test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF at will charge in pvp

yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I don't call OP often (first time in NW), and I'm not convinced that it is OP yet-but- what are your thoughts on the GF's at will charge in PVP? Seems like a pretty wonderous ability.

Also how do you counter it-GF can do a lot of damage when specced right and seems to be able to be constantly keep on you with that at will power.
Post edited by yasha00 on

Comments

• Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fighting a GF is tricky. You just gotta get a feel of when to dodge and hope for the best lol. in the right hands, GF are beasts! I fear a well played GF more than any other class. At least every other class I know how to counter easy enough. Most people use the same skill set up and rotation so its pretty easy. But GFs can mix it up pretty easy at any given moment (their rotation that is) All the gotta do is throw up block for a sec or 2 then come at you with skills in a completely different order throwing you off and making you waste your dodge on something you shouldnt have used it on.

on that note, I would love to group with a good GF in pvp. thatd be so nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    maatisanmaatisan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GF at will dash is low range and low damage, also if u are fighting on higher ground or on a ledge even if it's barely off the ground the GF's lunge/at will attack will not be able to reach you or do damage. I don't feel it's op because if the GF did not have this ability they'd be in the same state as GWF in pvp which is pretty pathetic, GF can only stand on equal footing because he spams dashing abilities(lunge, bull charge) and his dashing at will taking that away would cripple him.

Tbh having a control wiz and rogue double team a gf will take him down in seconds just like any other class.

GF vs Cleric = Good Cleric can keep himself alive and keep allies in the fight while tanking a gf going balls deep on him for a minute to a minute and a half which might not seem like a long time but it is.

GF vs control wizz = gf gets kited by long duration spells and while he's chasing him around leaves himself vulnerable to everyone else on ur team.

GF vs Rogue = Rogue should not be trying to solo a GF in the first place, go in when you see some crowd control on him and take him down with combat advantage, if the gf turns on you daze him and wait for more cc from a teammate and finish him off.

GF is a really good soloing/point defending class in neverwinter a class has to have some kind of strength this just happens to be the GF's in pvp.

Credentials: Level 60 GF, CW, TR, Level 50 DC
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    maatisan wrote: »
    GF at will dash is low range and low damage, also if u are fighting on higher ground or on a ledge even if it's barely off the ground the GF's lunge/at will attack will not be able to reach you or do damage. I don't feel it's op because if the GF did not have this ability they'd be in the same state as GWF in pvp which is pretty pathetic, GF can only stand on equal footing because he spams dashing abilities(lunge, bull charge) and his dashing at will taking that away would cripple him.

Tbh having a control wiz and rogue double team a gf will take him down in seconds just like any other class.

GF vs Cleric = Good Cleric can keep himself alive and keep allies in the fight while tanking a gf going balls deep on him for a minute to a minute and a half which might not seem like a long time but it is.

GF vs control wizz = gf gets kited by long duration spells and while he's chasing him around leaves himself vulnerable to everyone else on ur team.

GF vs Rogue = Rogue should not be trying to solo a GF in the first place, go in when you see some crowd control on him and take him down with combat advantage, if the gf turns on you daze him and wait for more cc from a teammate and finish him off.

GF is a really good soloing/point defending class in neverwinter a class has to have some kind of strength this just happens to be the GF's in pvp.

Credentials: Level 60 GF, CW, TR, Level 50 DC

This is just one of a GF's strengths. It is already the strongest pvp class without it.
  • Options
    tbldrparanoidtbldrparanoid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    I don't call OP often (first time in NW), and I'm not convinced that it is OP yet-but- what are your thoughts on the GF's at will charge in PVP? Seems like a pretty wonderous ability.

Also how do you counter it-GF can do a lot of damage when specced right and seems to be able to be constantly keep on you with that at will power.

My pro-tip of the day? Ignore it...

It's low range, low damage. Of course it's annoying but its mostly meant as a annoyance / follow skill till our encounters get from cooldown.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    starbigamo wrote: »
    are someone really complaining about GF? They SUCK, just ignore then kill the other then instagib then after killing the others, or just instagib him first, makes no diference.

They should rename it from PvP to TRvCW as there is just 2 classes playing it right now.

I'm not complaining about it, I'm asking the pvp community what they think about the GF at-will charge ability and how they deal with it. Also, the GF can 1vs1 any class if played decently so I don't see how that can be considered in any way "weak" in pvp.

In my opinion the classes are largely balanced in pvp, each very powerful in its own way. However, that GF at-will is an outlier that I haven't thought of a good strategy to counter yet which is why I'm asking about it. I guess atm just ignoring it while CDs on other skills are down is the best approach as paranoid suggests.
  • Options
    securussecurus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The GF has such a high skill cap that many players have trouble with them so they tend to either suck or be really good, a decent one is hard to kill 1v1 and are a threat if specced and played right, but also not hard to shut down if you have good teamwork. The problem is everyone goes into pvp with a 1v1 mentality from wow and that will cost you against a GF who can just wait for you to blow your cooldowns, most people rely on taking out someone in 1 or 2 rotations and when your build like that a GF who is designed for sustained combat is your worst nightmare as they are masters of sustained combat.

The problem is that a GF does not have a set rotation and they have quite a few different skills they might use depending on the player so its very hard to predict them. Every other class almost always uses a single build for pvp and have a set priority and rotation so they are predictible for dodging, I mean you can expect every rogue or CW to follow almost the exact same rotation every time in pvp so it is easy to counter and dodge and once you do they are fresh meat. A GF on the other hand has a lot of different options in how they can go about it, they have a lot of different options for combat and they also are not as reliant on encounters/dailies as everyone else so dodging does not help much against them.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Something to consider is that it means the GF sacrifices a higher damage or debuffing RMB at-will skill for it, and it does not make encounter abilities recharge faster.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Keep in mind that GF is the ONLY class without a dodge/teleport/slide/dash shift to run away. Actually if you block you move at the same speed of a crippled drunken turtle. Threatening rush is also a considerably low damage, low range move (it can, in fact, be outranged by a wizard's teleport, a rogue's dodge, or a cleric slide), and although being a decent skill to "keep up" with running people you need to be in range to just spam the short dash. Without that small dash though it would be almost impossible to ever be able to hit someone in pvp being the only class without any kind of dodge or dash to keep up. I would rather decrease the range on the Encounter dash, since that's is really long once at rank 3.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vaichana wrote: »
    Keep in mind that GF is the ONLY class without a dodge/teleport/slide/dash shift to run away. Actually if you block you move at the same speed of a crippled drunken turtle. Threatening rush is also a considerably low damage, low range move (it can, in fact, be outranged by a wizard's teleport, a rogue's dodge, or a cleric slide), and although being a decent skill to "keep up" with running people you need to be in range to just spam the short dash. Without that small dash though it would be almost impossible to ever be able to hit someone in pvp being the only class without any kind of dodge or dash to keep up. I would rather decrease the range on the Encounter dash, since that's is really long once at rank 3.

Do you mean that a GF can only use the at-wil charge if the target is in range? You can't just spam it as a movement ability? (Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for the help!)
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vaichana wrote: »

Nooo...Lunging Strike is great because it lets you fly up onto the second floor in a lot of places :D
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ignore a GF? He will CC you forever. Maybe his damage will not be enough to kill you, but cleric will not cast so much..
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I PvP All I do is charge and Knock. Everything is just to push you away from the point or close gaps for a Bull Rush.

It's fun lol.
  • Options
    urborgstalkerurborgstalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have threatening rush equipped, but honestly, I rarely use it. Between Frontline Surge, Lunging Strike, Bull Rush, and Indomitable Strength, my enemies spend most of their time on the ground with me right on top of them, constantly chipping away at their health while my stacked regeneration keeps refilling my health. Lunging Strike, honestly, is far more dangerous than Threatening Rush, especially if the GF has spec'd it to interrupt as it has about a 7 second cooldown timer and that's a lot of interrupting. I'm not geared all that well, no T2 stuff or anything, but in 1v1 I almost never lose and when I do it's usually due to already being half dead with everything on cooldown. ;)

That said, if there's a healer nearby, I can't kill anything. Ever.