test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

either/or quest objective?

fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Can you make quest objectives that are optional or a situation where you have 2 quest objectives presented in parallel in the story tab and you only have to complete either A or B to progress to the next quest objective in the chain ??
Post edited by fyrestorme1 on

Comments

• Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, but you can create "optional objectives" as long as you keep them completely away from the story board. The player won't ever see them in their quest journal. There are many ways around this obstacle, and you have to be a bit creative to do it. Try using items as a way to unlock the player's progress for example, with multiple ways of obtaining the item. The only thing the quest requires is that you use the item, while it never creates any requirements for how to obtain it. Keep in mind that some players will find this very confusing since there will be no quest trail.
  • Options
    eb2013eb2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^^Yeah. What he said. You can have a player complete either A or B but get the same object either way and have that object required to progress. As far as confusing players because of no quest trail, you can maybe have an interactable object and apply to it a conversation where you tell the player OOC hints (or blatantly) what they need to do to progress.

Try my quest Tucker's Kobolds, now with an all new map and encounters!
    Version 2.0.2 (5/11/2013)
    NW-DGW8GFH6
    @EB2013

Part II Coming Soon!
  • Options
    adjuchasbrokkadjuchasbrokk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sadly the quest path for Foundry is strictly linear at the moment, multiple conditions set are always regarded as "and".
    IE: if you setup a kill objective and link "man A", "man B" and "Man C", you will need to kill those three encounters to trigger the event.
    I don't see why we can't have "or" conditions really... I would make stories a little more interesting and all branches would end in "reward" anyway.
    [Foundry Projects]
    The Sunken Castle
    - NW-DEO4EA5XG -
    - A story driven dungeon crawl! -
  • Options
    fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    Sadly the quest path for Foundry is strictly linear at the moment, multiple conditions set are always regarded as "and".
    IE: if you setup a kill objective and link "man A", "man B" and "Man C", you will need to kill those three encounters to trigger the event.
    I don't see why we can't have "or" conditions really... I would make stories a little more interesting and all branches would end in "reward" anyway.

Ya, I didn't really expect to have XOR or NAND - but not even OR? Really?

Does anyone know what Cryptic's path forward is for the foundry? Do they even have one?

*EDIT*
    would be nice to have at least some limited scripting functionality such as simple if ... then ... statements:

if ( object.condition | actor.condition ) { object.action | actor.action; }
  • Options
    medullanmedullan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Without OR the foundry is useless for anything but mindless grinding. If we want to read a book there are millions of them out there and if we just want to kill stuff there are a ton of alternative options for killing virtual mobs with better graphics and less lag.
  • Options
    mjikmjik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As sitll it's not possible to make an either/or objective, it is possible to make either/or decissions in the story
    all you have to do is set the right trigers in the right objects, i made a thread explaining how to do it
    Making an "or"decision
    hope it helps...
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    medullan wrote: »
    Without OR the foundry is useless for anything but mindless grinding. If we want to read a book there are millions of them out there and if we just want to kill stuff there are a ton of alternative options for killing virtual mobs with better graphics and less lag.

My quests are mindless grinding? That's news to me.

The only REAL limitation when using tools like the Foundry is your imagination. If your imagination stops when it encounters an obstacle then there's a problem somewhere, and it's not the obstacle.