test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Got Phoera but thinking of trading for Galeb Duhr

mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
edited August 2013 in The Library
So I actually got lucky and nabbed me Phoera companion. But as a Control Wizard I prefer a defender pet. I currently have Man at Arms which has done real well for me so far.

I was wondering what you all would think if I where to trade Phoera for a Defender pet, Galeb Duhr.
Would Galeb Duhr be better for a Control Wizard than Phoera?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by mrlee9569 on

Comments

• Options
    adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it would probably be better but you're not going to manage trading phoera for galeb, the elemental is quoted a lot more in the AH.
  • Options
    rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    I have Galeb Duhr at level 15 so far. Is there a way to order him to attack? He just stands there 80% of the time.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm seriously thinking about getting Galeb Duhr but just don't know if it's worth the money.
  • Options
    yummydownontheseyummydownonthese Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All the pets are rather lackluster except the Cat and the Stone because they give great buffs which augment our damage, which is waaaay more than a pet can put out. The damage:stat on pets is just horrible.
  • Options
    mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    All the pets are rather lackluster except the Cat and the Stone because they give great buffs which augment our damage, which is waaaay more than a pet can put out. The damage:stat on pets is just horrible.

I heard that Phoera is really good at higher levels. Not so great at lower level tho.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rhazes1 wrote: »
    I have Galeb Duhr at level 15 so far. Is there a way to order him to attack? He just stands there 80% of the time.

I haven't found out a way either. They just attack who you are attacking. But my companion attack as soon as I start attacking. Not sure why your is just standing still. :(
  • Options
    yummydownontheseyummydownonthese Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I'm only level 27 and my phoera is only 12 but she's got epics (max recovery) in every slot she has available and the damage is very meh.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well I'm only level 27 and my phoera is only 12 but she's got epics (max recovery) in every slot she has available and the damage is very meh.

Ya that's what i am worried about. And it seems the trade I want to do isn't worth it, which sucks heh. I really want a Rank 30 tank without spending Zen! :P

If there is anyone on the Beholder server that would like to trade, let me know! :)
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have a rank 30 galeb dur and he's awesome for soloing. He'll lock down the primary (bosses, Lt's) while you clean the trash. At higher levels though 50-60, you'll need to keep a ray of enfeeblement up on the boss or galeb will get beat down.

The dire wolf is also a great one for regular running. It'll interrupt a lot of heavy hitter attacks on you with its knockback.

Also, the fastest way to rank pets is with quest rewards. Never turn in a quest you've finished without having a pet out.
  • Options
    lsafa7llsafa7l Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well there isnt much soloing going on in late game so dps is best
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrlee9569 wrote: »
    I heard that Phoera is really good at higher levels. Not so great at lower level tho.

I was and am happy with my Phoera, while soloing she did great, especially once she hit 30 and i got her good gear. All active companions seem rather lackluster on all but boss fights, where they have longer to get involved and stay focused. White ones are useless at higher levels, yes even the cleric, as they just die too easy from aoe or being targeted. My Phoera can keep a boss active on her while i take the rest, although sometimes she loses aggro. I'm loving the ioun stone though for how much it boosts my effectiveness. That will probably be my focus in groups unless a different one would do better in some fights.
  • Options
    raithwynraithwyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Galeb sucks. His taunt has a 2min cool down. He might get aggro for solo mobs, but he wonthold aggro on bosses 60% of the time and he wont even gain aggro on groups of trash mobs. You'll be doing the teleport two step every time. The Man-At-Arms I got for free wont last as long in a fight but at least he'll keep everything off me until he does go down. Save your money until PW patches this companion.
  • Options
    xfirewallxxfirewallx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree with raithwyn.

Before dropping $$$ on my Galeb, I read where every single forum post said: "galem is great! He aggros and tanks bosses."

That's not close to being true. lol.

It does lose aggro all the time, and doesn't do a great job tanking bosses. If I'm in a solo quest with a boss and its spawn, the Galeb will run toward the spawn I'm attacking, while the boss targets me.

And even at lower levels, it did not do a great job staying alive with final bosses.

And most of the time - it just stands around.

Maybe it's a bug - but Galeb was a waste of $$$.

FYI: My Galeb is lvl 30. It doesn't do a great job at lvl 30.
    And one of the reasons it doesn't aggro well, or keep the bosses engaged, is because of the very loooooooooooooong cool down.

Maybe some grade 7-9 recovery enchantments will speed up its attack skills to where it's worth anything.