test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please help a newbie

princemarkx01princemarkx01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi, Im a Newbie in this game... i played on CBT but only for 2 days.. and i started playing again yesterday... at level 5 im so overwhelmed by this quest, foundry, etc etc i dont even know where to start.. the guiding system (something glowing on the floor) is pretty messed up and some quest are in other language that i dont understand... can anyone give me a link on BASIC KNOWLEDGE and Got to know info about this game so that i can play properly without saying "What the **** is this? What is that? Hows this? Hows that?"

Yeah i know theres an ingame tutorial... but that only teach you how to move your char which is pretty much kinderganden...

Thank you so much to anyone who may help... god bless.

And to the devs of this game... can you please make at least some introduction or a part on this forum like a BEGINNERS GUIDE? coz right know i think a newbie should research and read tons of paperworks before understanding simple how to play and whats in this game... which is basically not a players thing in mind.. we play because we want to play and i know its kinda spoon feeding here but really when you have a game any game should have something that tells how to and whats this and whats that... which is i dont find in this game... -_-" or im not looking at the right place.. thanks
Post edited by princemarkx01 on

Comments

• Options
    lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you reached the city and Sgt. Knox, yet?

My suggestion would be to simply follow the quest line (s) for several levels ... at least through the BlackLake District and about levels 11-12. In essence, that stretch of the game also functions as a bit of a tutorial.

What is it that you're having trouble with as far as the quest (sparkly, glowy line) trail goes? It can be toggled on and off by hitting the Z key. Did you, by any chance, toggle it off by accident? That having been said, it can sorta go underground / disappear momentarily as you move around. Don't panic ... just move around a bit in several directions and see if it reappears.

As for Beginner's Guides, that sort of thing is usually put together by interested players and it's a bit early in the game (ahem ... pun not REALLY intended but ...) for that to have happened.

Feel free to PM me here if you have more questions. I promise to check the forum PM inbox from time to time (not a question of not being willing, mainly, I just forget to do it).

Good luck and happy questing! :)

Lottie
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Before anything else.. i just want to say that THIS GAME ROCKS!!! its awesome! **** im so happy to put up my sword and shield back into action... anyway yeah i know what Z is for...what i mean by that is when i go to the end of the path theres nothing there really... so for me to avoid confusion.. i abandon ALL the quest in my quest journal that are marked Q... i only left those with cube like crystal mark... and can anyone make that old woman who says something about blacklake and the guard whos whining about the mobs? really its annoying that i have to shut the speaker off...

As for beginner guide I saw 6 of them and unfortunately all they discuss is about the very obvious things that can easily found on the main website… and 80% of their post talks about foundry, Zen, How to get Zen, astral diamonds… economics… not for beginners really…

“My suggestion would be to simply follow the quest line (s) for several levels ... at least through the BlackLake District and about levels 11-12. In essence, that stretch of the game also functions as a bit of a tutorial.”

That my friend rocks… and I will follow that advice.. coz for now I don’t really know how the hell those foundry quest works.. and they don’t even have an information on WHAT LEVEL can get them.. I don’t want to dive into a quest with mobs 5 times higher than my level…HOWEVER if foundry quest works like quest who automatically match the players level… then that’s good… but for now I will follow the main quest… that’s all… if I don’t have anything else to do then I might go run with one foundry…

For the devs of this game.. how the hell is something will be appealing if you cant understand whats it for? Watch gods might be crazy and you will understand what I mean… anyway thank you so much for the reply and its obvious our devs are so busy not being able to give any suggestion to a ****… well I still wish that newbies are welcome in this game… but the game is really harsh on newbies… I enjoy this game when I was playing in CBT that’s why I will spend a little time to get more info.. I don’t think that most newbies will be like me.. so if you guys want to make newbies enjoy this and not feel so everwhelmed.. please kill that Well Informed Harper in blacklake and put him somewhere else.. and please add some info on the foundry quest…maybe level requirement if its needed? Not just when it was created who created it **** who the hell cares about those info? The only really usable info there is the duration… well cyah ingame… maybe after I finish researching a lil bit more…

I might look like saying this reply in a not so good way… but really… its just how you read it ^_^

Thank you so much Lottie
  • Options
    mai0mai0 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    to answer one of your questions. the quest guiding thing you can change from one quest to another if you wish. press j and then click the little arrow thing next to the quest you wish to have tracked. It will change the shiny path to the quest you have selected. (not every quest will have a auto track though..just a heads up)

if you wish to know more about the game...join a guild. I've been asking tons of questions in my guild to find out more things. The more people you can ask things about the better and the faster you learn how to play a game. There always seems to be some1 that knows something about what the others do not...and you not only help yourself but those in guild who may not have known either.

(side note)this game is fun if you like pve only. The quest and the quests other player make up are really fun. If you like games for pvp, however, you might as well give up for now til they fix it. The pvp system right now is highly broken and most pvp matches are afk matches so you get no fun out of it...just a waste of time.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can also feel free to check out the NWO-Newbies custom channel from my guide for help outside zone chat while playing.
  • Options
    lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Before anything else.. i just want to say that THIS GAME ROCKS!!! its awesome! **** im so happy to put up my sword and shield back into action... anyway yeah i know what Z is for...what i mean by that is when i go to the end of the path theres nothing there really... so for me to avoid confusion.. i abandon ALL the quest in my quest journal that are marked Q... i only left those with cube like crystal mark... and can anyone make that old woman who says something about blacklake and the guard whos whining about the mobs? really its annoying that i have to shut the speaker off...

As for beginner guide I saw 6 of them and unfortunately all they discuss is about the very obvious things that can easily found on the main website
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GO BACK TO WOW!!!!!

...wait...what? You like the game? :)
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just follow the golden path and take the time to read. I agree there is a lot of stuff. My wife can't stand the game because she plays through all the readings (WoWHead)

The rest you can find in the discussions to help you out
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I, also, am really enjoying the game! :)

You are very welcome, Prince. I'm happy to have helped. About the "sparkle" trail ... I'm still not really understanding the problem ... and, to the best of my knowledge, I've not seen or noticed a Q designation in my quest journal. So, I really don't know what that is. Just off the top of my head, the only thing that comes to mind, is to move about a little and see if an interact (Press F to enter X) doesn't pop up.

As for the guides ... well, as mentioned, it's early days yet and we may well see a more comprehensive type of guide appearing sooner or later. I'd keep an eye on this site, myself.

As for the Foundry, it's my understanding from the limited experience I've had, that most, if not all, quests scale to the player's or party's level. The main thing that you'd want to watch out for is that the quest you are taking is a solo quest and not a party quest if you are, in fact, solo.

The Well Informed Harper is the conduit for the Foundry quests and at least one can be found in every zone, if my observation and subsequent conclusion is correct. If you're not interested in doing the Foundry at the moment ... you don't need to interact with him.

And I agree that the old woman and the guard spamming their commentary is annoying ... again, this happens in every zone from one NPC and/or another. Your only recourse, annoying as it may be, is to turn down/off your sound. Or, beat feet outta there! Or, both! ;)

By the way, I think Morbic's suggestion is an excellent one.

And ... I see nothing wrong in how you are replying ... I pick up a bit of frustration, in general, but it's not coming out, to me, at least, as being directed personally.

Again, good luck and happy questing! :D

Lottie
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When in doubt go back to Sgt Knox . He offers quest that are level based . he will put you back on the story path .
  • Options
    danteildanteil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So how do you start Foundry quests? I picked a couple up from the job board thing but there was no indication of where to go to start them. Are you teleported there? I eventually gave up and cancelled them out.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    When in doubt go back to Sgt Knox . He offers quest that are level based . he will put you back on the story path .

Seconded. Sgt. Knox is the NPC that steers you from zone to zone, once you have finished the one you're currently working on. You are usually sent back to him when you've done all the relevant quests. And it never hurts just to check in with him.

Lottie
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    danteil wrote: »
    So how do you start Foundry quests? I picked a couple up from the job board thing but there was no indication of where to go to start them. Are you teleported there? I eventually gave up and cancelled them out.

Most foundry quests should give you the quest path like all the others. Some have custom map locations that you travel to or could start/use zones that are above your level range. This is the reason for the Harper Agents that can give you a limited list of foundry quests via rumors for the zone you are currently in.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    Most foundry quests should give you the quest path like all the others. Some have custom map locations that you travel to or could start/use zones that are above your level range. This is the reason for the Harper Agents that can give you a limited list of foundry quests via rumors for the zone you are currently in.

If I'm recalling correctly (and I may not be) the quest trail will take you to one of the gates in the area and you transition from there.
    Be sure that you have the Foundry quest selected in your journal to get the quest trail, however.

Lottie
  • Options
    danteildanteil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks I'll have to try the Foundry again. I'm pretty sure I tried selecting them in the Journal but don't recall any evidence of a trail. But maybe I did something wrong. Is there a way to tell what level range they are for? (sorry I know this should be in the Foundry discussion, but that seems to be all about making quests and I couldn't find anything about playing them)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Foundry quests mostly scale to level, but you might want to see if the description specifies a zone to access the content then look at your travel choices via the gate and see if it is listed in a zone with red lettering underneath it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    GO BACK TO WOW!!!!!

...wait...what? You like the game? :)

?_? WoW? Oh world of warcraft? haha never played that one... lolz

I love the game... but the tutorial sucks because its like only 1% of what should be learned...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    >,< Im level 10 now.. and QUESTIONS keeps getting more and more making the game more and more confusing...

This NPC told me on how and where to get rough astral diamonds.. it says that for me to be able to process rough astral i need to go to my inventory... and theres nothing there that says click refine and how many ROUGH needed to make 1 astral diamond... -_-" can any of the game developers add this info?

Also it says i can get rough diamonds through invocation... oh ok... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? HOW CAN I DO IT? someone told me that every hour i can go to altar and ctrl+i... not sure coz i dont know where altar is... campire yes... -_-"

and now im also with profesion... uhm someone told me you can get all... but they are useless.. ?_? why? and only the leadership thing is somewhat useful... why? -_-" **** my brain cells are bursting with why...

Everyone THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the info... i myself is making a NEwbie guide base on my gameplay so that new players can follow this one and STEP BY STEP with complete information they can play the game smoothly... done this with other games like... oh well not sure if im allowed to mention other games but to be safe i will not mention them... anyway this game is great! but the downfall is.. looks like the devs focused more on END GAME than GAME PLAY... i spent 5 hours for this game and i dont think im already reaching 5% of what i should learn and understand to play this game smoothly... i just wanna talk to a developer and tell him/her that games where supposed to take us away from paperworks, books, boss, jobs, etc... if you found yourself tired of school or work.. then this game is not for you... coz you might get more stressed and tired with this game.. but its fun though... lolz