test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter Feedback

celestria2celestria2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
So I have leveled a Guardian Fighter to lvl 60. Done PvP, done T2 epics. Here is some feedback.

PvE:

The good:
Threatening rush is the only really useful ability to get marks up.
Frontline Surge is decent for some light CC, but seems to have a 3 unit limit which is undocumented and makes it meh.
Blocking the large hits of bosses/big mobs is useful.
If specced to interrupt then Lunging strike is good, but doesn't work against most abilities.
Dailys regenerate very quickly.

The bad:
It is plain impossible to tank more then 10 mobs at a time. If i even manage to get threat on this many they break through block in no time, I have no way of actually getting into melee to the other 20 that are pounding on the healer.
The AoE Taunt doesn't actually Taunt, it's just for one hit on you.
Anything that says Taunt doesn't actually taunt. No clue how it exactly works.
Unless I gear for full DPS there is no way I can keep up on threat against a rogue on a single mob, not to mention all the 20 adds that spawn every 25% boss HP.
The damage return daily (I think steel of iron it is called) is the only useful aggro generating move.

The Ugly:
Guard down with 20 mobs on me: kite or drop like a stone.
How the heck am I supposed to tank 30+ mobs if I can't even get anywhere near them. The 10 I already have threat on either constantly knock me down or block my way.
Questing past lvl 50 is near impossible. I do no damage, companions do no damage. For one level I had to leech quest mobs off other people doing the same quest just because it else took forever to kill them on my own then screwed it and leveled the rest on PvP.
Potions are utterly useless. For some classes they recover over half their HP in one pop, for me its less then 20%. 5k of 35k HP...

PvP:

The good:
Blocking is very useful, though in a 1v1 feels overpowered.
Bull's Charge and Frontline surge (knockdowns) contribute nicely to teamfights.
Again the damage return daily is the only really useful one and the only skill that actually deals enough damage to use it for damage.
The knockback daily is all right.
Threatening rush is awesome for keeping up with all those doges. At times feels overpowered.

The bad:
Rogues unload daily on me for 15k+... and I am supposed to be a tin can. Their tin can opener seems overpowered.
My hardest hitting daily hits for 4k non-crit.
Dazes disable blocking.

The ugly:
It is pretty much impossible to regenerate Guard via skills (Tide of Iron and the likes) against most classes.
Some CW knockbacks go through block.
Post edited by celestria2 on

Comments

• Options
    thewonserthewonser Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Concerning PVE...
    It's completely silly how hard it is for us to hold aggro against a single target. I can understand not being able to control the entire fight with 20 - 30+ mobs to fight, we would at least like to be able to control where the most damage is being dealt. I think it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that non-shielded at-wills break the mark. At least make that Level 3 in the power upgrades please.

On the topic of PVP...
    I don't care that I'm not the DPS powerhouse. I think it's perfectly fine that TRs can beat the **** out of us with a relative ease, I'm sure as hell gonna make it take as long as possible though. I think the only way to go in PVP is to be a disrupting fighter. I would like more options in the future.
  • Options
    xirrixirri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So let me guess, you went the Tactician route? I had my regrets enough for it to reroll. The damage just wasnt there. Now as a human strenght based tank who focuses on cleaving the **** out of everything I can actually hold a candle to my name and maybe kill all the trash before my hp depletes too much when I pull 10+ guys on me. Just leaves the elites left. Full dex and con halfling just, you know... kited. And tickled its enemies. With a feather the shape of a sword.

I was not a happy camper playing my halfling gf.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When adds are up during a boss fight:
    CW's for the most part should be cleaning up (killin) the weaker minions and the regulars, controlling the heavier adds when able. TR's should be dropping heavier adds and brutes, then wailing on the boss. Cleric should help where needed and CWs and TR's should keep adds off them. GF's and GWF's should be managing the boss and adds that come near.

When no adds up:
    Everyone going all out on the boss.

In between boss fights (trash): Treat more dangerous/heavy mobs like bosses, TRs drop those first, CW control them most, AoE lessers down asap. GF and GWF focus on heavies, everyone help keep stuff off cleric.

These have been my observations for successful game play in dungeons thus far.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry double post :(
  • Options
    shampunshampun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Spec Conqueror for PVP and watch how fast you kill. When you see a TR or a CW alone, it's literally a free kill.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xirri wrote: »
    So let me guess, you went the Tactician route? I had my regrets enough for it to reroll. The damage just wasnt there. Now as a human strenght based tank who focuses on cleaving the **** out of everything I can actually hold a candle to my name and maybe kill all the trash before my hp depletes too much when I pull 10+ guys on me. Just leaves the elites left. Full dex and con halfling just, you know... kited. And tickled its enemies. With a feather the shape of a sword.

I was not a happy camper playing my halfling gf.

Yes, I went the Tactician feat route.
    And I am a Constitution based Human.something like 16/26/16 str/con/dex.
    Kind of expected to tank and let the other do the DPS.

TBH, I am happy with my role in PvP, but PvE definately sucks. Especially in low DPS groups
  • Options
    anotechanotech Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    celestria2 wrote: »
    So I have leveled a Guardian Fighter to lvl 60. Done PvP, done T2 epics. Here is some feedback.

PvE:

The good:
    Threatening rush is the only really useful ability to get marks up.
    Frontline Surge is decent for some light CC, but seems to have a 3 unit limit which is undocumented and makes it meh.
    Blocking the large hits of bosses/big mobs is useful.
    If specced to interrupt then Lunging strike is good, but doesn't work against most abilities.
    Dailys regenerate very quickly.

The bad:
    It is plain impossible to tank more then 10 mobs at a time. If i even manage to get threat on this many they break through block in no time, I have no way of actually getting into melee to the other 20 that are pounding on the healer.
    The AoE Taunt doesn't actually Taunt, it's just for one hit on you.
    Anything that says Taunt doesn't actually taunt. No clue how it exactly works.
    Unless I gear for full DPS there is no way I can keep up on threat against a rogue on a single mob, not to mention all the 20 adds that spawn every 25% boss HP.
    The damage return daily (I think steel of iron it is called) is the only useful aggro generating move.

The Ugly:
    Guard down with 20 mobs on me: kite or drop like a stone.
    How the heck am I supposed to tank 30+ mobs if I can't even get anywhere near them. The 10 I already have threat on either constantly knock me down or block my way.
    Questing past lvl 50 is near impossible. I do no damage, companions do no damage. For one level I had to leech quest mobs off other people doing the same quest just because it else took forever to kill them on my own then screwed it and leveled the rest on PvP.
    Potions are utterly useless. For some classes they recover over half their HP in one pop, for me its less then 20%. 5k of 35k HP...

PvP:

The good:
    Blocking is very useful, though in a 1v1 feels overpowered.
    Bull's Charge and Frontline surge (knockdowns) contribute nicely to teamfights.
    Again the damage return daily is the only really useful one and the only skill that actually deals enough damage to use it for damage.
    The knockback daily is all right.
    Threatening rush is awesome for keeping up with all those doges. At times feels overpowered.

The bad:
    Rogues unload daily on me for 15k+... and I am supposed to be a tin can. Their tin can opener seems overpowered.
    My hardest hitting daily hits for 4k non-crit.
    Dazes disable blocking.

The ugly:
    It is pretty much impossible to regenerate Guard via skills (Tide of Iron and the likes) against most classes.
    Some CW knockbacks go through block.

If you spec completely defensive, I can imagine questing post 50 would be slow and painful. I opted for a hybrid-esque build with offensive powers/passives and a cleric companion. I honestly thought pve questing was a breeze -- i just had to rez my companion after 2nd or 3rd fight because she would randomly run into red circles like a ****.

Speaking as a 10K GS GF myself, I completely agree that we can't handle the volume of adds -- but I think that's intentional. Unfortunately, even if you are a good GF there are easier/faster group compositions... and that's what people steer toward.

Regarding single target or small group tanking -- anyone who is having issues needs to check their rotation and make some adjustments -- it's definitely easier than people make it out to be. Personally my biggest gripe about the GF is the lack of mobility. With large packs, PBAOEs, AOEs, and all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to run around.. I find myself repeatedly in animation lock and taking needless damage....

With the limited number of classes in the game, there should be a "desire" to have each one in your group. Unfortunately that desire is fading for GF. Perhaps the only way might be if you've spec'd buff/debuff.. but even then I think I would rather have a 2nd cleric or CW.
  • Options
    aedndorfaedndorf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your pvp build is completely wrong or problematic at best. The skills you list besides frontline surge and bulls charge are all bad for pvp in a horribly bad way. I have entry level 60 gear, with the pvp set being the best, and the brutal scimitar. Most of my other gear ranges from level 40 pants to level 60 blues & unicorn gear. my best single attack is 17K on a CW. you need to change your build, and use skills that are ideal for pvp. I have zero issues with any class in the game in a 1v1 situation, with a well played cleric being the only problem at all, and that boils down to me being unable to kill him , but at the same time he cant really kill me. Guardian fighters are potentially the single best 1v1 pvp class in the game with proper gear.
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nevermind, I read it wrong.
  • Options
    saucepankaozsaucepankaoz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're doing it wrong. I could solo quest with ease, soloing instances where no one could help you. You need to respec into DPS spec, that's the only way to play at the moment. I laugh at rouges and CW. Except one CW, he ****ing <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> me into oblivion, but he did that to everyone on my team. I don't even bother fighting clerics and other GF 1on1, takes too much time. I don't even laugh at GWF, they're bad jokes.

I'm serious when I say GF is the best 1on1 class. You have 3 knock downs and 2 charges, and a block, how to lose. You can even deal a big amount of damage, and for the lulz, you can cheese with knights challenge and do insane burst.

But yes, they need to fix threat ****
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If I wanted to play a DPS class I would have rolled a TR, but I rolled a GF because I want to play a tank class.
    One that can hold the 40-50 mobs that would otherwise **** the cleric. Now tell me exactly how a DPS build will accomplish that.
  • Options
    saucepankaozsaucepankaoz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have to realize this game is unbalanced. No one wants a defensive GF who deal no damage and create no threat. Because conqueror deals damage and able to create threat. Clerics are OP, they'll keep you alive. If you don't like the way GF is played in PVE, I can understand that, but don't complain on GF pvp.
  • Options
    maebeknotmaebeknot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I second that GF is screwed. I'm cool with DPS spec being a viable option. I kind of like the idea! But it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that 2 other specs are completely worthless. At this point the whole feat tree is pointless. Might as well not have it and just give the bonuses passively instead of the false sense of customization.
  • Options
    elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GFs are not "screwed". We have some problems, some of which are compounded by other class's issues (namely Clerics healing agro). We have a viable spec for both PvE and PvP. Do i like the fact its the same spec, just different gear....usually id say no, but with current respect costs hell yeh i like it. Do i think the other trees need some assistance...yes, but that wont happen till other things are fixed/changed/nerfed....if ever.