test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will end game PvE content change?

firebatt123firebatt123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
As of right now the mechanics for every single boss in the tier one and tier two dungeons is exactly the same. You have a boss which unless it's one of the dragons isn't going to be dangerous by itself, and an unlimited flow of adds during the fight. The majority of groups that I know of farming end game content run 2 clerics and then a combination of rogues/wizards. I personally don't know much about the GWF but from what I have seen on these forums (and from a friend I have playing the game as one) the Guardian Fighter currently doesn't have a place in end game content due to the sheer amount of adds groups are asked to deal with in each boss fight. This coupled with the limit Guardian Fighters have on how many mobs they can taunt has moved the cleric into the tanking role due to them having to run Astral seal in order to survive.

The problem I am seeing with these fights is while it's been said that you should be able to do every single fight in the game with one of each class in a party of five it's just not feasible and none of the fights at end game have been designed around this at all. It's almost as if someone has asked whoever is designing boss encounters "how do we make this fight harder?" and the response every single time has been "Throw adds at them!". Having adds come out during a boss fight would be alright if it was in response to the boss reaching a certain amount of health or from standing in something you shouldn't be standing in, but having to deal with 10 or so mobs spawning in every 30 seconds for the entire duration of a boss encounter shouldn't be how boss encounters are made more difficult.

Because every single boss fight has been designed like this I honestly don't see this changing, now or in the future. When more content is added however designing boss encounters that focus more on movement and positioning, along with more robust boss mechanics and a reasonable amount of additional mobs to deal with will go a long way in improving the quality of current and new end game content, while allowing the Guardian Fighter and Great Weapon Fighter a place in end game content.
Post edited by firebatt123 on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Bumping to hopefully get a response to this.
  • Options
    xezek12xezek12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    we're running a full group of one of each class, though it's freaking hard compared to the 2x Cleric/TR and 1x CW groups >_<
  • Options
    karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    yeah GFs don't really bring anything helpful to the table in the hard fights right now. They can't kill adds quickly enough and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sto is just as bad. people just bring 5 tactical captains because it's the fastest way to clear the end game content.
  • Options
    acroniazacroniaz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree with you. The only 'difficulty' I've seen in this game has been 'more adds'. The boss mechanics are rubbish, the aggro tables are rubbish. Literally the only challenging part of any boss, is everything but the boss. Really really, really bad, lazy and overall ****ty dungeon design.

Is the boss to easy? YES. Well then, looks like we're going to have to put some adds in that automatically aggro onto a cleric because the game design is too dumb to work around clerics pulling aggro with heals instantly.
  • Options
    mreptmrept Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know about end-game 'cause I'm starting to lose my will to play NWO at mid 40's since the only thing that changes in boss fights is the amount of adds that spawn.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just bumping this one last time in the hopes of CM's/devs seeing this. This is something that absolutely needs to change if they want to keep people interested in playing the game once more people hit the level cap
  • Options
    kneehighsyaaaakneehighsyaaaa Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    YO THIS IS BETA CALM DOWN IT WILL CHANGE

Wait, who am I kidding? This game is already live. Do people seriously think this game is in open beta? The mechanics of boss fights will likely not change anytime soon. They have a LIST of things they need to fix and are addressing the zen shop, the mail system, and random things like that. I doubt they actively go through and re-script every fight. Not even Blizzard had the balls to pull that lol.
    Gza the Genius - Elf Guardian Fighter
    the Rza - dog companion

Mindflayer