test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(HELP) Selecting a class

nyhmmzmzmmnyhmmzmzmm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am enjoying Neverwinter but I have the same problem I usually have in mmos.

I can't make up my mind on which class I want to play.

Control Mage and Cleric are a big no-no for me so that rules those out, that leave Great-Weapon Fighter, Guardian Fighter and Trickster Rogue.

Now I lack the proper knowledge to make up my mind and since there is a limit of 2 character and they all have to go through the same storyline (at least from what I've seen), I don't wanna reroll until I find something suitable.

Here are a few things that usually sells me on a class;

1-Is capable of solo'ing content (I am a big fan of challenging myself and partying usually ends up making things easy).

2-Is capable of handling any 1v1s in PvP if the player handling the character is skilled enough.

3-Is underplayed, best example of this would be a Warlock in World of Warcraft, they are underplayed and meet both requirement number 2 and 3.

I believe GWF to be the answer to what I look for but Guardian also seems to fit the role as well, not sure about Rogue, seems to have the damage but no way to survive any encounter if out of dodge rolls and I also see rogues everywhere I go (Less than control mages but still) so that's a big bummer for me.
Post edited by nyhmmzmzmm on

Comments

• glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A Female Dwarf.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the problem is, if the character can solo AND 1v1 successfully, they are pretty much played by everyone. And that would be the Rogue. You want a class that CAN do well in solo as well as 1v1, but is slightly less played, go Great Weapon Fighter. It does good dmg, has slightly better than average damage AND defense, so they can both solo and 1v1, and they arent all that common.

The only problem, there isnt really any 1v1 PvP in neverwinter. The only PvP we have is 5v5 domination. And alot of endgame content NEEDS multiple people to finish. If anything, partying in this game will make story stuff easy, but skirmished and dungeons are....well, they arent easy even with a decent team of well geared and coordinated players. Not impossible but they arent too many facerolls going on either.
  • nyhmmzmzmmnyhmmzmzmm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right, I am aware that there isn't a technical 1v1 mode but in the 5v5 domination thing I've done was mostly back capping and only one person would come to defend so I would need to 1v1 them, that's what I was implying.

Though I am wondering why Guardian is more populated than GWF, seems like usually the character that looks cool with a big weapon usually tends to be played more and the tanking class a close second to healers.
  • anubis136anubis136 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Regarding underplayed classes: Not sure about in PvP, but in dungeon parties, I see at least 2 GWF's for every GF. I'm fairly certain the GF is the least played class in the game.

It has been in my experience, anyways.
    edited May 2013
    Normally, yeah, the big weapon berserker classes are pretty popular, but I'm not really sure why GF are more popular. They are pretty much the tanks, and tanks/clerics are the least played classes. Maybe its the way their tanking ability works, or the fact they have an at will dash attack, so they close the distance alot quicker no matter what.

Who knows, all I know is it seems GF are more poplar than GF, and they seem like they would work better in 1v1/solo.
    anubis136 wrote: »
    Regarding underplayed classes: Not sure about in PvP, but in dungeon parties, I see at least 2 GWF's for every GF. I'm fairly certain the GF is the least played class in the game.

It has been in my experience, anyways.

I would have to disagree with that....I'm pretty sure the clerics are really rare the later in game you get.
  • anubis136anubis136 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    I would have to disagree with that....I'm pretty sure the clerics are really rare the later in game you get.

Yes clerics can certainly be hard to come by, but I didn't mention them because a cleric does not fill his other requirements.

As for being less common than GF, I've been in many parties without a GF, but only one or two without a cleric. This could just be a symptom of how the matchmaker likes to put parties together, though.
  • john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't make a Cleric because in dungeons you will rage quit. Cleric's pull all the aggro. Unless you like running around like a chicken with your head cut off the whole time.
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
    edited May 2013
    I haven't heard anything about Guardians in PvP, from what I can see so far (Being level 11 doesn't tell me much but still) I get far more decent 1v1'ing abilities than Great-Weapon Fighter.
    edited May 2013
    You just dont do as much damage....but you can sustain alot longer. You make a good distraction, but when it comes to 1v1 distractions, its worthless, as both teams are down a guy. If you can sutain long term with 2v1, then you can pull the win, since your distracting two of their guys. Needless to say,. GF can pull off the 2v1 alot better than a GWF, but only as far as sustain and distraction goes. Its unlikely you'll kill either of them.
    edited May 2013
    Right, I guess GWF damage will probably ramp up as I unlock abilities that don't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> me off (That **** right click ability really is not my thing, anything that hurts my mobility usually tend to go byebye for me)
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nyhmmzmzmm wrote: »
    Right, I guess GWF damage will probably ramp up as I unlock abilities that don't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> me off (That **** right click ability really is not my thing, anything that hurts my mobility usually tend to go byebye for me)

Exactly this! When I RT click and hold to charge that hit I'm paused while it charges but still taking damage. When it finally charges and hits the amount of damage is usually a fraction of what I could have done with a steady barrage of LFT click hits in the time I had to wait for it to charge. They either need to replace that ability with something else (you already have a power hit option that doesn't have to be charged but does have a cooldown) or else when it hits it needs to hit for at least twice the amount of damage I could have rolled up with steady hits during the charge up. Since THAT would probably lead to people screaming that GWF's are OP'd I'd say the better option is to replace it with something else heheheheh.
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Member Posts: 3,514 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my experience, Great Weapon Fighter is not that great for soloing. You need to use the Cleric companion at all times, otherwise bring yourself a giant sack of potions. Their damage is pretty bad compared to Rogues. For reference, I'm comparing the level 40 range of the two classes, don't know what happens past that.

You do get better At-Wills (your right-click and left-click abilities). One of them you swing your sword left and right in a wide arc, and the other you get at around level 35, Weapon Master's Strike (I think), which you take one wide swing, and then for some reason a stunt double jumps in behind the people you are fighting and it takes another wide swing.