test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Cryptic planning on fixing the completely broken group dynamic?

embryodead666embryodead666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
2 clerics ... 80% less damage received for the entire party with Astral Shield. This is VERY, VERY broken.

You don't need Guardian Fighters. Why have a guardian fighter when they do less damage than everyone else and 2 clerics can easily keep up 2 rogues and 1 wizard?

This is one of the worst designed grouping systems I have ever seen. I am a Guardian Fighter and I absolutely love the class ... but it is hilariously depressing how at end game no one wants to group with Guardian Fighters because they "hold the group back".

Can you PLEASE release a statement letting us know that you are working on this massive imbalance and there are plans to make Tanks viable for the current content? Can you please also consider toning down the ridiculously overpowered Astral Shield and let the game be played how it should be played?

I did not choose to play this game as a Guardian Fighter (tank) because I was expecting to be side lined while Rogues and Clerics got first dibs on groups over a plate using, shield wearing class.

I guess there is no need to continue playing this character in it's current state, which is a total shame because I was enjoying the class. Only to see that a level 20 guardian fighter can be out damaged by a level 10 rogue ... and don't even get into the 20+ numbers. Keep in mind this is wearing tanking gear, and speccing for relying on tank skills/shield so I am sure there are some Guardian Fighters out there who can dish out some damage, but I don't really feel like spending $5 to make my class "worth playing".

Why there is no need for a tank to fight epic content is seriously one of the most asinine things I've ever seen and I've been playing MMO since 1999. EverQuest day 1 and for several years after that. I tanked for one of the first plane of time raids ever and did some content people these days couldn't even imagine in terms of difficulty. I wanted to play this game for a challenge but if my class isn't even necessary why have tanks?

I hope I am wrong and someone comes and tells me "well it is beta and they have stated there are massive balance changes coming and you don't know how to read" but I have a really bad feeling this won't change soon.
Post edited by embryodead666 on

Comments

• Options
    debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    at least you are lvling a tank. Better than lvling a great weapon fighter.
  • Options
    bcwhiteh12bcwhiteh12 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's pretty funny, most games do have slight imbalances, a class that might do 5% more damage than everyone else. I've never seen a developer in this day and age release a game with COMPLETELY broken mechanics and classes.
  • Options
    ceonnynceonnyn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately, a defensive GF is not possible in this version of the game.

If you want to enjoy tanking, you have to gear as dps (yea I know it sucks).
  • Options
    embryodead666embryodead666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The most unsatisfying portion of this whole situation is that even though the majority of the player base is complaining - Cryptic doesn't have a single community manager or anyone responsible for their image come out and tell us "Hey we are looking into it". We are just left completely in the dark wondering if there are plans for future change or if our time would be better spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    rosehoperosehope Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2013
    Make it so that astral shield cannot stack, and make the guardian fighter's group damage reduction skill work on all party members and stack with astral shield. Everyone will seek 1 guardian fighter alongside 1 cleric. Problem solved.
  • Options
    debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    The most unsatisfying portion of this whole situation is that even though the majority of the player base is complaining - Cryptic doesn't have a single community manager or anyone responsible for their image come out and tell us "Hey we are looking into it". We are just left completely in the dark wondering if there are plans for future change or if our time would be better spent elsewhere.

the community manager basically told us "its beta" and to deal with it. Just check my post about "group system is major fail" really funny tbh
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    debars wrote: »
    the community manager basically told us "its beta" and to deal with it. Just check my post about "group system is major fail" really funny tbh

Actually it was not the community manager, but one of the moderators who said that. And yeah, that does make a difference, the community manager is a paid employee of Cryptic. The mods are volunteers who have *some* inside information but don't know everything that's going on.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We really need to hear something from Cryptic and soon. I have several friends who stopped playing because they hit end game and the content is just chain killing adds and hoping clerics don't take a severe amount of damage that kills them.

Astral Shield stacks and is insanely overpowered. Guardians are not balanced whatsoever. Fix this please.
  • Options
    robudsabsrobudsabs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong but when I put down Astral Shield it says 20% and to my knowledge 20+20=40 not 80.
  • Options
    mal3fact0rmal3fact0r Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2013
    The complete lack of communication from the devs on any and all facets of this game is pretty pathetic, considering the great strides many other dev teams have been making over the last few years.

Their silence isn't doing them any favors.
  • Options
    pinchzpinchz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    robudsabs wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but when I put down Astral Shield it says 20% and to my knowledge 20+20=40 not 80.

Getting rank 3 adds to the percentage directly. It's 20% base, +20% more for the next two ranks -> 40%.
  • Options
    keterysketerys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're also presumably healing, which could share Foresight, which can add another, what, 11%? (Or 2 x 11%?)

Though everything might be multiplicative, so 1*.6*.6*.89*.89=28.5% damage taken.
  • Options
    robudsabsrobudsabs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pinchz wrote: »
    Getting rank 3 adds to the percentage directly. It's 20% base, +20% more for the next two ranks -> 40%.
    This is possible, is the in game buff for astral shield just saying 20% instead of the actual 40% damage reduction it's supposed to display?
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There is a strange satisfaction in seeing the tanks not be the rock stars of the game for once. But yeah, it is broken. Might be a long time before it gets fixed so the safer bet would be to reroll cleric.
  • Options
    pinchzpinchz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    robudsabs wrote: »
    This is possible, is the in game buff for astral shield just saying 20% instead of the actual 40% damage reduction it's supposed to display?

Yes.

10 char.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    borneol wrote: »
    There is a strange satisfaction in seeing the tanks not be the rock stars of the game for once. But yeah, it is broken. Might be a long time before it gets fixed so the safer bet would be to reroll cleric.

Maybe, but tanks has way better offensive capabilities too.
  • Options
    dramaviandramavian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Keep in mind that if they do fix the astral shield stacking they will need to completely tone down how many mobs infinitely spawn in during most/all the t2 encounters. Nothing like only having a single astral shield down. Getting instant mass mob aggro and going splat in the span of a half second. Course. If tanks could actually tank that might be oh. A huge help. My poor body seems to be a magnet for the loot pinatas.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the broken Valiant Warrior T 1 set everyone wants a GF in their group so they can oneshot everything in castle never . Just watched a stream where the GF 3 shotted the last boss in CN ... rofl .
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just tanked a boss for my group.

They thanked me for it because I was able to keep him busy while they took care of the adds.

Seems like every other dungeon mechanic i've ever been in.

If clerics can do just as well then fine, but it's not GFs that are broken.

Everyone just wants to do everything at the speed of light instead of well......not caring and simply letting a GF join.

I'm in a guild btw. Helps immensely with groups.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    Everyone just wants to do everything at the speed of light instead of well......not caring and simply letting a GF join.

Players in MMOs have always been like that and will always be like that. Emphasis on speed only gets greater over time too. But it is still a game design issue because you can fix a game, you can't fix people. Although it would be nice if Cryptic could patch the community to be all about fairness, equality and holding hands.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    Just tanked a boss for my group.

They thanked me for it because I was able to keep him busy while they took care of the adds.

Seems like every other dungeon mechanic i've ever been in.

If clerics can do just as well then fine, but it's not GFs that are broken.

I'm in a guild btw. Helps immensely with groups.

I click queue and get a dungeon group so that isn't my problem, but thanks for not understanding the basis of the argument here.

I am glad you feel that you are an adequate tank and your group enjoys you being around. See how it feels at level 60 when you are told that you don't do enough damage and they would rather get a DPS over you. Also, our taunts don't work - they are literally not working (proven). It is not a tank class. I would be happy to do the "sick damage" people are talking about, but that requires a $5 cost to respec my powers & feats. Not how I want to spend my money when I already spent $200 on a game and got a fundamentally flawed system.