test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

**** it fix healers aggro in PvE !!

tsalimonektsalimonek Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Aggro mechanics are completely broken in game. In dungeons even with perks that lower my aggro i`m generating far too much. For example at beginning of dg when i didn`t event cast heal mobs already on me, during fight one AoE heal in centre of the group > all mobs on me. There`s only two possibilities , healers generate too much or taunts and aggro are broken on tanks!
Post edited by tsalimonek on

Comments

• Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As a cleric myself, cleric aggro is completely broken, it does generate too much and a good part of it is that Cleric is pretty much all AoE heals with only a single exception; Also some of those AoE heals also cause damage too like Sun Burst or Divine Forgemaster's Flame.

As for Guardian Fighter, that class is completely junk at tanking multiple mobs, their abilities simply don't allow for it. At best they can hold 3 or 4 mobs for a few seconds but else wise they can only really hold a single target.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not having troubles. The healing in this game is not like other "stand in one spot and heal" games. L2P, for the sake of the rest of us that actually have figured it out, I hope they dont change it. Go play an easy mode class like the TR, Clerics arent for everyone.

Cheers!
  • Options
    ff2nn2ff2nn2 Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    As a cleric myself, cleric aggro is completely broken, it does generate too much and a good part of it is that Cleric is pretty much all AoE heals with only a single exception; Also some of those AoE heals also cause damage too like Sun Burst or Divine Forgemaster's Flame.

As for Guardian Fighter, that class is completely junk at tanking multiple mobs, their abilities simply don't allow for it. At best they can hold 3 or 4 mobs for a few seconds but else wise they can only really hold a single target.

Because of lacking gameplay options, I have spent more time in the forums than in the game.
    But from what I read:
    - Defenders should be close to the defended target (the wizard, rogue or cleric).
    - The GF was not meant to hold many opponents.

Having said that, it would be a wise decision to remove class restrictions from gear (maybe by giving special gear feats like in D&D)
    so that any figher could use greatweapons, 2 weapons or shield or whatever is required for the current fight.
    Classes are much too specialized which makes the lack of classes even worse.
    Because players and group size are limited, having 20 classes does not solve the problem for a single group either.
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I'm not having troubles. The healing in this game is not like other "stand in one spot and heal" games. L2P, for the sake of the rest of us that actually have figured it out, I hope they dont change it. Go play an easy mode class like the TR, Clerics arent for everyone.

Cheers!

Nope, you can't move and heal at the same time, literally every heal move pins you still for 0.3 seconds+ and if it's a move you need to target like Bastion of Health or Healing Word... good luck with that. And yes that 0.3 does make a difference, Devoted Cleric isn't a kiting class and yes I know how to move the issue is you have to stand still, even if temporarily for each heal and that's a big issue. More so when you have mobs that can pounce, charge or use long distance attacks. In fact yesterday I was killed by archers which you can't even run away from because the boss encounter area for blackdagger isn't big enough to effectively kite them.
  • Options
    stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    At level 43 it only gets worse.

As a cleric, my group usually lives but I die. I end up about halfway through a fight just running around kiting 4-5 mobs. I can't even heal because if I stop, I'm insta gibbed.

Healing is a joke in this game.

Matter of fact, this broken unfinished mess is a joke. After less than two weeks of play I'm almost max level (no rushing, just casually solo'ing dailiies, quests and queing for skirmished/dungeons.) I'll be surprised if I'm not max level by next weekend. I'll give T1 dungeons a go, but I'll wager a chest key, it will be exactly the same.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have found that Sunburst, Astral Shield, Seal and Sun dot are way more healing than is necessary. I kite around my shield in a circle, and has been working great. Sunburst is an awesome heal, as well as if you getting beat on too much, use it in DM. Not being able to run and heal at the same time has do nothing to hinder my healing what so ever, if you are doing a boss like Hromoir(sp?), dont even equip Astral Shield its pointless. I use chains, sunburst and DL, kiting is a breeze when you just get it down bud.

Btw, I've come back and fourth "trying" to find a good use for Bastion of health, and Healing Word, and I've found that they are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, unneccesary and a waste of an ability spot, as well as generating even more unwanted aggro, when that much healing isnt even necessary.

Clerics are an absolutely amazing kiting class btw, you may just not be using the right abilities.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stadulator wrote: »
    At level 43 it only gets worse.

As a cleric, my group usually lives but I die. I end up about halfway through a fight just running around kiting 4-5 mobs. I can't even heal because if I stop, I'm insta gibbed.

Healing is a joke in this game.

Matter of fact, this broken unfinished mess is a joke. After less than two weeks of play I'm almost max level (no rushing, just casually solo'ing dailiies, quests and queing for skirmished/dungeons.) I'll be surprised if I'm not max level by next weekend. I'll give T1 dungeons a go, but I'll wager a chest key, it will be exactly the same.

Yup, your right. Clerics are totally broken and useless in this game, they are the worst class and no one should play them at all. Go play a rogue, you'll have more fun with easy mode
  • Options
    stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    Justifying the fact that you "kite" doesn't make it a viable tactic nor does it address the issue with aggro being completely broken in this game. Ok, so you LIKE running around in circles maybe getting a few heals off.

You enjoy "kiting" mobs around while your team picks off stragglers. Spin it any way your want... Heck even say it's because you've got mad skillz yo! But the fact is, ANYONE can run around in circles and pretty much EVERY cleric does. You haven't stumbled on a win tactic, you've simply stumbled on the ONLY tactic. And that's the problem.
  • Options
    foolishlobsterfoolishlobster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Before any more people try to comment on this thread that isn't level 60 and hasn't done any T1 or T2 epics, please bear in mind you have no idea what you're talking about. Epic dungeons at the moment are large packs of mobs and bosses that spawn ridiculous amounts of mobs with the Cleric(s) running in circles while everyone kills the boss. It is also useless to bring Guardian Fighters to T2 epics because you can maybe pull 4-5 mobs at a time and have their attention for about 3-4 seconds before they go back to the Cleric. Having 2 Clerics with the shield aoe thing is more effective than having a Guardian Fighter because the ability stacks, negating A LOT of damage for everyone that stands in it. Threat and encounter designs are an issue.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Before any more people try to comment on this thread that isn't level 60 and hasn't done any T1 or T2 epics, please bear in mind you have no idea what you're talking about. Epic dungeons at the moment are large packs of mobs and bosses that spawn ridiculous amounts of mobs with the Cleric(s) running in circles while everyone kills the boss. It is also useless to bring Guardian Fighters to T2 epics because you can maybe pull 4-5 mobs at a time and have their attention for about 3-4 seconds before they go back to the Cleric. Having 2 Clerics with the shield aoe thing is more effective than having a Guardian Fighter because the ability stacks, negating A LOT of damage for everyone that stands in it. Threat and encounter designs are an issue.

The problem seems to be that everyone wants to kill the boss instead of helping the cleric.
    Play as a team.
    The mob behaves as intended, I would say.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    whats broken is the mechanics not the numbers.

most games assign aggro based on numbers. If you have the highest numbers you draw aggro. Healers tend to have the highest numbers hence the need for threat management

this game has decided to **** healers over and brain <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> devs made it so that mobs pre-emptively target clerics. it has nothing to do with numbers or spells.

I often walk into a group to pull - nobody uses any spells, and deathpledges just jump over my head straight at the cleric. whos dumb **** idea was it to design the game this way? fix it. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    whats broken is the mechanics not the numbers.

most games assign aggro based on numbers. If you have the highest numbers you draw aggro. Healers tend to have the highest numbers hence the need for threat management

this game has decided to **** healers over and brain <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> devs made it so that mobs pre-emptively target clerics. it has nothing to do with numbers or spells.

I often walk into a group to pull - nobody uses any spells, and deathpledges just jump over my head straight at the cleric. whos dumb **** idea was it to design the game this way? fix it. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>

The AI is scripted and not always plausible outside of battle.
    Yet it remains effective and manages to outwit many players within battle.
    The rage against the current mechanic is the proof.
    Why not targeting the cleric if this breaks the group ?

Judging from what I have played and read on these forums:
    - Kill the mobs, then attack the boss, then kill the next wave of mobs.
    - Fighers can hold the mob if they know what they are doing and defend the target (cleric) side by side.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ff2nn2 wrote: »
    The AI is scripted and not always plausible outside of battle.
    Yet it remains effective and manages to outwit many players within battle.
    The rage against the current mechanic is the proof.
    Why not targeting the cleric if this breaks the group ?
    - Kill the mobs, then attack the boss, then kill the next wave of mobs.
    - Fighers can hold the mob if they know what they are doing and defend the target (cleric) side by side.

pretty easy formula, and sadly it's a pretty easy formula.

You can talk that until you're blue in the face but the real story is that, as stated, you can be standing on the FAR side of a mob spawn and they will come across the map to attack the cleric. Said cleric doesn't even have to cast a spell.. the mobs come.

Now, as a cleric, you'll run past the tanks in the hopes one of them will notice you running in circles like a chicken with it's head on fire and taunt at least ONE of the 4-5 mobs off you. Rarely happens because the entire group has tunnel vision on the boss and probably don't realize how many adds there are. Because they keep spawning right?

So you have this EASY mechanic to EVERY boss fight. Attack boss, kill add waves, attack boss. But hope you have KILLER DPS because if you don't burn the waves down, you get more waves.

I can't see this game retaining players. taking into account all of this, the horrible leveling/progression system, the cash shop and EQNext set for release at the end of the year (take a look at Planetside 2 for an idea of just how good EQNext will look.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

pretty easy formula, and sadly it's a pretty easy formula.

You can talk that until you're blue in the face but the real story is that, as stated, you can be standing on the FAR side of a mob spawn and they will come across the map to attack the cleric. Said cleric doesn't even have to cast a spell.. the mobs come.

I do not want to claim that things are perfect. The cleric might be treated in a simplistic and unfair way.
    Hopefully the developers will polish things in the weeks and months to come.
    Now, as a cleric, you'll run past the tanks in the hopes one of them will notice you running in circles like a chicken with it's head on fire and taunt at least ONE of the 4-5 mobs off you. Rarely happens because the entire group has tunnel vision on the boss and probably don't realize how many adds there are. Because they keep spawning right?
    You have stated the main problem.
    Instead of ranting, give kudos to the dev team that stupid mobs are smarter than stupid players.
    So you have this EASY mechanic to EVERY boss fight. Attack boss, kill add waves, attack boss. But hope you have KILLER DPS because if you don't burn the waves down, you get more waves.

I can't see this game retaining players. taking into account all of this, the horrible leveling/progression system, the cash shop and EQNext set for release at the end of the year (take a look at Planetside 2 for an idea of just how good EQNext will look.)

As stated, the classes are MUCH too specialized.
    Remove class restrictions from gear.
    Become offensive when required.
    Become defensive when required.
    Become range attacker when required.

But I do not want to have a classic stupid AI that allows stupid tanks become mob magnets without any plausible reason.
    If I would attack someone, then the fragile and strong and not the robust and weak.

PS.
    If monsters are too strong, then you are too weak.
    This game offers much to level up and become stronger even without using the cash shop.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Justifying the fact that you "kite" doesn't make it a viable tactic nor does it address the issue with aggro being completely broken in this game. Ok, so you LIKE running around in circles maybe getting a few heals off.

You enjoy "kiting" mobs around while your team picks off stragglers. Spin it any way your want... Heck even say it's because you've got mad skillz yo! But the fact is, ANYONE can run around in circles and pretty much EVERY cleric does. You haven't stumbled on a win tactic, you've simply stumbled on the ONLY tactic. And that's the problem.

I kite when its necessary, and when you have a GF that actually understands his class. Generally its not necessary. Theres no "win" tactic, thats your problem, and everyone else's. This isnt WoW, depending on the fight, the boss, the encounter, peoples roles change. Hromir(sp) for example, its definately a kite fest. Not because GF cant hold aggro, not becuase "you" think clerics aggro is bad, its because the encounter is stupid. Mobs do not stop spawning, huge elite mobs that can one shot you, keep spawning. Having your precious 2 or 3 cleric team and stacking shields will still get you owned in this fight.

For example: In T2 Pirate. Group make up of mine lastnight was: Cleric, Control Wizard, 2, yes TWO Guardian Fighters, and 1 rogue.

Myself, the 2 GF's(one was good, the other did nothing but ninja the cleric item -=), and the control wizard next to the left side pillar on "All" the adds. The rogue stayed as DPS on Pirate, and if you've done it, you know its easy, just have to avoid his very noticeable ground FX. Rogue dps'd Pirate in the middle bottom side of boat. We dps'd down the adds, and swapped back and fourth, always rogue on boss, always us "focusing" on adds. Not once, this entire encounter, did any of my add group have to leave my shield circle, including me. I barely moved 10 feet the whole time, just a bit to stay close to the tank. I took 350kdmg that entire dungeon, and dealt out 9mildmg and 3.4mil healing.

Bottom line, like every other post like this. You just havent been with a GF who knows how to play his class, nor a cleric for that matter.
  • Options
    gorgothusgorgothus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013

Cheers!

Ah, trolls... Ok I normally don't feed, but I'll bite.
    WoW forums that way
    > cause from my experience in the past, Cryptic forums are usually a bit more mature then that waste of text.

Post if you have something intelligent to add, even if its a criticism, but if its just your epeen going off. Save it for the kiddie pool. L2P? Seriously? You figured it out? Well thank god.

Hell my 10th level cleric henchmen casts a measly 100 pnt heal and I've had issues using enforced threat + enhanced mark + the threat talents to pull the mob off. Maybe I should run in circles like clerics do so hopefully my henchmen will follow, that way I don't have to res her and tell her "Lolz L2p like munkey81"

Threat is broken, it's a valid issue with clerics and GF's. If the developers intent wasn't to have a class hold threat , then why are the tools in place? I somehow doubt the Dev's envisioned the class design to run around the map like a crazy person while the "tank" class casts powers that rarely pull off them for longer then 3 seconds.

Is it doable? I'm sure, quite a few have found ways around this borked mechanic, but after all my experience tanking; If there's a threat table built into the game and there's a tank class then simple logic dictates that the tank will usually have tools to control the fight. Not the current mechanic that it is. The odd thing is sometimes its threat control is fine, then all of a sudden it don't exist.
    ~FOUNDRY MISSION~ The Village on Ebon Lake ~Check it out!~
    Search Code NW-DQ3S67EKX
    H.P Lovecraft style Horror
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gorgothus wrote: »
    Ah, trolls... Ok I normally don't feed, but I'll bite.
    WoW forums that way
    > cause from my experience in the past, Cryptic forums are usually a bit more mature then that waste of text.

Post if you have something intelligent to add, even if its a criticism, but if its just your epeen going off. Save it for the kiddie pool. L2P? Seriously? You figured it out? Well thank god.

Hell my 10th level cleric henchmen casts a measly 100 pnt heal and I've had issues using enforced threat + enhanced mark + the threat talents to pull the mob off. Maybe I should run in circles like clerics do so hopefully my henchmen will follow, that way I don't have to res her and tell her "Lolz L2p like munkey81"

Threat is broken, it's a valid issue with clerics and GF's. If the developers intent wasn't to have a class hold threat , then why are the tools in place? I somehow doubt the Dev's envisioned the class design to run around the map like a crazy person while the "tank" class casts powers that rarely pull off them for longer then 3 seconds.

Directing me to WoW is laughable. Its constantly being said, by many GF's and Clerics, they arent having problems. But because "you" are, then it must be broken, gotchya. I am not running around at all, in any T2's like a crazy person, other than Icy, and thats because "Hromir's(sp?) encounter, its stupid and calls for it.

I'm glad you think I'm a Troll =) While I'm having a blast playing my cleric and grouping with GF's that hold threat, we'll make sure to "poor one out" for you poopee pants =)
  • Options
    aakekpwaakekpw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to take this from a different angle. My current main is a Guardian fighter and I have engaged in all content all the way to the Dracolich in Castle Never.

Due to the current game mechanics and how dungeons are set up, a guardian can not hold more than a handful of mobs at best 'locked' on him. Not only that but several encounters where ALWAYS on us then we would explode instantly. I am always the highest on damage taken by at least 50% more than the next person. What a decent guardian is going to be doing at least is mitigate the damage the group is taking but given the current game meta you are better off not having a guardian at all. Take another cleric or wizard (who knows how to control large groups) and you will be far better off.

Even with a target taunted attacking the AI on some mobs still causes them to attack others at random. You can notice this with certain mobs that will 'turn around' to do an attack to the rear/side then immediately turn back to the person who has the main aggro.

The guardian has basically 4 primary AOE's that they may rotate through. Cleave/Stab (at will) will only work on a small cone in front of them generating threat with 'no unreasonable' target limit (I can not for sure say it is unlimited but it can hit MANY mobs). Daily Villain's Menace is ~30 radius daily which seems to have no target limit. Frontline Surge - frontal 'pillar' aoe and Enforcing Threat (has additional threat) both have target limits.

Why do I mention target limits? Because there are many abilities which do not have limits or are very high. So this impedes a guardian in their ability in many ways by classes with fewer limits or encounters that are just stupid swarms over and over (which seems to be Cryptics signature boss fight mechanic of just unending adds during a fight).
  • Options
    gorgothusgorgothus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013

I'm glad you think I'm a Troll =) While I'm having a blast playing my cleric and grouping with GF's that hold threat, we'll make "poor one out" for you poopee pants =)

No actually I was pointing out your immaturity and that your words make you out to be a troll , glad we agree on that.

Plus I was wondering if you were actually using a two GF config to relieve the obvious aggro issues, so thanks again for proving my point. Cheers mate!

AAKEKPW, exactly thanks, I get the general idea it works, sometimes, with limits. Not to forget even in the current state would you at points want to have 100% threat on all mobs and the boss. I think rokuthy pretty much summed it up in his T2 reports.

It's just the weird and unpredictble behavior of the mobs even in the face of enhanced markx3 + enforced threatx3 + the threat feats etc can still produce zero results. Granted I'm not talking about certain mobs that already seem to ignore threat tables.

And lets not even mention the henchmen mega abilities. Fighters that effectively taunt and hold threat better. Priests whose minuscule heals erase all threat built.

It's not game breaking, but its really annoying. Plus I know they'll get to it eventually.
    ~FOUNDRY MISSION~ The Village on Ebon Lake ~Check it out!~
    Search Code NW-DQ3S67EKX
    H.P Lovecraft style Horror
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gorgothus wrote: »
    No actually I was pointing out your immaturity and that your words make you out to be a troll , glad we agree on that.

Plus I was wondering if you were actually using a two GF config to relieve the obvious aggro issues, so thanks again for proving my point. Cheers mate!

AAKEKPW, exactly thanks, I get the general idea it works, sometimes, with limits. Not to forget even in the current state would you at points want to have 100% threat on all mobs and the boss. I think rokuthy pretty much summed it up in his T2 reports.

It's just the weird and unpredictble behavior of the mobs even in the face of enhanced markx3 + enforced threatx3 + the threat feats etc can still produce zero results. Granted I'm not talking about certain mobs that already seem to ignore threat tables.

And lets not even mention the henchmen mega abilities. Fighters that effectively taunt and hold threat better. Priests whose minuscule heals erase all threat built.

It's not game breaking, but its really annoying. Plus I know they'll get to it eventually.

Only reason there was 2 GF's is because it was a Pug, and I chose not to leave the group. As I stated in the post, 1 GF was good who held all the aggro, the other was just an empty space in the group, was bad and did nothing, then stole a cleric item and left the group =) So no, your point was again faultered

I dont see anything I'm saying as immature honestly, I guess I did call one guy a poopee pants, /shrug other then that I'm calmly posting, laughing at the majority I know are about to bash there computer in anger =)
  • Options
    iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What's broken here is that I'm pretty sure most people rolled a cleric to heal- not to kite. It's misleading, but truly, that is what clerics are- they're kiters. I'm pretty sure if everyone knew that from day one, a lot of people would not have rolled a DC- or, a lot of people who rolled GFs would have rolled a DC instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]