test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Selected quest edits - Foundry updates

banjinkunbanjinkun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 65
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I was under the impression that although I sent my quest to cryptic, and it got selected, I could still edit it. It would just only update on tuesdays.

When you look at the selected quests (the ones with a harper tag) you see their last edit on may 7th. For the non-selected quests, it's just anytime. So this is an indication that selected quests get their new edits added to the game only every tuesday.

So my question is, what about this tuesday ? Is it still too early in the day (GMT+1 here), and I'm just being too eager and need to take a chill pill and simmer down ? We had a patch this morning so I thought that would be it.

Any clues on the usual time for Foundry updates ? :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by banjinkun on

Comments

• kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No clue, but I believe once submitted you can no longer edit, since it would be an exploit (submit good quest, turn into junk after submit).
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Featured quests are copies of your own quests, published in your name and on your account, but invisible to the author in the Foundry itself. You can't edit them and they are never updated. Despite numerous updates, the featured version of A Hidden Blade is still stuck at the same version number as it had the moment it got featured. I have no way to change this as the quest is unavailable to me. Only my original version of the quest is still possible to edit. This is the one that is part of the campaign.
  • banjinkunbanjinkun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    O_O

Sounds like a serious flaw in the foundry system. I can NEVER update my quest ? The french CM told us we could. I never would have sent it to Cryptic had I known that...

I must say this Foundry has been one frustration after another from the very begining. I'm almost thinking of giving up on it. Wake up Cryptic !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can never update the copy of the quest that gets featured. You still have the original copy that you can update.

Also, just because you hit the 'Submit to Cryptic' button doesn't mean that you will get featured.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • banjinkunbanjinkun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    gemstrike wrote: »
    You can never update the copy of the quest that gets featured. You still have the original copy that you can update.
    What is the use of the original copy ? If you can't send it back to replace the one ingame, it seems pretty useless to me.
    gemstrike wrote: »
    Also, just because you hit the 'Submit to Cryptic' button doesn't mean that you will get featured.
    Yeah, don't do it. IT'S A TRAP ! :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Once you get featured, there are TWO versions of your quest in the catalog. This is because Cryptic makes a copy of your quest and publishes it in your name. You still retain your old, published version, which you can still freely update and do anything you like to. It's the copy that Cryptic made you can't touch. The purpose of the original copy is the same as the purpose of any quest in the catalog.
    edited May 2013
    Well, what a stupid system. I think they should just delete the whole spotlight thing. It's useless, flawed and counterproductive.

Any improvement of my quest is useless because players will only see the spotlight version. Noone will scroll down and look for the new improved version. No use sending comments people, it's dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    You're running into one misinterpretation of the system after another, it seems. :) Look at A Hidden Blade for a good example of how this ends up working. You'll no longer find it in the Featured list (that only lasts a week), but it has now entered regular circulation and has to compete against other quests on its own. The version I can edit is higher up in the list than the featured one, so this is the one people are more likely to see. But yes, if you update your original quest during the week when it is featured, people will keep playing the old version. This is why you're thoroughly warned not to submit your quest unless you're absolutely certain it's final. This is also the reason why I haven't submitted The Lanaar Legacy for featuring despite its great reviews, and probably won't for some time. I want it to be "perfect" before I lock it down like that.

A previously featured quest also shows, in large letters, when it was featured. This allows people to avoid old featured quests if they want, or at least look for an update. It would have been nice if a featured quest could have some kind of "link" to the original quest though, particularly if that one has been updated.
    edited May 2013
    We've had a miscommunication from our CM in the last livestream, saying "if you want your quest to be spolighted, just hit "send to cyptic" and I'll test it, you can still edit it afterwards". I didn't really imagine it any other way than how it was said. I never would have send it otherwise.

Anyway, the French quests that have been spotlighted have been up for more than one week. I don't think we have the same system, because ours last apparently way more than one week. Anyway, if it comes down, then forget what I said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    banjinkun wrote: »
    We've had a miscommunication from our CM in the last livestream, saying "if you want your quest to be spolighted, just hit "send to cyptic" and I'll test it, you can still edit it afterwards". I didn't really imagine it any other way than that. How could I ? I never would have send it otherwise.

And that's exactly how it works. You can submit at any time and edit afterwards. AFAIK, the copy is only made when the quest is featured, and even then you can still keep editing the original.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ideally, I think the point of featuring a quest is one that has been polished to a point that further edits aren't needed anyway. Also keeping the author from changing the quest once it's been featured it probably insurance for Cryptic that this version of the quest is "known and proven" to them.
  • fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    banjinkun wrote: »
    Well, what a stupid system. I think they should just delete the whole spotlight thing. It's useless, flawed and counterproductive.

Any improvement of my quest is useless because players will only see the spotlight version. Noone will scroll down and look for the new improved version. No use sending comments people, it's dead.

I'm not sure if I like the whole 'featured' system either
    edited May 2013
    Ok, here's the deal.

My quest is no longer in spotlight, which i a good thing. Other people also deserve the spotlight for their work.
    I'ts now down in the list, with red stars and 5k hits. Only one problem :
    IT'S STILL THE OLD VERSION !!! My new version and campaign has just disappeared from the list.

Will someone please explain what's going on ? :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    I tried resending my new version like 4-5 times. It doesn't show up in the list.

I tried to duplicate the quest. It says "Invalid request". I guess I can't make an english version now...

Why does it do that and what can I do ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]