing your trap disarm would be good though I would even like to see that become a mini game like searching for anomolies in STO or lock picking in Skyrim, it could give the game a lot more depth. other than killing waves of monsters.
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Traps definitely need to be beefed up in potency and reason for existing. It's a neat mechanic. In DDO traps could be quite deadly and could block some content if you didn't have someone capable of disarming them or somehow bypassing them. Well, assuming you weren't some 12th life demi-god that could just walk through them laughing.

It would be nice if they were something to be careful of, and that rogues actually had a reason to disarm them. Give them some XP or vendor trash. Right now they're a pointless mechanic that some developer spent time in creating. Don't make that developer's time a wasted effort!
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lagerale wrote: »
    DDO had a trap system that, in some areas, you had to let the rogue go first or you were simply going to wipe. It was kind of fun, but people complained that the areas couldn't be done without a rogue. So there is good and bad, your right though currently the trap system is little more then an annoyance.

It would be great if we can make such deadly traps for foundry though.
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Their purpose is to kill poor cats. :O (since traps seems to be the only thing that can hurt them)

And puppies..don't forget about the puppies.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Having traps adds more D&D flavor, which is good.

Getting killed by traps is not fun, so they have to be limited in their effect. They do some damage and thereby consume some resources; not a lot, but a lot wouldn't be fun.
  • vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    I had a pug grp of 2 groups with me in a lvl 30 dungeon, they both died to some spinning blade trap that was in the ground. dont rogues see all traps? real sad.
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Having traps adds more D&D flavor, which is good.

Getting killed by traps is not fun, so they have to be limited in their effect. They do some damage and thereby consume some resources; not a lot, but a lot wouldn't be fun.

Depends on what you call fun, endlessly running through dungeons ignoring everything but the end boss certainly isn't fun, not knowing what you are facing this time and knowing that could get you killed is fun, at least for any real D&D player.

Right now they have handed the dungeons over to the speed runners and farmers....yeah it's easy, but it's not really the D&D experience folks are looking for, all I'm saying is traps if you have them shouldn't be an after thought.
  • lageralelagerale Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vertisone wrote: »
    I had a pug grp of 2 groups with me in a lvl 30 dungeon, they both died to some spinning blade trap that was in the ground. dont rogues see all traps? real sad.

They see traps just fine, the problem is it's not instant. When you walk into a room or hall you have to pause for a second for the traps to show up. Solo I do this all the time, if I grouped I can see where this would be a problem because people don't want to wait.
    edited May 2013
    vertisone wrote: »

Yes they can, but Rouges are trained from Cloak tower on not to stop and disarm traps or you'll get

GOGOGOGOGOGOGO!!!!!!

:rolleyes:
  • zharrezharre Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a D&D Rogue at heart, and I play a Rogue in every game I can. Sadly, that just means they're usually nothing more than stabbity stabbity DPS, and it looks like that's what they'll be in this game, too.

Sure, we can disarm traps. But why bother? Rogues can't scout ahead, because stealth is timed, enemies can sometimes see us, and no one's gonna stand back and WAIT for it, anyway. This game is about action combat, not about real dungeon crawling. So we can't scout ahead and disarm. We can't disarm while the group's in combat and is stumbling around on traps. Best we can do is disarm AFTERWARDS, and why the hell even bother then?

Yeah, I just don't get it. This is D&D, so it has to have traps, but this also isn't really a typical D&D game, and traps don't really have a proper place here. :confused:
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I filled a hallway and a room with the maximum number of traps, and ran through them all several times. I could barely notice any difference in my HP when I was finished. Yeah, traps need a serious buff. Like +1000% damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They there so you don't walk around almost dead , waiting to regen .
  • kevlintallfellowkevlintallfellow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe if the various types of traps started inflicting various types of wounds to people they hit, then folks would be more likely to deal with traps in a proper manner, as opposed to ignoring them like they do now which would cause them to use up injury kits like they were potions. For example, a spike trap on the floor would cause wounds to the legs, making the character unable to run, and force them to limp around until they use an injury kit. A wall spear trap would injure the arms, reducing attack speed with at-will abilities. A gas trap would cause the character to become sluggish, causing an increase in cooldown for all encounter powers. These are just a few examples of how traps could be enhanced to make them much more interesting.

This would make traps dangerous and costly to ignore, without doing massive damage to players to the point of killing them outright. In short, take traps from being a mere nuisance to being a major nuisance that you can choose to ignore but the penalties for doing so would be substantial enough to warrant avoiding them if possible.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I found that trap would be a way to battle mobs or bosses in lazy way, since it not just work to us but also the enemy, well, so far I done that at most of story quests
  • auxeus1auxeus1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would think an easy fix to the trap issue wouldn't be to boost their damage, but rather give them a flat percentage.

for example a saw blade trap that bites at you from a slit in the floor, if you are unlucky enough to step on it, would take away 40-60% of your health, rather than just doing 500 damage. Would definitely give people something to think about....
  • teemoorteemoor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    I actually find traps very useful... against mobs. Kite mobs through traps and you get easy kills. Did it on my cleric while running solo-dungeons (leveling) which may be too hard/long for a cleric.
  • andousandous Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have Cleric companion and traps are loughable...

Traps are deadly weapons... they are planted to kill adventurer. So the damage should be deadly. 50% - 90% of targeted adventurer Health pool. (that means when trap DMG is set to 50% once the adventurer is hit while actual HP is under 50% he is insta killed). Traps have 10% chance to crit.

No mercy with lowbies!
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Traps need to be made more menacing. Yes the Rogue needs a Dis-arm trap ability and gain XP for doing so. The traps themselves need to do more damage, and different kinds of damage. Some good ideas already posted in this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »

Not only that. I lure tougher mobs on traps, works even on bosses.
  • xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    a cool thing that i saw was that more intellectual mobs like Drow or other humanoids know were the traps are and dont follow you into them. stupid mobs like undead are running blind into them.

but traps should do 60-90% dmg (max player HP)