test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What many people don't know about roles or to put it bluntly what people do wrong.

steampunkprogramsteampunkprogram Member Posts: 24 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
So before I start this, I want to state that I've played every class, to alteast 30, and 2 60s.

Something a lot of people don't yet understand about the game is that the class roles of Neverwinter are pretty different from other MMOs. People complain about the healing Aggro, people complain about the tanks ability to taunt, while we have more rogues then we know what to do with. Here is why, I'm going to break down the way that the classes are meant to be played, and please if a dev reads this, support me my findings, I know them to be true.

[ I've removed the specificity that I layed out for classes in lue of a more direct statement ]

There is a new role that must be played in Neverwinter, 'the blocker' that has the task of taking down weaker enemies that would gang up and threaten the cleric and wizard. This role is very often left out because its very new to Neverwinter (Tho I have seen it in specific boss fights in MMOs, it is however always needed in neverwinter).
Post edited by steampunkprogram on

Comments

• Options
    gruxgrux Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, some people may be playing their role incorrectly, but your description of what they "should" be doing are just as laughable.

Here's just one tip: Great weapons fighters have as much if not more mobility in a PVE sense than Trickster rogues, and more AoE. So why is it you have assigned GWF to single target boss duty while the trickster rogue (the squishiest melee) is running around blocking/killing off random small adds....instead of the class with the self heals and good AoE?

I would suggest playing all the classes whose role you have decided to dictate to them to 60 before doing so. Maybe getting a touch more experience with each as well. Just because you play a class to 60 doesn't usually mean anything. The real learning begins once you hit 60.
  • Options
    gamerman121gamerman121 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are no Mages in Neverwinter. By the way people can actually play this game make mistakes and learn how they want to play there class. Its a crazy idea but maybe we don't all need to march in lockstep .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    How do you know that one of the 60s isn't a great weapon fighter? The dash doesn't allow you to move around the field nearly as easy as a rogues ability to roll/stealth/ and just straight up teleport every few seconds, and while you might have AOEs as a great weapon fighter, that can allow you to help with the mopping up, I mearly stating what I feel to be the 'major role' of the classes each class has the ablilty to break out of these roles but its important to always have someone doing them, also, as for the 'squishiest melee' part that is far from true, normally mobs go down so fast they don't even have time to react, or you never get hit due to dodges and stealth fighting, which doesnt work as well on bosses.

Meaning, if the rogue is a heavy hitting DPS striker then the GWF needs to be protecting the cleric.
  • Options
    taaltos13taaltos13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    THANK YOU for this post! Love it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There are no Mages in Neverwinter. By the way people can actually play this game make mistakes and learn how they want to play there class. Its a crazy idea but maybe we don't all need to march in lockstep .

I know you dont want to be pushed into a category, it hurts to feel like there are limitations. but its a game, they are there, and its fine to play, but when playing a cleric and I watch the '3' rogues in my group run off and DPS the boss while I stand there and die, and when I say they need to protect me I get yelled at, there is a problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    How do you know that one of the 60s isn't a great weapon fighter? The dash doesn't allow you to move around the field nearly as easy as a rogues ability to roll/stealth/ and just straight up teleport every few seconds, and while you might have AOEs as a great weapon fighter, that can allow you to help with the mopping up, I mearly stating what I feel to be the 'major role' of the classes each class has the ablilty to break out of these roles but its important to always have someone doing them, also, as for the 'squishiest melee' part that is far from true, normally mobs go down so fast they don't even have time to react, or you never get hit due to dodges and stealth fighting, which doesnt work as well on bosses.

Meaning, if the rogue is a heavy hitting DPS striker then the GWF needs to be protecting the cleric.

I know because of what you said. If you actually had a 60 GWF you would have just said so.

Stick to mastering what you play. If you feel someone is doing something in your own group, ask them to do what you feel is "correct". If you really feel you have mastered every class in the game enough to tell them all what they should be doing....maybe you should make a guide for the classes that are more than barely a paragraph of "guidance" that does little more than the class description you receive upon creating your character.

Also the people who horrendously play their classes wrong don't go to forums, don't look up advice, and generally have no idea they are even doing something wrong. Either don't group with them or talk to them in the group and try to advise them of a better way. It will certainly do more good than shouting into the gaping maw of the forums.

Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    daedracdaedrac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    You need to switch the GWF and Rogue's roles in your post. As a GWF all those little mobs will die in a single sequence of my slam, and I can use that at least once a fight. If I don't have slam, those little adds while grouped up all die in a couple swings.

A rogue would kill one at a time, much slower than a GWF will kill most of them simultaneously. Rogue stays on big targets as they are by far the highest single target dps.

Control Wizard (aka mage) should prioritize CC at ALL times. That is their strong point. If you get all mobs close the GF and GWF can hit everything at all times, build up AP 200% faster, and destroy everything in seconds.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think the main point of my post is muddled by the specification and responses to them on a per class basis.

My real point was this, Guardians cant tank everything, it doesnt happen. People need to learn to break up how they deal with the lesser mobs. Most people the moment they see that boss have blinders to whats going on around them.

Oh and the 4/1 ratio of rogues...
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wizard: Your role is pretty close to that of other MMOs, high damage on single targets and multiple targets, your role can be customized to deal best with the dungeon at hand. Either helping the rogue with his blocking, or helping the great weapon fighter with his direct boss DPS.

Wrong. We are "Control". It's in our names. Once Warlocks and or Archer Rangers come in, you will really be able to tell that fact. We "can" spec for dps, and it's not terrible with the correct gear, and since we are the only current ranged dps, it's one thing we do, but what we are really good at is cc. Especially on bosses with a lot of adds. "Oh, a ton of minions are swarming in? Should i try to ignore them and dps the boss or drop a singularity and mop them all up and kill with a second aoe?" Damage is secondary, keeping mobs locked out of combat is our number one.
  • Options
    jrelthewise2jrelthewise2 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have the roles of rogue and GWF completely reversed. Also the CW should prioritize adds and protecting the cleric along with the GWF.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    All you really had to say was:

Tanks can't keep aggro on every enemy. DPS please kill adds so they don't kill your cleric.

All the other fluffery advice you offered is either already in the character creation screen or simply wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    grux wrote: »
    All you really had to say was:

Tanks can't keep aggro on every enemy. DPS please kill adds so they don't kill your cleric.

All the other fluffery advice you offered is either already in the character creation screen or simply wrong.

There really is no reason to be so aggressive about it, I can only assume you are a GWF and you feel that your class can do anything you want it to, which to some degree is true. I merely wanted to point out the need for a blocker, and I figured the easiest way to get peoples attention was like this.

Also, people reading stuff in the character creation screen, haha. funny. no one reads anything unless they are forced or are actually seeking knowledge and even then a lot of people still would rather ask.
  • Options
    undeadknight1undeadknight1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a cleric, it would be nice for once to have help dealing with the adds, and not get gang banged by them XD
  • Options
    badxideasbadxideas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    It looks like you changed the original post. I have to give you some credit for being willing to change, and accepting that the information you had provided earlier didn't really stand up, was misleading, or was simply not true.

Most people will argue well past the point where they know they don't make a strong enough case but they are too stubborn and do not want others to see that they were mistaken. Having removed all of the content from the OP that was inaccurate (i.e. most of it) proves you aren't one of those stubborn people. A high-five to you, sir.

The only point that remains to be made is this one simple, universal concept that applies to almost every game out there:

There is never just one way a class should be played. There are many reasons why this should be kept in mind.

- Being inflexible as to how a character "should" be played is a view point that does not account for unexpected or atypical situations. People need to be able to improvise tactics in the event that the predictability of the circumstance changes. What if the cleric or main tank disconnects during a long fight? Well, you can throw out the play-book as you had originally posted, because just that one change in circumstance and everyone will have to change to compensate. And that is just one of a million things that could change.

- People's play styles vary. Simple as that. This is a game, and there is no law laid down that says "this is your role, do it this way only!". I don't know why I should be expected to play the game or my character the way that YOU want me to. I admit, there are actions or ways of playing a character that are a lot less successful than others - even then that doesn't mean the person playing that way is 'wrong'.

- Built into this game are a great number of occasions when solo play is not only encouraged, but required! Tactics used while playing solo are almost always different than those used in groups. Some people make the transition from solo to group play better than others.

- Locking yourself into one role stifles self-sufficiency and innovation. You either get that or you don't
    Amillion Bucks L60 obsolete GF
    Amillion Dollars L60 'easy mode' GWF
  • Options
    kharma888kharma888 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your described "blocker" is not a new mechanic to MMOs, it is the classic "Scraper/Offtank" role and has been around since at least original Everquest's Luclin expansion. Im sorry, and no offense intended, but you aren't bringing anything new to the table here.
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blocker = Trash Collector

Yup, my vote would be GWF for that title
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kharma888 wrote: »
    Your described "blocker" is not a new mechanic to MMOs, it is the classic "Scraper/Offtank" role and has been around since at least original Everquest's Luclin expansion. Im sorry, and no offense intended, but you aren't bringing anything new to the table here.

Thats all well and good that you remember and know of this role, but this isnt directed to people that know, its directed to people that clearly dont, I cant count how many times I've been playing my cleric, the moment the boss fight starts, I'm on my own, and I'm sure the few other clerics around (which there are few it appears to be the least played class, except maybe control wizard) know what I'm talking about.