test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STR(Dmg) Vs. CHA(CA): A Very Small Scale Test

dohxboydohxboy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
The Purpose
Considering the permanence of our choice in stat allocation, I decided to do a simple test to see if there was any difference what so ever between the effects of STR and CHA on our normal and CA damage. With how hard it is to test this at max level, since you can't just reallocate stats, I completed this test as a level 4 human, on Training Dummies, with the starting equipment. The idea was that I could roll the human with equal str/cha and then drop the +2 into either stat on subsequent rolls to see if there is any change. Before I began this test, I understood that the damage numbers would be so small that I might not see anything, but to my surprise there was a change. Below are the three characters I used, their stats with campfire buff, and their damage ranges over a minimum of 100 swings on the dummies. ****Note: I only used the FIRST swing of our attack rotation, to maintain normalcy

The Test
Equal Stats: 14str/14cha, Normal Damage: 22-25, CA Damage:25-29
Higher CHA: 14str/18cha, Normal Damage: 22-25, CA Damage 25-29
Higher STR: 18str/14cha, Normal Damage: 22-26, CA Damage 26-31

The Results
After completing the first two tests with equal stats and higher CHA, I was almost sure that I wouldn't see anything with the higher STR either. Surprisingly, as small as it is, there was a change in the numbers. With a higher STR I was able to see an increase on the maximum possible damage that can be done.

To me, this answers a few questions that I had in regards to how CA operates and which stat would show the most return. This shows me that the increase from STR and CHA are not equal, despite each being a 1% increase, and that you can gain higher regular and CA numbers with STR than you can with CHA.

Disclaimer
As stated in the title, this is a VERY small scale test. It is not definitive as it doesn't take into account feats and other powers that may modify the worth of each stat. There may also be diminishing returns that I am unaware of that may make CHA scale better once STR reaches a certain point, though I don't think that is the case. Regardless, this is a small test that showed SOME change, enough that I though I should share it. Take it as you will.
Post edited by dohxboy on

Comments

• kuyuujikuyuuji Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dohxboy wrote: »
    The Purpose
    Considering the permanence of our choice in stat allocation, I decided to do a simple test to see if there was any difference what so ever between the effects of STR and CHA on our normal and CA damage. With how hard it is to test this at max level, since you can't just reallocate stats, I completed this test as a level 4 human, on Training Dummies, with the starting equipment. The idea was that I could roll the human with equal str/cha and then drop the +2 into either stat on subsequent rolls to see if there is any change. Before I began this test, I understood that the damage numbers would be so small that I might not see anything, but to my surprise there was a change. Below are the three characters I used, their stats with campfire buff, and their damage ranges over a minimum of 100 swings on the dummies. ****Note: I only used the FIRST swing of our attack rotation, to maintain normalcy

The Test
    Equal Stats: 14str/14cha, Normal Damage: 22-25, CA Damage:25-29
    Higher CHA: 14str/18cha, Normal Damage: 22-25, CA Damage 25-29
    Higher STR: 18str/14cha, Normal Damage: 22-26, CA Damage 26-31

The Results
    After completing the first two tests with equal stats and higher CHA, I was almost sure that I wouldn't see anything with the higher STR either. Surprisingly, as small as it is, there was a change in the numbers. With a higher STR I was able to see an increase on the maximum possible damage that can be done.

To me, this answers a few questions that I had in regards to how CA operates and which stat would show the most return. This shows me that the increase from STR and CHA are not equal, despite each being a 1% increase, and that you can gain higher regular and CA numbers with STR than you can with CHA.

Disclaimer
    As stated in the title, this is a VERY small scale test. It is not definitive as it doesn't take into account feats and other powers that may modify the worth of each stat. There may also be diminishing returns that I am unaware of that may make CHA scale better once STR reaches a certain point, though I don't think that is the case. Regardless, this is a small test that showed SOME change, enough that I though I should share it. Take it as you will.

Thanks for the effort of the test, my guess it might scale more difference on higher level, as well as with Combat advantage FEATS/Paragons, from what I see, there's more boost towards CA than STR, so I strongly believe at level 60 the difference might be huge
  • casia345casia345 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    your test was just too small. numbers and sample.

CHA is inbetween str and dex.

CA has 10% innate base.

So 14cha is 14% CA, 18cha is 18%.

Which side of the coin?

100 damage, 20str for 10%, and 20 cha for 20% CA=132
    100 damage, 21str for 11%, and 20cha for 20% CA=133.2
    100 damage, 20str, for 10%, and 21cha for 21% CA= 133.1

Its slightly devalued by the 10%. And the fact its not 100% up time.
    Cha does give 1% deflect though.

The 20% CA feat is multiplicative. while disc of str ADDS 6 or 7% to your total. which means each point of str is devalued.
    the CA feat increases your CA by 20%.
    so the 20 CHA, with 20% feat, will be 24 CA. this then means each point of CHA is MORE valuable.

So, if you have disc of str, the 20% CA feat, and feel you can maintain 100% CA uptime, then str and cha are about even.
    All other times, STR is primary. CHA is secondary. Dex is third, maybe even fourth. (unless duelist flurry debuff is really broken and giving 75% severity)
  • solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
  • papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When Deadly momentum gets fixed and drops from 75% severity to it's actual 15% there goes 1/3 of our damage... On a side note, tooltips might be bugged. I tested the saboteur tree, and the 30% arp gain from a kill shows as 15000 arp in stats.. I know ~3000 is 30% so go figure..
  • solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Oh ya. I remember doing saboteur while leveling, and if you kill things fast enough the paper doll will show you as having millions of armor pen.
  • shin0000shin0000 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    casia345 wrote: »
    your test was just too small. numbers and sample.

CHA is inbetween str and dex.

CA has 10% innate base.

So 14cha is 14% CA, 18cha is 18%.

Which side of the coin?

100 damage, 20str for 10%, and 20 cha for 20% CA=132
    100 damage, 21str for 11%, and 20cha for 20% CA=133.2
    100 damage, 20str, for 10%, and 21cha for 21% CA= 133.1

Its slightly devalued by the 10%. And the fact its not 100% up time.
    Cha does give 1% deflect though.

The 20% CA feat is multiplicative. while disc of str ADDS 6 or 7% to your total. which means each point of str is devalued.
    the CA feat increases your CA by 20%.
    so the 20 CHA, with 20% feat, will be 24 CA. this then means each point of CHA is MORE valuable.

So, if you have disc of str, the 20% CA feat, and feel you can maintain 100% CA uptime, then str and cha are about even.
    All other times, STR is primary. CHA is secondary. Dex is third, maybe even fourth. (unless duelist flurry debuff is really broken and giving 75% severity)

Well i'm going to switch to a Str/Cha character instead of a Str/Dex, losing 4% crit for 4% CA dmg (+4.8 with the 20% feat). Thanks for the tip!