test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tips for a new GF.

kimberlin89kimberlin89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Currently, im at 18 and i did my first dungeon and i completely fail to understand how to hold threat. So im looking for some tips (not for my level, i just mean in general) How does GF work? How should i go about holding threat, how should i block? Block everything or just red circle moves?

Im far from a **** :P this will be my 4th 60 if i decide to take guardian to 60, but tanking in this game feels so weird and new that im just looking for some tips to get me going.
Post edited by kimberlin89 on

Comments

• Options
    xxxretsopmixxxretsopmi Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't right now. Especially if someone is running with a tank companion. Tank threat really needs to be looked at.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't right now. Especially if someone is running with a tank companion. Tank threat really needs to be looked at.
    Even then there's still threat holding practice: The adds also needs to be tanked too, and is good practice for later.

Tanking is NOT just about holding threat, but also keeping the boss facing away from team (for combat advantage), and doing DPS, usually (since there's only two ways to hold threat: Guarding after taunting, or just having more aggro), and if stable, helping to tank some of the adds too.

I'd suggest blocking only if not blocking will reduce your DPS, aka if not blocking would do more damage than you can pot up, or if the attack will prone you and you can't dodge or waiting out the attack takes too long, or if blocking will let you charge up that villain's menace so you can dump griffon's wrath on a tough enemy. Don't forget that quite a few attacks can be countered by the daze from Griffon's wrath too, which would let you attack some more.
  • Options
    leadsaidleadsaid Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my experience, and I am by no means the best Tank player in the world, it is often more trouble than it is worth to try and hold threat, unless you're fighting a Dungeon boss or one of the larger mobs. Where I try and bring value to the team is with the Damage Resistance debuffs (Tide of Iron and Marking), coupled with some of the control-like powers (Terrifying Impact, Frontline Surge, Griffon's Wrath). The control powers also make for great interrupts. About half of the time I find I have to rely on Enforced Threat to get anywhere with threat and even then it's only a second later and they're back after the DC or CW looking for lunch. This is with a threat spec and threat features slotted. Again, my tanking probably needs work, but think of the above as a decent fallback strategy if you're fumbling on the threat management.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leadsaid wrote: »
    In my experience, and I am by no means the best Tank player in the world, it is often more trouble than it is worth to try and hold threat, unless you're fighting a Dungeon boss or one of the larger mobs. Where I try and bring value to the team is with the Damage Resistance debuffs (Tide of Iron and Marking), coupled with some of the control-like powers (Terrifying Impact, Frontline Surge, Griffon's Wrath). The control powers also make for great interrupts. About half of the time I find I have to rely on Enforced Threat to get anywhere with threat and even then it's only a second later and they're back after the DC or CW looking for lunch. This is with a threat spec and threat features slotted. Again, my tanking probably needs work, but think of the above as a decent fallback strategy if you're fumbling on the threat management.

Your tanking is most likely fine , it's the dps that rushes in too soon and most of the clerics doesn't even know how to position themselves to prevent bodypulling mobs ( the bodypulls > your threat if they start attacking or healing right after lol ) .
    It's WoW pugs all over again for the tanks in this game " Y U NO AGGRO the mobs when I aoe with glass cannon wizard and crit for 40 k a hit / rogues " - lol .
  • Options
    kimberlin89kimberlin89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good to know its not only me~ Also thanks for all the tips. I did CT and my team seemed to be smarter then normal and all stayed behind me and let me go in first and build a bit of aggro.

I hope they fix threat issues soon.
  • Options
    elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tanking currently is much different than most mmos out there. You need to really focus on your dps to maintain agro and keep mobs pealing off and attacking your healer/other dps. Especially as you level up. But here are a few things to keep in mind when tanking in this game.

1) Spec Conqueror. Thats it, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Unfortunately till changes are made to how threat works, and how much non telegraphed damage bosses are dishing out, its our only viable spec end game. Look over Envy's and Rokuthys posts, they do an amazing job of explaining how this tree works and how to be successfull (Class Build Guide stickied at the top of the page).

2) We do not need to have agro on every mob out there. Some will be CC, some will be burned down quickly. Your job is to keep the most dangerous, highest damage mobs on you, and as many of the weaker ones as well till they just melt to the aoe dps.

3) Enhanced Threat - Slot it, Spec it, Love it. Eventually as you gear up at 60 you may be able to drop this as your passive, but untill than with a high dps spec and this, you shouldnt have any problems with threat unless the rogues in the party WAY outgear you. Even than, at most they will pull a single mob off you.

4) many of the tools we use end game you wont have access to till in your 40s (Conqueror final ability, Thrush, DPS talents, etc). So long as your specing dps, focusing on power/def gear things should be "OK" but you might feel a little underwelmed by the class. Stick with it, once you get Thrush "sp?" and can apply Mark on every target you charge things start to really pull together.
  • Options
    desjardiniidesjardinii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    One of the best practices I have found for tanking was to keep as many of the mobs marked with the"X". You will not hold all the mobs, but you dont really need to. I try to keep the hard hitting ones on me, and let the DPS burn the adds. By keeping them marked you are building threat for yourself to hold them better, and for the ones ther DPS are burning they will take more damage. Keeping the mobs [positioned is alos a fun challenge depending on what companions are out. Tank companions can hold aggro, but thats fine too. The wolves and there knockback cause issues as well moving the mobs past you and losing ocmbat advantage for the group. All in all its just a totally different playstyle than other MMOs. Its not a sit on one place and spam aoe aggro building skill to hold all mobs, while glass cannons DPS them down in one place. Voice coms and a good running group make it a whole lot easier in my opinon. Tanking is not PUG frindly in this game in my opinion.
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    at low level, you'll want to use tab to mark the strongest target, block and left strike him a few times, then get another strong add, making it easier for your group to kill the weaker trash. for boss fights, keep the boss on you the same way, and if you can manage, use your aoe provoke when the ads spawn to buy your party a few seconds to use aoes/cc. if you can glue one or two of the stronger ads on you and still keep the boss off to one side, it will be easier for your cleric. also, invest in enhanced mark passive, makes a difference.
  • Options
    maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    stu66ystu66y Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd have to agree with everyone in this thread so far. Currently, I am a level 37 GF, and I fell in LOVE with the level 35 at will rush attack. It's called Threatening Rush, if my memory serves. It allows me to be all over the place in the blink of an eye. I also have noticed an aggro issue in this game, but that could possibly be due to my expectancy of being able to hold ALL aggro on everything in the room at all times. Then I started realizing that maybe this wasn't as much of an aggro issue as it was just a part of the game. So, like others in this thread, I started focusing mainly on high priority targets... Berserkers, bosses, and the like. I would still keep an eye on the Cleric as often as I could spare some attention, and if they had a ton of little adds on them, I would run over and use my Enforced Threat aoe, that would usually help get some attention off of the healer. Also Kim, you asked about blocking red circle moves... in my experience, your main priority should be to completely avoid those attacks as often as possible. Especially since it's THOSE attacks that eat up most of our block bar. Also, don't be afraid to use your Daily Powers as often as you want. I personally use the daily power Terrifying Impact as another aoe high threat ability. I've spec'd into feats that offer more action points with guarding and such, so I find that I can use a "Daily Power" about every other mob pull, and sometimes as much as 10 times per boss fight, depending on how long it lasts.. Other than these things, being on some sort of chat program with your group, whether in game voice chat, Ventrilo, Mumble, Team Speak, or any of the many others can be HUGE saving grace. Also, many people expect pug runs to be flawless, not saying you specifically, but obviously, guild runs help a lot too. Since many guild members tend to be less douchy and are also more apt to give you a little time to build threat. If aggro is simply not fully balanced in this game yet, keep in mind that tanking for pugs is going to be tenfold harder than tanking for coherent players.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Options
    mandelhandlemandelhandle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don
  • Options
    mandelhandlemandelhandle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some serious issues with the reply thing... can